Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Workhouse Deaths and Burials

• 02-04-2020 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking for information on the burial place of a great grandfather.
    He died in South Dublin Union Workhouse, around James Street area in 1934.
    We had word he was buried in Glasnevin, but they checked and confirmed he wasn't.
    I've checked a couple of other graveyards too, with no avail.
    I'd love to know if anybody had information on the burial locations from this workhouse, (probably mass gravesites) or an idea where this information could be obtained.

Regards.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Do you have a death notice for him?

If you want to post his name and date of death I can check newspapers for you.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Whereisgerry?

Hi,
    I'm looking for information on the burial place of a great grandfather.
    He died in South Dublin Union Workhouse, around James Street area in 1934.
    We had word he was buried in Glasnevin, but they checked and confirmed he wasn't.
    I've checked a couple of other graveyards too, with no avail.
    I'd love to know if anybody had information on the burial locations from this workhouse, (probably mass gravesites) or an idea where this information could be obtained.

Regards.

My great great grandmother died in South Dublin Union Workhouse. She was buried in Glasnevin, with her husband who had died a short time before her - he died at home and my great great grandmother had a son and a married daughter living in north Dublin so we have never figured out why she died in the workhouse.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Yes, absolutely. It was probably the nearest hospital.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Boss Of Bosses

My great great grandmother died in South Dublin Union Workhouse. She was buried in Glasnevin, with her husband who had died a short time before her - he died at home and my great great grandmother had a son and a married daughter living in north Dublin so we have never figured out why she died in the workhouse.

Sorry to hear that. It's a very sad ending to a life. After all we wouldn't be here only for these people. With the help of Hermy, the first reply to my post, I found out where my Grandfather is buried, it was wonderful news to me. We can now mark the grave as it has no headstone.
    My Great Grandfather died there too, South Dublin Union Workhouse.
    His Father before him died in Rathdown Union Workhouse sadly too.
    Doesn't necessarily mean they were total paupers. Illness, physical or mental can gain you access to a workhouse. Tragic stories altogether but a fact of life back then. I'm glad to hear they were buried together your Great Grandparents.
    Maybe she needed full time care and was put of their depths to take care of her.
    Just found out last night my Great Great Grandfather was admitted with "Pains".
    He eventually died a year and eight months later of brain disease, so must have been a serious illness your Great Grandmother had.
    FindMyPast.ie has the workhouse records, entry and exit.

Regards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The rebels saw workhouses as part of the British set up, so started dismantling (and 'repurposing') them after 1921. South Dublin Union became a municipal hospital (fully by about 1929) and was renamed St. Kevin's until 1971 when it became St. James'. Of course people still referred to it for years as the workhouse.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    The rebels saw workhouses as part of the British set up, so started dismantling (and 'repurposing') them after 1921. South Dublin Union became a municipal hospital (fully by about 1929) and was renamed St. Kevin's until 1971 when it became St. James'. Of course people still referred to it for years as the workhouse.

Yep, exactly, I read that over the weekend. Original British idea. And the history of the South Dublin Union. Thanks. ðŸ‘

Deja Boo wrote: »
    Weren't workhouses also considered medical care for the poor?

Absolutely yes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Sorry to hear that. It's a very sad ending to a life. After all we wouldn't be here only for these people. With the help of Hermy, the first reply to my post, I found out where my Grandfather is buried, it was wonderful news to me. We can now mark the grave as it has no headstone.

OP has found what they were looking for.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement