Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Temporarily renting a house we are going to buy - possible?

• 17-04-2019 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi,

My partner and I have bought a house and are ready to close but there has been a problem with our mortgage protection - the application has been delayed because we had to get private medical reports. I'm hoping this is sorted ASAP

I am selling my apartment also and the buyer wants to be in next month as his lease is up.

We didn't anticipate the delay with mortgage protection and thought we would have been in our new house well before then.

My solicitor is on holidays this week so can't get speaking to him and I'm in a bit of a panic.

Would 'renting' the property we are buying be a feasible option here, has anyone done it before?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The chances of being allowed rent the property you're buying is close to nil - the risks to the vendor are far too high. Mortgage protection suppliers analysis of medical reports is unlikely to create a significant delay, but you would be best served looking for short term (holiday/tourist style) rentals if it is likely to be a short delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Prospector1989

My folks did this for 6-8 weeks as there was a delay in the probate of the house they were buying. The house was empty so they just did a deal privately with the seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭katie275

Our sellers rented the property up until September 2018 so I think they would be registered with RTB, the house is vacant, would a short term lease protect the vendors here while giving us peace of mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

katie275 wrote: »
    Our sellers rented the property up until September 2018 so I think they would be registered with RTB, the house is vacant, would a short term lease protect the vendors here while giving us peace of mind?

No, its stupid messy for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

There are such things as caretakers agreements to allow purchasers to move in early however they are only used when the delay is fixed ie as allready stated waiting for probate. It will generally not be given if the matter that is delaying the sale could affect the whole transaction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭shelly24

We tried to do that a few months ago, we sold our house and were buying a vacant house so we tried to rent it and there was no way.
    Years ago there used to be a ‘caretakers agreement’ where you could but it’s too risky for sellers

My folks did this for 6-8 weeks as there was a delay in the probate of the house they were buying. The house was empty so they just did a deal privately with the seller.

Out of interest, did they arrange this via the estate agent/solicitor or did they know the seller?
    Could be worth a shot, we are really under pressure!

Out of interest, did they arrange this via the estate agent/solicitor or did they know the seller?
    Could be worth a shot, we are really under pressure!

What exactly is the delay over?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

They would be stupid to do it especially as the hold up is due to an inability on your side to drawn down the finance. If they allowed you to move in and ultimately you could not get the finance and we’re unwilling to move out, they would likely take 18 months or more to have you removed. Very different from a hold up with probate on sellers side where they can get a solicitors undertaking as to the availability of finance. This won’t be available in your case.

randomrb wrote: »
    What exactly is the delay over?

The mortgage protection people (irish life) want private medical reports from my GP due to a well controlled and non life threatening medical condition. It's very unlikely we would be declined, possibly a higher premium. We should have had this handled well before now but our broker didn't apply for the protection until we had a closing date.

I'm just in panic mode as today is my GPs last day before she goes off to get married, I contacted this morning and no sign of the report even though irish life said they sent it on monday :(

Under pressure also because I sold my apartment and the buyer wants to be in next month as his lease is up

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

You may need to look for a short term rental for yourselves, if you want to close on your apartment. A friend of mine had a similar problem with her life insurance, and it took ages to sort. The sale nearly fell through because one life cover company ended up refusing to cover her. Luckily she got cover elsewhere for an increased premium, but it was touch and go for a while.

It's very unlikely we would be declined

You wont be able to get a short term deal, if there is any chance of being declined their solicitor will advise against no matter how unlikely.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Could you try airB&B until its sorted or just tell your buyer there is a delay

Talk to your solicitor, he may have inserted a clause in the sale that it will only close when you have your new property

I was able to get cover from Laya health immediately online, they have much less stringent requirements for medical history, so relieved!

Advertisement