Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Topalov Challenges Kramnik to a rematch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

hey! you got to it just before me!

I find this stuff quite exciting, although I would love to see Kasparov get involved, so long as the Russian government don't kill him first.

I don't understand why I find this stuff so thrilling. In my real life I'm like a shorter, more handsome Indiana Jones but these intellectual stand offs are a real kick in the mule.

Now that computers are our masters I would love to see a resurgence in aggressive sacrificial play. Who knows?

Can I ask you adbiel, as only you and I actually seem to post here, do you think the game is exhausted or can it be resurrected? genuine question.

personally I'm happy to play for the next sixty years as it is but do you see a way to destroy the theoretical stranglehold that computer programming seems to have imposed on the board?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Abdiel

Well I think it's quite an old problem really, even Fischer said years ago that chess was dead - basically a lot of it these days is preparing an opening, maybe with some theoretical novelty. Although the main reason for this is the level of players we are talking about, you would expect them all to be tactically and strategically proficient, so they look for small deviations in the opening to take their opponent into territory they have already prepared for.

Presonally I prefer Topalov's play to Kramnik's. I accept Kramnik is one of the best in the world, but always with 1.d4 and against 1.e4 usually a Petroff defence. I was actually glad to see Deep Fritz beat his attempt at a Najdorf in their last game - maybe he will feel more need to practise his Najdorf in tournament games. I guess I just appreciate more attacking play at that level than the gradual grind-away style of Kramnik.

Will be interesting to see if the rematch is accepted, not sure of Kramnik can legally refuse as it seems to fit all the requirements for a challenge. I wonder will Topalov prepare something against Kramnik's Petroff if it does rather than just Slavs and Catalans again.

I guess we will have to wait and see :)

Advertisement