Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Areas to buy in

• 29-03-2005 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

My wife and I are looking to buy our first house soon and we have a budget of approx €275k.

We both work in Dublin so we are looking mainly at places on the train line.

Areas that we have narrowed it down to are

Gormanston
    Balbriggan
    Rush
    Celbridge
    Newbridge
    Leixlip
    Clonsilla
    Coolmine/Carpenterstown
    Cabra/Broombridge

Any advice on which of these areas are recommended would be welcome as I'm not a local and unfamiliar with all of them.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

don't have any knowledge on some you have mentioned

Balbriggan - pretty far from Dublin
    Rush - also pretty far
    Celbridge - 40 mins on the bus to city centre - great place
    Newbridge - pretty far from dublin
    Leixlip - same distance from city centre as celbrige but not as nice (my opinion)
    Clonsilla - not sure about the rep of there, I think you would have to get advice on which area of clonsilla to buy in (afaik)
    Cabra - I wouldn't recommend it

personally I love Celbridge and am actually in the process of buying a house there at the moment, also it's worth a note to say that you can at least find a house for the amount you have to spend and it's in a safe area - you can find a 3 bedroomed house in the Castletown area of Celbridge for 245k approx

I presume you are working in Dublin, it would help to know where as there is no point buying a house the far side of the city or you'll spend half your life travelling to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭full forward

Maynooth is also nice and its very easy rent out a room or two to students.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Maynooth is also nice and its very easy rent out a room or two to students.

though the down side is
    you'd have to live in a town full of students... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

swords?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

Balbriggan isn't far from town- it's 20 miles and with flowing traffic can take 30-35 minutes to get home straight down the M1.

Its by the sea too, has 4 supermarkets, loads of schools, all the major banks, has a good commuter train, Bus Eireann and 33 Dublin Bus routes. Also has a Bus Eireann Night Rider and Nite Link you can get at night.

House prices are increasing but are still fairly reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

Gormanston is pretty rural and has no housing developments. It's probably Stamullen that you're thinking of as a few new estates have been built there but again fairly rural and you need a car.

Rush doesn't have any supermarkets (well excluding Eurospar) so you have to travel to get the groceries. Don't like the place myself. Bit out of the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭imeatingchips

Donabate's alright too. New apartments there about a 100 yards from the train station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

would recommend Maynooth over Leixlip/Celbridge, t

for commuting, trains are more frequent than celbridge and it can be close to full by the time you hit Leixlip i.e. no seat. Bus adds 10mins unless you get a 66x which goes on motorway in morning.

nightlife/weekend, there's a better choice of pubs/restaraunts.
    shopping facilities much better.
    there's also a serious amount of houses being built over the next 2 years so you will have a better choice.

ever check out clane/kilcock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

if u want good return on investment ,ie 10percent capital appreciation buy in cabra away from main road or pub, or near city centre ,u can easily get house in clonsilla 4 240k cos prices have stalled there due to competion loads of new estates being built but the traffic is heavy during daytime and at morn,evening rushour, make sure not to buy house thats close or bordering on, to corporation estate or pubs shops,good rebrick in cabra is a good investment ,it depens on what area u work in,think of time commuting and travel times ,traffic levels vary in different areas.

Advertisement