Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vintage vehicle with no papers

• 16-04-2014 8:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi folks,

This query concerns a 1983 Honda Motorcycle. I posting this here as it would be the same issue with a vintage car.

The bike has no reg and no log book. The bike belonged to an old work buddy of mine from years back.

He has now passed on and his widow contacted me to see if I would be interested in it. The bike itself has been stood in a shed for maybe 20 years.

The chap had bought it as an import from the states and having enquired at my local Garda station, the bike was never registered.

The engine number and frame number are untouched but not on any system in Ireland.

It seems he bought it and never did anything with it, any papers are long gone.

Is there any way of registering this bike. If I were to buy it I would need to be sure I could register it in my name and tax it.

Im sure situations similar to this have happened before. I appreciate any help and advice you might have.
    Post edited by macplaxton on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ozf

I was in a similar situation, contact me offline

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

ozf wrote: »
    I was in a similar situation, contact me offline

Why can't you post it here:confused:

No reason as long as you're not doing anything illegal.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Honda could possibly date it.

First reg date should get put down on the new papers as 1/1/83.

http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/yourhonda/frequentlyaskedquestions/
    Year Of Manufacture

Honda (UK) can issue a Year of Manufacture letter for motorcycles originally imported and distributed by Honda (UK) only. We require the full VIN. A Year Of Manufacture letter will assist you with obtaining an age related registration from the DVLA, it cannot be used as proof of ownership.
    There is a charge for this service £25+VAT by cheque or postal order in UK sterling to the following address:
    Honda (UK) Customer Operations
    Year Of Manufacture
    470 London Road
    Slough
    Berkshire
    SL3 8QY
    We may require up to 2-6 weeks to obtain the information especially in cases where the motorcycle is older than 1995 as we have to contact the originating factory.

Don't know if Honda Distributors, Ireland would be any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭HTB

macplaxton wrote: »
    Honda could possibly date it.

First reg date should get put down on the new papers as 1/1/83.

http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/yourhonda/frequentlyaskedquestions/

Don't know if Honda Distributors, Ireland would be any help.

I will give the Irish Distributors a call tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

OZF - I did send you a pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 nsumick

Hi - does this mean you just need a dating cert from the manufacturer in cases where theres no paperwork or registration number?
    thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Silent Shrill

It's a lot more complicated than you think.
    I recently had to do similar. My bike had no reg, just engine/frame no's. I knew it had come from the UK originally, but had been in Ireland maybe a couple of years, used as an off-road bike. Try getting previous ownership details without a reg!!! aarggghhh!
    I searched high and low trying to get assistance in getting the reg through frame number alone. The dvla are a total waste of time. None of those "car/bike" search for hpi etc., are any good without reg.
    I eventually came across a geezer on a forum in the UK, about 6 months later, who stated he could get any reg number through frame number alone. Trouble was he wanted 20 notes payable through paypal for the fee. So I googled him and found out he was, or seemed, honest. I sent him the dosh, and 10 minutes later I had all the hpi report, previous owners, and everything I needed......job done. I applied for an export cert from DVLA using some form on line, and it arrived within a week, stating myself as the owner. Down to the ncttcn centre to have it registered here for 85 bureaus.
    So I succeeded eventually.
    You're a bit luckier, you have the chaps widow. She will need to verify the bike was her husbands and you go to a justice for peace person and he/she will do the necessary for you to apply for a tax book. It's not that difficult as I've also done this for another bike, just a bit of fart-arsing about.
    If you're prepared to stick it out you'll get one.

Forgot to mention, my bike was a honda, also an american import, and also never registered, but I still got a book.........eventually.

You will also have to have the frame/engine numbers verified by a main dealer. I went to my local main car dealer who did it, (and never charged me), so you do not need to pay expensive Honda mechanic rates!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

I HAVE HONDA GL 1000 AND A FOUR FOUR BOTH 1976 BOTH IMPORTED FROM SYDNEY IN 1990 AND BOOKS WENT MISSING .LOOKS LIKE I WILL HAVE A JOB AHEAD OF ME THANKS FOR ADVISE.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭HTB

Thank you folks for the reply.

Seems there is hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭John Larkin

Silent Shrill: I've sent you a PM.

• Advertisement

Silent Shrill: I've sent you a PM.

Details sent via pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 phelanpw

Hi. Anyone have any more look with this situation. Recently acquired an old honda 70. No reg number or log book. Any more clarity on the process of getting paperwork? Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,971 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If it was registered here, Shannon might be able to find the reg no. if you give them the frame number.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Steve Bike

How did it work out in the end? Did you get the bike registered?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jake Falk 2323

Hi wondering how you got on as I’m in a similar situation with a Yamaha xt 550 bike was used off road so reg and book have been lost engine number and headstock number are fine and clear bike cane from Netherlands we are pretty sure as I trust the buyer and that’s what he told me

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MG650

Hi guys,

I know this is an old thread, but I have a Bultaco Sherpa 350 T 1975 without any paperwork or registration information, can anybody help me understand how to obtain this information and register the vehicle in Ireland, thanks!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

As you know it's old and have already started a new thread...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement