Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Glorney Gilbert International 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Neo_Ninja wrote: »
    Of course! Thanks for that! Looks like we could win on board 2 in the Gilbert. Do we lose the tie break?

Yes, lost tie-break unfortauntely.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

In the Conor Maher game White played 62. Bd5?? and black replies ...Kc7
    That's got to be a relay error right?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Yes there have been more moves since (judging by the clocks) but it seams the board has broken down.

In the Conor Maher game White played 62. Bd5?? and black replies ...Kc7
    That's got to be a relay error right?

Board is broken. Reports from inside say he's losing. COD is going to draw so If Maher holds on, we win. If he doesn't, we just lose out.

How close has this been?!

Very close, great entertainment! Well worth the price of admission :-P

• Advertisement

DRAW. WE WIN!

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭sinbad68

Very strange and disappointing performance from the blanchadrstown pair , wonder if they had flu or something ?. The "filler" lost all his games to lower rated players.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Full list of Glorney results on Olimpbase, although a couple are wrong (e.g. we didn't win in 2009/2010)

We were joint winners in 1963 and outright winners in 1958 - and that's it.

There's a similar link for the Faber/Gilbert; will dig it up.

Edit - Faber here. We won in 1969 (joint) and 1978.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Past_Pawn_99

The "filler's" games are all reported as a loss. He's just there to give the other board 5's their full 6 games :)

The "filler's" games are all reported as a loss. He's just there to give the other board 5's their full 6 games :)

As he lost all his games subbing for a different federation, then perhaps the name " filler " should be replaced by " Trojan horse" in this case .:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭checknraise

Well done to the guys great result.

Looking through the list of previous winners tho it certainly was a much stronger competition. These guys are so good so young id say in a couple of years they could be a match for anyone.

sinbad68 wrote: »
    As he lost all his games subbing for a different federation, then perhaps the name " filler " should be replaced by " Trojan horse" in this case .:D
    He didn't lose all his games.
    Looking through the list of previous winners tho it certainly was a much stronger competition. These guys are so good so young id say in a couple of years they could be a match for anyone.
    Yup. Also a bigger tournament; would be good to see France, Holland, etc, back

In 2000, John Kennedy beat Sebastien Maze!

cdeb wrote: »
    He didn't lose all his games.

Are you telling me , they scored it as a loss for all his games on glorney website because he was a sub from a different federation without providing actual results and after making that deduction, we are supposed to guess which games he won and which he lost ? with glorney site providing NO info about all this ?.

Are you telling me , they scored it as a loss for all his games on glorney website because he was a sub from a different federation without providing actual results and after making that deduction, we are supposed to guess which games he won and which he lost ? with glorney site providing NO info about all this ?.

It's all there in the individual cross table

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Past_Pawn_99

I don't really think it matters what the actual result was, he played so the board 5s got their full 6 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MBradley

Great results by the players...many congratulations...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

Yes congratulations to all concerned. Two equal firsts and a massive win in the under-14s is very encouraging for the future.

It undoubtedly justifies the inclusion of those concerned in the Irish Championship to give them tough experience just before the junior internationals.

I remain somewhat puzzled that two under-rated teenagers (Boland and O'Neill) were allowed in the Irish Championship when they weren't on any of these teams. Was there a late change of line-up or were they never supposed to be playing?

Conor Maher (bottom board in the Glorney team) didn't play in the Irish Ch, and Tom O'Gorman was young enough, I think, to be on the Robinson team. Please correct me if I am wrong on that but the FIDE ratings site gives his birth year as 2002.

I am not saying he should have been on the Robinson (especially in view of the great outcome where O'Gorman played well), just wondering why the two aforementioned played the Irish but not the juniors.

Dylan was on the coaching panel but his rating wasn't high enough for the Glorney. His rating was 1350 at Christmas; he only came to attention at Bunratty, when he nearly won the u-2000 section. He was then a late replacement for someone else on the coaching panel. Paul O'Neill wasn't on the coaching panel I think, and his rating wasn't high enough for the Glorney team.

Anyone who qualifies for the Glorney and another team is given first dibs on the Glorney. (Henry Li turned this down and played for the Robinson). Anyone who qualified for the Robinson and Stokes is selected on the Stokes.

Thanks for the info which partly answers my question. i.e., why Dylan Boland was admitted to the Irish Championship but wasn't on the Glorney.

It doesn't answer the other query, why Paul O'Neill was allowed play in the Irish Championship where he had a very hard time. It would have been better for all concerned had he played the Intermediate championship and Scarry Cup.

I don't really think it matters what the actual result was, he played so the board 5s got their full 6 games.

Actual results might not matter to you , but it does to most people. For a prestigious tournament to publish FAKE results on their website's result page ( by not posting actual results on the same page & giving an explanation about circumstances ) and making a good samaritan ( tirziman) look like a patzer, is simply not acceptable.
    It doesn't answer the other query, why Paul O'Neill was allowed play in the Irish Championship where he had a very hard time. It would have been better for all concerned had he played the Intermediate championship and Scarry Cup.

Paul O'neill has a fide rating of 1954 and qualified to play in irish championship based on merit .

• Advertisement

Re Paul O'Neill, I (perhaps) stand corrected but see below. At 1954 FIDE he was prima facie eligible for the Irish Championship but how did he get that rating without being considered strong enough for the Glorney?

I imagine that (unusually for juniors) he will have lost FIDE points and gained ICU points in the Irish Ch. The only game he won was where MacElligott blundered (move 67) in a dead drawn rook and pawn ending.

I didn't play him in the tournament so have no personal agenda, just wondering about the underlying junior development policy?

Looking at the FIDE ratings website, I am extremely puzzled how he got this (apparently provisional) 1954 rating.

No FIDE-rated tournaments (other than blitz and rapid) are mentioned for him except the 2014/2015 Ennis Shield (3 games) and the 2014 Irish intermediate (again 3 rated games). Nothing prior to that. This is hardly an adequate statistical basis for a rating that is considered to make him eligible.

The conclusion seems to be that a provisional FIDE rating based on six games should not have been considered to make him eligible.

His new rating next month, based on eight further games, will be a much better indication of his current playing strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Actual results might not matter to you , but it does to most people. For a prestigious tournament to publish FAKE results on their website's result page ( by not posting actual results on the same page & giving an explanation about circumstances ) and making a good samaritan ( tirziman) look like a patzer, is simply not acceptable.

The results weren't fake. Wales forfeited the board in all games. So the site is showing the team result. The FIDE results will show the individual board results.

FIDE ratings can be very up and down alright.

Have a good run of form in the Heidenfeld, for example, and you could get an inflated FIDE rating.

I guess then the logic is that if you reckon your FIDE rating will even out at something lower than 1900, why not take the chance now to enter the premier competition in the country?

Had the Ennis been rated by the time of the Irish?

FIDE recently reduced the number of games required for a full rating - it was 9; now it's 5 or something. Again, aiding the chance of a statistical aberration like this.

(Like yourself, nothing against the player in question, who beat me when we last played - but maybe FIDE ratings should only be considered if a player has no ICU rating, as the latter contains far more relevant info?)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Chessrookie

On the queries above;

I think Sean Paul O Neill played Heidenfeld for Naomh Barrog in 2013/2014 where he will also have had a series of FIDE rated games.

Dylan Boland was part of the ICU coaching panel and obviously has shown well this year. He may possibly also have received the ICU juniors wildcard for the event.

Surely it is a sign of the development in Irish Junior chess that 6 juniors played in this year's senior championship compared to 2 last year.
    This depth in the junior ranks is showing itself in the strong Glorney performance.

in relation to age, Tom O Gorman is indeed 12 and was eligible for the Robinson (he was a member of the winning Stokes team in 2013), however he was strong enough and ready for the Glorney itself (he won the Irish U18 championship this year).

Note that both Alex Byrne and Henry Li were both also born in 2002.

The strong competition for places on this year's Glorney panel has pushed all the players to work hard and keep developing their game to the benefit of all in Irish chess.

Re Paul O'Neill, I (perhaps) stand corrected but see below. At 1954 FIDE he was prima facie eligible for the Irish Championship but how did he get that rating without being considered strong enough for the Glorney?

Irish Championship accepts either ICU or FIDE for entry requirement.

Glorney is based on published (May) ICU ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Chessrookie

On the Glorney;

Kudos to the organisers to have all 40 boards live online. It would be great if the ICU had their own digital boards so that all Irish Weekenders could avail of this resource.

Congratulations to the squads and coaches. The investment of time and resources by the ICU into junior coaching with our best coaches is very evident in the overall performance this week. The fact that a wide number of our top juniors have now had access to this coaching the past three years is excellent.

There was a great spread of clubs covered in the 4 squads this week.

Blanchardstown
    Naomh Barrog
    Elm Mount
    Gonzaga
    Rathmines
    Dun Laoghaire
    St Benildus
    Curragh
    Enniscorthy
    St Michaels
    Limerick
    Cork

The competition for the 20 places on these squads is very competitive with the children working extremely hard all year long to make the Glorney squads. It is great to see such a wide representation.

By all reports the venue was excellent and the level of organisation was superb. The ICU junior officer did a super job pulling it all together.

Finally the overall results for Ireland were fantastic. It's hard believe we went from 1978 to 2013 without any success in these competitions. This year to win 2 and come second in a third on 2nd tiebreak is an outstanding result and hopefully a good sign for the future of Irish Chess.

reunion wrote: »
    The results weren't fake. Wales forfeited the board in all games. So the site is showing the team result. The FIDE results will show the individual board results.

poorly informed as usual, The website shows both team & individual results and Triziman is shown to have lost all his games ( which is Not true) , No reference to actual results or the fact that triziman games have been forfeited( any other tournament would show forfeited games) is made on result's page , and we should not have to wait over a month to get actual fide results to be published to find out about this tournament.

http://www.glorneycupchess.org/glorney.htm

poorly informed as usual, The website shows both team & individual results and Triziman is shown to have lost all his games ( which is Not true) , No reference to actual results or the fact that triziman games have been forfeited( any other tournament would show forfeited games) is made on result's page , and we should not have to wait over a month to get actual fide results to be published to find out about this tournament.

http://www.glorneycupchess.org/glorney.htm

He is listed as a filler. The team results are correctly recorded on the team results page. Triziman's individual results are correctly listed on the individual cross-table. It's not the Glorney's fault if you can't follow that...

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Retd.LoyolaCpt

reunion means here (i can't post urls yet so just delete the space):
    glorneycupchess .org/individual_crosstable.htm

• Advertisement

Just uploaded all the photos from the event here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/eclipsechaser/sets/72157655705006298

I'd also like to add a huge congratulations to the kids involved (and those that didn't make the teams this time around - you pushed the standard higher and made the Irish teams better). It's some achievement considering we hadn't won the Glorney since 1963. Great to see members of the '58, '63 and '78 teams giving out the prizes.

Kudos must also go to the ICU for running the best event I've ever seen. There was nothing but praise from visiting players, parents and coaches. This year's Glorney really has set the standard for all future events. Junior Officer, Desmond Beatty, deserves massive credit for putting together an incredible tournament. Well done!

Advertisement