Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car inspection and delivery service

• 09-11-2015 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a person/service that they trust.

That could do an inspection, pay the seller and deliver a car to one of the ports in Ireland.

I'm considering buying something in Scotland and Im just not in a position to spend a day or two travelling.

Do any of the ferries do a service where the driver does not need to travel with the car?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

Yes there was someone advertising that service on Done Deal, I think he was from Kilkenny. I would advise you to have the car checked out well. I have bought a few from Scotland, with New M.O.T., and they were complete rust buckets, mainly due to all the salt that they have to put on the roads there.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭selfdiy

mattroche wrote: »
    Yes there was someone advertising that service on Done Deal, I think he was from Kilkenny. I would advise you to have the car checked out well. I have bought a few from Scotland, with New M.O.T., and they were complete rust buckets, mainly due to all the salt that they have to put on the roads there.

Excellent point on the salt. Probably best if I get the rac todo an inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

The ferry companies offer 'unaccompanied freight' services, you need to have the car there two hours before sailing, they drive it on and off for you.

https://www.irishferriesfreight.com/new-customer/information-hub.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pryantcc

selfdiy wrote: »

That could do an inspection, pay the seller and deliver a car to one of the ports in Ireland.

I'm considering buying something in Scotland and Im just not in a position to spend a day or two travelling.

Do any of the ferries do a service where the driver does not need to travel with the car?

Ah Sh1te! I just came back from there on Sunday. I have some contacts in Scotland who would at least check it out for you, where abouts is the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭winnie the schtink

the road trip is what it's about,the car is only secondary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 avaconirl

selfdiy wrote: »

Remember it is your money that they are spending. Also try not to buy a car that has lived in scotland or northern england all its life. SALT SALT SALT.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭selfdiy

Thanks for all the replys.
    It looks like the only right way todo it is go and see.

I must admit this salt thing is putting me off in a big way.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭nmacc

Try and find one in the South of England. I've brought over a couple from the Devon and Cornwall area. Not rust-free, but pretty good.

Another point is that London cars tend to have better specs. Just as UK cars are better equipped than their Irish counterparts, so London cars tend to be better than their rural cousins.

Advertisement