Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Residential Log Cabin

• 26-06-2017 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

So myself and OH have been renting together now for 10 yrs. We have 2 kids and are getting to the point now where we feel like we will never get onto the property market. We find ourselves in a position at the moment where we must take a leap of Faith now or keep on waiting.

So we are trying to find an alternative way in. We are looking into buying a residential log cabin (3bed) and putting it on a site. Planning permission is looking like it is a possibility but i need to know more as I will not go forward with this on a whim.

I have looked at pricing for insulation, electrics, plumbing... I think I found a company that will do an insurance deal for us.

But what other pit falls are there?? What are the questions I should be asking??

This is not our permanent solution but it is our way out of this disgracful rental disaster that's there at the minute. We hope to be in this for 10-20 yrs, pay it off and then work on our mortgage. We are both still young enough but with the way the renting is now, owning a house is just not looking possible before 40yrs old the regular way.

Tia.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Log cabins seem to come up on a very regular basis so a quick search might be worth it. However it seems to me, to be a distraction from actually buying somewhere. The cabins aren't cheap and one would think if you could afford one you'd be in a position to put down a deposit on a house.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

trixychic wrote: »
    Hi guys,

So myself and OH have been renting together now for 10 yrs. We have 2 kids and are getting to the point now where we feel like we will never get onto the property market. We find ourselves in a position at the moment where we must take a leap of Faith now or keep on waiting.

So we are trying to find an alternative way in. We are looking into buying a residential log cabin (3bed) and putting it on a site. Planning permission is looking like it is a possibility but i need to know more as I will not go forward with this on a whim.

I have looked at pricing for insulation, electrics, plumbing... I think I found a company that will do an insurance deal for us.

But what other pit falls are there?? What are the questions I should be asking??

This is not our permanent solution but it is our way out of this disgracful rental disaster that's there at the minute. We hope to be in this for 10-20 yrs, pay it off and then work on our mortgage. We are both still young enough but with the way the renting is now, owning a house is just not looking possible before 40yrs old the regular way.

Tia.

What county is this in?
    Planning generally doesn't get granted for log cabins.

Next question is how you can make this log cabin meet our current building regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

kceire wrote: »
    What county is this in?
    Planning generally doesn't get granted for log cabins.

Next question is how you can make this log cabin meet our current building regulations.

They are done by a company called timber living. My sister in laws friend got one a couple of yes back. It's lovely... although hers is just a 2 bed. She was in wexford. Im in co. Carlow. It seems to have met the building regulations but that is something I will look into. Thanks.

Again this is just something im trying to see if it's a possibility. As it seems we could make it work for under €100k.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

They are done by a company called timber living. My sister in laws friend got one a couple of yes back. It's lovely... although hers is just a 2 bed. She was in wexford. Im in co. Carlow. It seems to have met the building regulations but that is something I will look into. Thanks.

Again this is just something im trying to see if it's a possibility. As it seems we could make it work for under €100k.

I'd start by searching for your sister in laws friends planning application/permission for the log cabin.

If you find an application, you'll learn exactly how difficult it is to get permission for a residential log-cabin that is planning compliant.

Graham wrote: »
    I'd start by searching for your sister in laws friends planning application/permission for the log cabin.

If you find an application, you'll learn exactly how difficult it is to get permission for a residential log-cabin that is planning compliant.

That's a fantastic idea. Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

On a point of pedantry, I have never actually seen a "log cabin" in Ireland that is made of whole logs.

I suppose "pressure-treated plank cabin" doesn't really have the same appeal.

Lumen wrote: »
    On a point of pedantry, I have never actually seen a "log cabin" in Ireland that is made of whole logs.

I suppose "pressure-treated plank cabin" doesn't really have the same appeal.

Ha ha ha defo not. Log cabin sounds much more appealing. Ha

• Registered Users Posts: 10,183 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Would it not be easier to call it a prefab?

That's a fantastic idea. Thank you.

And you might point us to the application online on the councils website.
    Nobody has ever been able to provide a link to a granted log cabin that has subsequently been constructed to our current building regulations.

Now a normal built home with a timber clad is a different storey.
    I look forward to the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Wasn't last years winner of Home of The Year, a log cabin, over looking a lake somewhere in the midlands?

Didn't look overly fussy or authenitically log cabin-y from the outside, but the interior layout and design of of the inside spaces was incredibly well thought out and planned. I'd say it would be a hard enough to pull off, without a very good architect who'd know how to integrate the basic shell of the cabin into modern life styles and needs.

• Advertisement

Log cabins do occasionally get permission. The proper log-cabins that is, made of actual logs.

I don't think I've ever come across one of the pressure treated plank 'cabins' that's been granted planning for residential use.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Wasn't last years winner of Home of The Year, a log cabin, over looking a lake somewhere in the midlands?
    I don't think I've ever come across one of the pressure treated plank 'cabins' that's been granted planning for residential use.

http://www.thejournal.ie/westmeath-cabin-rte-home-of-the-year-2741813-Apr2016/

Has bedroom and bathroom so I assume it has planning for residential use. Would be much of a "home" otherwise.

?width=630&version=2741849

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

As it seems we could make it work for under €100k.[/QUOTE]

A quick search of Daft brings up 13 houses in Co. Carlow under €100,000, would one of those not be a better investment than a "log cabin"?

GoneHome wrote: »
    A quick search of Daft brings up 13 houses in Co. Carlow under €100,000, would one of those not be a better investment than a "log cabin"?

This one? :pac:

YzU3M2FiOTkxYzA3OTk1ZDhiOWY2Y2JiOWU2ZDZkMzQjFfSNNs9i5P6heSQoZrB-aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL21lZGlhbWFzdGVyLXMzZXUvYi85L2I5NWI5YTAzNjRkNDE0ZTc1OGRhMGRhMmMzZjZmOWYwLmpwZ3x8fHx8fDYwOXg0NTd8aHR0cDovL3d3dy5kYWZ0LmllL2kvd2F0ZXJtYXJrX2RhZnQucG5nfHx8.jpg

Seriously, none of those houses under 100k are built to current regs, so it's not comparing like with like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

There are a handful of people building proper log homes in Ireland but planning is a nightmare.

We were told, in writing, by the head of planning, that our "Hansel and Gretel" style house would be out of keeping with the character of the local area...

It wasn't of course but they needed a reason to turn it down..

When I saw the term he used to described the house i knew we hadn't a hope..

So sustainability went out the window and we built with concrete instead.

Its such a shame because they make beautiful houses that last for generations when built correctly..

http://www.thejournal.ie/westmeath-cabin-rte-home-of-the-year-2741813-Apr2016/

Has bedroom and bathroom so I assume it has planning for residential use. Would be much of a "home" otherwise.

Fantastic looking place, looks like it was a renovation of an existing cabin. Would be interesting to see if something like that would get planning now.

Fantastic looking place, looks like it was a renovation of an existing cabin. Would be interesting to see if something like that would get planning now.

+1
    And terms like forest cabin, and lakeside cabin make me think this is not officially classed as a dwelling. Would be interesting to see the planning status of it.

May the OP can clarify, are you looking for a "log cabin" that you buy for 20k or are you thinking of a proper built house with external timber cladding.

I asked earlier but it has still gone unanswered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Seriously, none of those houses under 100k are built to current regs, so it's not comparing like with like.

I was thinking more along the lines of this one
    http://www.daft.ie/carlow/houses-for-sale/carlow-town/79-the-laurels-tullow-road-carlow-town-carlow-1480805/

Without even considering planning permission that would probably work out cheaper than even the cheapest 'log cabin' by the time you've taken into account electricity, water, waste, local authority contributions, foundations etc etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Swanner wrote: »
    There are a handful of people building proper log homes in Ireland but planning is a nightmare.

We were told, in writing, by the head of planning, that our "Hansel and Gretel" style house would be out of keeping with the character of the local area...

It wasn't of course but they needed a reason to turn it down..

When I saw the term he used to described the house i knew we hadn't a hope..

So sustainability went out the window and we built with concrete instead.

Its such a shame because they make beautiful houses that last for generations when built correctly..

Which would be understandable if you lived in say...the Cotswolds, where there is a distinct local building tradition, of immense charm and beauty. But most of Irelands housing stock is bog standard housing estates, with bog standard 3 bed semi detached houses...or bog standard bungalow blitz style dormer bungalow, after bog standard bungalow blitz style dormer bungalow. I've a hard time seeing how deviating from that, could be at all wrong, regardless of what you want to build.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

I was house hunting about 3 years ago.
    I came across two log cabins, one which was proper logs and seemed to be holding up very well was near glendalough.

Another which was more the flat timber planks was in Donabate on a nice big site, but the structure itself was icky and I think probably needed lots of work.

Both put questions of how long they would last into my mind. The real log one I would say fared better over time.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Which would be understandable if you lived in say...the Cotswolds, where there is a distinct local building tradition, of immense charm and beauty. But most of Irelands housing stock is bog standard housing estates, with bog standard 3 bed semi detached houses...or bog standard bungalow blitz style dormer bungalow, after bog standard bungalow blitz style dormer bungalow. I've a hard time seeing how deviating from that, could be at all wrong, regardless of what you want to build.

Absolutely..

I wouldn't mind but the house next door, less then 10ft away, was timber clad and there's another log home within 2 minutes walk..

There is no character to be in keeping with as the houses in this area were built over many decades and span many shapes, sizes and styles.. No 2 are the same...

When we did finally get some feedback via a third party, we were told they wanted us to design a house, similar to those in a nearby estate.. Why they wanted this I'll never understand but to us it felt like a case of computer says no.. I don't think they can handle anything that strays off the manual. We did ask for pre planning meetings but were told the only way to find out if plans would be accepted would be to lodge an application.

So after a few rounds of that we just gave up and built the concrete box they wanted us to build..

kceire wrote: »
    +1
    And terms like forest cabin, and lakeside cabin make me think this is not officially classed as a dwelling. Would be interesting to see the planning status of it.

May the OP can clarify, are you looking for a "log cabin" that you buy for 20k or are you thinking of a proper built house with external timber cladding.

I asked earlier but it has still gone unanswered.

Sorry my young man's birthday party is tomorrow and im up to my eyeballs.

Im looking to get a "log cabin" for €30-40k. It would be the first step to getting the property ladder started for us.

SIL friend is off on holidays at the min so will be talkin to her when she gets back and I've booked appoint with planning commitee so we'll just go from there.

There is a reason that the houses in the laurels and Burrin manor are so cheap. We are a family with 2 young children. My eldest has Autism and my youngest is in the process of being assessed. I would be terrified to move into those estates. They are filled with drugs and violence.

It may sound like im being picky but I lived in estates like that as a child with very traumatic outcomes. I'll keep renting before I go back tk one of those.

Besides like I said. According to the bank we are still coming up short on mortgage criteria. We were hoping ti take out a large personal loan instead to pay for things.

Im looking to get a "log cabin" for €30-40k. It would be the first step to getting the property ladder started for us.

Realistically even if you miraculously got planning permission, you'd spend the largest part of your budget before you got anywhere near a cabin.

Have a search through the other threads about 'log cabins', the idea comes up very regularly and none of them have ever resulted in a poster coming back with good news.

The headline prices you see is usually for an outbuilding. Something you might use as a games room/studio/office. For any other purposes you're going to need to invest in water/drains/biocycle/electricity/architects/local authority contributions and additional expense to make the cabin compliant with building regs.

Take a look at the development contributions required for Carlow, it looks like they start at €5k before you look at the charges from Irish Water: http://www.carlow.ie/wp-content/documents/uploads/Development-Contribution-Schemes-Applicable-for-Town-and-County-010716.pdf

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Realistically even if you miraculously got planning permission, you'd spend the largest part of your budget before you got anywhere near a cabin.

Agreed, I'm sorry trixy but these log cabins aren't the amazing low cost housing solution the vendors make them out to be.

Dam maybe not. May come up with something else. Ok. Thanks

SIL friend is off on holidays at the min so will be talkin to her when she gets back and I've booked appoint with planning commitee so we'll just go from there.

I think you should start preparing for a Plan B.
    This will not work out.

Agreed, I'm sorry trixy but these log cabins aren't the amazing low cost housing solution the vendors make them out to be.

It may have changed in recent years but to fair to them, the vendors we dealt with were both clear and direct on prices..

Not one of them pushed a log home as a low cost solution.

Quite the opposite in fact..

It was obvious they were used to people looking for a cheap alternative to bricks and mortar and so they put us straight on that at the outset.

I agree though.. Log homes aren't cheap.. If you don't have the funds to build a regular house, you won't have the funds to build a log house..

Best of luck OP and i hope you find a solution..

• Advertisement

Thanks guys. We have a few ideas in place and we are just looking into options... very thoroughly.

It's important for our boys we get some stability sorted. And as close to their school as possible. Change can be very difficult for my boys. We need to be very sure of our next move before we take it.

I appreciate all the input from yous.

Advertisement