Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bought a car on auction in UK without v5

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Yarisbob

Hi All
    Work this one out !! The scenario is a one owner 09 NI reg Merc E300 estate - Owner moved to South due to work for 3 years reregestering the car here for free. He moved back in to the north again and got a brand new NI reg as his previous one was indeed retired on the DVLA system. He moved back up about 3 years ago.

The Tax office in NI sent him home with the Irish Tax Book as they said they didnt need it as all his details were the same as before with his old NI reg. There was no change of ownership at any stage so it was a smooth transition.

He had the presence of mind to sign the car as off the road here before going back to NI so the car is now registered in 2 countries. He never bothered to return the Irish tax book to Shannon and the car still comes up on the NCT system, Micks Garage etc.

I have been offerd this car and I am seriously considering it as I need a good runaround

Am I playing with fire if I get him to sign the Irish book then I post it to Shannon, just put on the Irish reg plates, insurance NCT and tax ?

Im still in a quandry about the V5C - Looks like I will just have to break her up and forget it

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mustang12345

Hi All, did anyone manage to register a UK car here without a V5C and it being classified as a permanent export on the DVLA database ? Im in that situation now unfortunately, I do have a UK address I can use but to re-register the car in the UK to get a V5C does it have to be brought back over first to MOT and Insure it ? All advise very much appreciate !!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭jlow1

Hi All, did anyone manage to register a UK car here without a V5C and it being classified as a permanent export on the DVLA database ? Im in that situation now unfortunately, I do have a UK address I can use but to re-register the car in the UK to get a V5C does it have to be brought back over first to MOT and Insure it ? All advise very much appreciate !!

No it doesn't have to be brought back over for any of that.
    Fill out a V62 form with the UK address and they will get the new V5C.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

jlow1 wrote: »
    No it doesn't have to be brought back over for any of that.
    Fill out a V62 form with the UK address and they will get the new V5C.

that will not work as the car is marked as exported the car will have to be re-registered in the UK and that means it has to be MoTd first.,

It is in effect no longer registered. I'm not really sure quite how you would re-register it in the UK with no paperwork....

Isambard wrote: »
    that will not work as the car is marked as exported the car will have to be re-registered in the UK and that means it has to be MoTd first.,

It is in effect no longer registered. I'm not really sure quite how you would re-register it in the UK with no paperwork....

Then maybe try get them to issue the export cert to the UK address?
    Are export certs gone completely now or is it just that they wont send them to addresses outside of the UK?

I would fire off the V62 form anyway only cost you a stamp.

Other than if Isambard is correct then you could try re-register it in the North?

• Advertisement

jlow1 wrote: »
    Then maybe try get them to issue the export cert to the UK address?
    Are export certs gone completely now or is it just that they wont send them to addresses outside of the UK?

I would fire off the V62 form anyway only cost you a stamp.

Other than if Isambard is correct then you could try re-register it in the North?

they don't issue export certs anymore. Why would they issue one to a UK address when the car isn't there any more?That's the cause of the entire problem! Read the thread.

they don't issue export certs anymore. Why would they issue one to a UK address when the car isn't there any more?That's the cause of the entire problem! Read the thread.

Relax there pal only trying to help the guy, I am well aware of the thread content as I have contributed to it before to which you reared up then also iirc.

I would try any other avenues before having to bring it back over the water or go north to reregister & MOT if you can. If you bought off a dealer I'd try to get them to rectify.

Tks Isambard and jlow1, I was in contact with DVLA and Irish Customs, DVLA said only document available will be the V5C but car will have to be re-registered in the uk and has to be mot'd and taxed aswell before they issue the V5C , Irish Customs said without V5C they wont register it, an absolute joke so it is that DVLA wont issue an export form anymore !! looks like only option is bring back into england / NI and go through the registration process there , so so frustrating :-(

Tks Isambard and jlow1, I was in contact with DVLA and Irish Customs, DVLA said only document available will be the V5C but car will have to be re-registered in the uk and has to be mot'd and taxed aswell before they issue the V5C , Irish Customs said without V5C they wont register it, an absolute joke so it is that DVLA wont issue an export form anymore !! looks like only option is bring back into england / NI and go through the registration process there , so so frustrating :-(

very frustrating and no sign that anyone is trying to fix this and presumably Brexit will make that less likely.

It's my belief the export certs were stopped as an anti-fraud measure

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

It's not a joke.

It's actually very simple.

And it's written in plain English on the V5C that you do NOT send the whole document to DVLA when exporting a car, as you will need the document it to re-reg it (in the new country). The only bit you send them is the tiny section, Section 5 on current certs, Section 11 on older ones. Or just drop them a note to tell them it's exported.

Either way, the V5 doesn't go to DVLA, and hasn't done so for exports for decades.

Why don't people actually read the V5?

Here it is on the current and previous V5 iterations:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

Well galwaytt, if its very simple using your exact words how will i register a uk car in ireland without a V5C which i never received because the insurance company that sold it through auction never had the V5C in the first place due for whatever reason i dont know and from my knowledge its a very common issue with cars sold by insurance companies having no V5C. The permanent export form used to solve this problem until the DVLA stopped issuing it so now leaving many people with exported cars in a bad situation so forgive me for saying it again it is a joke that they have created a problem by removing this form !!

I believe the reason for stopping issuing export certs was an anti-fraud measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Yarisbob

Well galwaytt, if its very simple using your exact words how will i register a uk car in ireland without a V5C which i never received

John is 100% right and is not being a nark - no V5C is a big issue

Your only hope is to get a trusted acquaintance in the North or UK to apply for a replacement- putting the car in their name until the V5C comes - then you reg it here!

However with the pandemic the DVLA are well cut back and also it depends on how your relationship is with the person in the UK. You might sell the car to that person

Or just drive the car until you get grief and let the customs or Garda come up with a solution -

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

galwaytt wrote: »
    It's not a joke.

It's actually very simple.

And it's written in plain English on the V5C that you do NOT send the whole document to DVLA when exporting a car, as you will need the document it to re-reg it (in the new country). The only bit you send them is the tiny section, Section 5 on current certs, Section 11 on older ones. Or just drop them a note to tell them it's exported.

Either way, the V5 doesn't go to DVLA, and hasn't done so for exports for decades.

Why don't people actually read the V5?

How come its taken 9 pages to reach this point?

Buy a car in the UK without a V5 and you are on your own! With Brexit looming you are REALLY on your own!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

I got a classic from Silverstone auctions and they told me after i had it here that i could apply for a nova cert.. They got another load of vehicles from the consignor (jaguar germany) and log book was was with them. it took months and car is newer than advertised, they do not care. But i have also got a I10 Hyundai that i will probably bring to a ni auction or get Someone to mot, it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Dont want to start a new thread, an I right in saying there is no way you should buy a car with no v5.
    Classislc car for sale near me, will be 30 years old in two years. Guy has no v5, checked DVLA marked as exported.
    Now price is negotiable and I could part it out if needs be.

Redriddick wrote: »
    Dont want to start a new thread, an I right in saying there is no way you should buy a car with no v5.
    Classislc car for sale near me, will be 30 years old in two years. Guy has no v5, checked DVLA marked as exported.
    Now price is negotiable and I could part it out if needs be.

can't be registered here with no V5C. Export marker means it would have to be returned to the UK, MoTd and re-registered. Car is virtually worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

can't be registered here with no V5C. Export marker means it would have to be returned to the UK, MoTd and re-registered. Car is virtually worthless.
    Yep that's what I thought, would be ok to part out though

indeed possibly a bargain!

Advertisement