Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kilbarrack???

Options
  • 17-04-2005 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

We are thinking of Kilbarrack to buy a house.
    Can anybody please give me some advise about the area?

Thanks.

Gustavo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,243 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It's the area featured in various books / plays by Roddy Doyle who is a teacher in a school in the area. The films generally paint the area in a bad light and are unfair, but have a bit of truth also.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0236486/

The Van (1996) (novel) (screenplay)
    The Snapper (1993) (TV) (novel) (screenplay)
    The Commitments (1991) (novel) (screenplay)

The area is quite mixed with mostly working class housing estates with 3- and 4-bedroom houses and a few of the steroetyped flats in "The Commitments". There are a lot of new houses and apartments being built north of Clare Hall Road / Grange Road. The area around Howth Road / Dublin Road is more middle class.

Access is good, with rail/DART (weekend cancellation until summer 2005), road, bus, airport, nearby.

Choice of shopping in Donaghmeade, Raheny, Sutton or Clare Hall. Lots of local schools, parks, beach.

Be aware of the Dublin phenomenon of "skanger" and their tendency to loiter on street corners after dark. Also note that the area around Howth Junction DART station isn't very nice.

Make sure where you live is close enough to where you work, study, etc. Traffic is notorious in Dublin.

Because of the amount of new houses and apartments being built north of Clare Hall Road / Grange Road, don't expect prices to rise in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

well the flats were demolished about 3 - 4 years ago, so dont worry about that,

howth junction is being completely rebuilt and generally isnt too bad these days,
    same for kilbarrack station,

kilbarrack is big though and depending on your address you may be a long way from the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Yup pretty much what the other two have said, was quite dodgy when the flats were there, flats are gone 3 or 4 years nows the area has improved alot. Obviously the area, like any other area in Dublin contains its fair share of scum but if you keep your wits about you and have a bit of sense you'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

The area is dodgy. Facilities about and appears to be getting better but it is still a bit dodgy. There is a huge increase in housing coming into the area and surrounding areas. I think North Star and Donabate are names worth searching to check what is happening. The schools are not great as far as I know and with the new housing coming in they are going to be stretched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

it depends on the price of the house ,its a good mature working class area ,good bus and dart acess,with shopping centre, its certainly alot better safer than areas like corduff,ie settled most older population,many purchased thier houses from dublin city council.just dont buy house at corner end of row ,or too close too shops or pubs,drive buy the house ,at 10pm or evenings, and at weekends, to make sure no skangers are hanging round .on that street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i grew up beside it, grange.

it was a bit dodgy for years, it has settled down alot. still alot of skobes, skangers with prams etc...

the flats were hidious, but to be honest the apartments they replaced em with are just as hidious, looks like a prison.

which part are you thinking of? i nearly bought in roseglen a few years back, and was bidding on one on swan's nest, both grand gafs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Thanks a lot to all for your answers.
    I only a saw a few good-price places there and I was wondering what the area is like. I didn't think of any place in particular.
    Please tell me if I am wrong but it looks like everywhere in Dublin are good and bad areas just a few meters away. Impossible to say this is good and that is bad.
    Think we'll take the bicycle and go for a round to see by ourselves.
    PD: If any of you need advise on good-bad areas in Argentina, just give me a shout ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

if i was to buy in kilbarrack, i'd live on the edge, the one's next to foxfield would be the more expensive end of kilbarrack.

Advertisement