Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 moss house

I suppose it is all outside of our control but it is a bit ridiculous to say that at this stage you cannot get a concrete figure on the likely fees

As I understand it the fees at UL are staying as they were at least I hope so all I need then is to be offered a place Anything over 55 and I’m snookered

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭e1994

Yeesh, this might discourage me from picking UCD over RCSI, since their fees haven't changed

Yeah it's a bit worrying alright, I would love to know what the hold up is!
    Too late to change my choice now though so will have to wait and see.. and hope for the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Hopefulgem2018

e1994 wrote: »
    Yeah it's a bit worrying alright, I would love to know what the hold up is!
    Too late to change my choice now though so will have to wait and see.. and hope for the best!

I’m in the exact same boat as I have UCD down first! I am beginning to wonder if they got a lot of kick back over the fact that the fees were going to be going up by 10% in one year (much more than the usual 4% they specify) and are they having to now reconsider as a consequence...this could end up working in our favour but we will just have to wait and see.

I’m in the exact same boat as I have UCD down first! I am beginning to wonder if they got a lot of kick back over the fact that the fees were going to be going up by 10% in one year (much more than the usual 4% they specify) and are they having to now reconsider as a consequence...this could end up working in our favour but we will just have to wait and see.

Oh yes that makes sense actually because the change in fees would apply to all GEM students not just first years?
    Unless they change it now and make it applicable to only incoming students :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9 29lem

Have people received their confirmation of legibility for GEM application from CAO this morning? I would deduct that the GEM committee have met and determined the cut off scores for each institution this year too.

• Advertisement

29lem wrote: »
    Have people received their confirmation of legibility for GEM application from CAO this morning? I would deduct that the GEM committee have met and determined the cut off scores for each institution this year too.

Yes just got an email this morning also!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tka1

Contacted the CAO and unis yesterday regarding possible cut-offs...given pretty definitive notice that I’d have to wait until August 2nd

• Registered Users Posts: 9 29lem

Tka1 wrote: »
    Contacted the CAO and unis yesterday regarding possible cut-offs...given pretty definitive notice that I’d have to wait until August 2nd

Wouldn't expect anything less from them, its simply a matter of a waiting game now...

I think this question has been asked already however I can't see the answer! Does anyone know with the BoI loan do you have to draw down the full amount of €15,000 each year or can you choose to draw down less?

To be honest I haven’t even given a thought as to how I will finance this if I am offered a place don’t want to be counting the chickens too early.
    To offer myself some encouragement I went through the cut-off points in the various universities yesterday and it appears that they have been very consistent over the years so I think it will be a bit of a miracle if they do drop as there is little concrete evidence to suggest otherwise.
    No harm in wishful thinking I suppose .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Hopefulgem2018

e1994 wrote: »
    I think this question has been asked already however I can't see the answer! Does anyone know with the BoI loan do you have to draw down the full amount of €15,000 each year or can you choose to draw down less?

I have a friend who drew down less each year because she had some money saved, so unless this has changed since she was doing GEM I’m pretty sure you can draw down whatever amount you want per annum (obviously as long as it’s within the 15,000 range).

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Limk88

moss house wrote: »
    To  be honest I haven’t even given a thought as to how I will finance this if I am offered a place don’t want to be counting the chickens too early.
    To offer myself some encouragement I went through the cut-off points in the various universities yesterday and it appears that they have been very consistent over the years so I think it will be a bit of a miracle if they do drop as there is little concrete evidence to suggest otherwise.
    No harm in wishful thinking I suppose .
    What do you put the cut-off scores to be for each college?

If I could answer that question I’d be a very wise man I just looked at the scores in recent years the only one I’m really interested in is UL because with a score. have a 55 I don’t think I will be in the running for anywhere else. In an ideal world I’d love UCD but can’t see that happenIng based on the cut offs in the previous years. If I was to have a bet I would think that the cut offs in August will remain as they were last year I’m sure there are plenty who would disagree with this prediction.

moss house wrote: »
    If I could answer that question I’d be a very wise man I just looked at the scores in recent years the only one I’m really interested in is UL because with a score. have a 55 I don’t think I will be in the running for anywhere else. In an ideal world I’d love UCD  but can’t see that happenIng based on the cut offs in the previous years. If I was to have a bet I would think that the cut offs in August  will remain as they were last year I’m sure there are plenty who would disagree with this prediction.
    I'm on 55 also and have UL down first.  I get worried every now and then that it will increase but I just keep saying that 55 would get you in the last 8 years!

Yes here’s hoping 55 does it
    54 was sufficient on most occasions and it also appears that the increase or D crease was minimal when it did happen

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭ChromosomeT

what would people think are the chances of a 53 getting a place in UL, possibly on round 1 or round 2? I have booked the Gamsat for September nonetheless :o

If there is any truth that the number of applicants was down this year and the subsequent required scores lower there is every chance that the 53 would get you into UL however other than that it is only speculation. Despite searching around extensively I could not find any real concrete evidence that the number of applicants was lower

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

People got into UL on 50 and 49 before on round 3 offers and offers made after round 3 outside of the ceo. This was in 2012 and 2013 when demand was all time low. Don't give up hope yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

If people are getting in on those scores you’d wonder why they even bother with the GAMSAT. They should lower the requirement to a 2.2, perhaps make them require a slightly higher GAMSAT score like they do in Nottingham.

The other issue is cost - not possible to even consider accepting a place for a lot of people, so that lowers demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭ChromosomeT

if it was the case of being accepted on round 3 offers, is there the chance to defer entry until the following academic year, seeing as this offer comes from the college as opposed to the CAO? Obviously, the course would have started and it would be a lot of pressure organising a move to Limerick so suddenly :eek:

• Advertisement

I just spoke to some people in UL and the information they gave me might be part of the reason why applications not as robust
    Fees for year 1 almost fifteen and campus accommodation 7 so 22 thousand before you even walk in the gate. A lot of money when you don’t have it so in reality this will deter many people like myself and others who don’t have it. Anyway we will cross that bridge on August 2 if things work out

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭futuremedic777

Less than 10 days to go guyysss

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kirby2k07

So the fees for UCD look set for 16,500 per year just gave it a check there

Kirby2k07 wrote: »
    So the fees for UCD look set for 16,500 per year just gave it a check there

Annoying but at least we know I suppose!

Just as a matter of interest does anybody know what time the offers will be available to view online

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭indiep

6am!

Do you get an email if you don't get an offer also?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭indiep

Oooooof something i'd rather not think about but yes I think you get an empty offer list ;(

Sorry, I know it's not something that we want to think about but I think knowing is better than not knowing!  Hopefully it all goes well for you - less than 6 full days left :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kirby2k07

Any random current current GEMs here know how much tax relief we can get on fees? Read this from 2015

"If you paid tax this year then you can claim tax relief. You can claim up to a max of 7000 per course per year. This first 3000 is disregarded. So you get 20% of 4000 tax relief i.e 800euro tax back. That's if you have earned enough and paid 800 tax though.

If you haven't paid tax this year then get a parent to submit the receipt in their name so they can get tax relief."

I presume the max is set at 7000 because thats generally the full fees cost of a normal undergrad course. And the first 3000 surely wouldn't be disregarded because we've already out of the free fees scheme? Just me dreaming we can get 1400 instead of 800 yaro in tax relief....

Advertisement