Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to Watch All Ireland Hurling Semi in the States. Help?

• 13-08-2010 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Ok so here's the problem. I live in the states (not cool.) and theres no way i could be at the game so i have to settle for watching the game on a tv (even more not cool). then i find out, feckin MHz Networks (who is carrying the game in the states) isn't even being offered in MY state. So now i'm trying to find the game online and it turns out, only you lucky lads back in ireland can watch it. Huge downer. Anyways, how on God's green earth can i watch this game over here?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

buy access to an irish vpn and watch it online. search irish vpn on google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 JimOshea

Not lookin' to be payin' for this haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I was in the same position as you and it basically comes down to how much anxiety you want to put yourself through. You can never be sure about free online steams until the match starts and even then if you find one prepare for it to be slow, delayed and of a very poor quality (I missed the 1st half of the Munster semi because of that).

In the end just save yourself the hassle and spend the money. It'll cost you a tenner to stream the game legally on the Setanta international website, or do what I did and get an Irish VPN, which will last you a month so you get access to the entire RTE player for 30 days with it. The quality is excellent as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

Anyone recommend a good VPN to use - I've tried Overplay but found the speed to be pretty poor. Tried to watch the KK Cork match online and it was very stop start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

You're in Boston ya?

Will it not be shown in most of the Irish bars? (assuming you're 21 of course...)

Another option would be to watch it at a GAA club in Boston, I was in Chicago a few years back and there was always lots of families watching the games at the clubhouse.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I'm fairly sure you can stream them on the RTE website, watched the Kerry-Antrim game live there last year and the quality was reasonable enough. If not just go to an Irish pub

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

THFC wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure you can stream them on the RTE website, watched the Kerry-Antrim game live there last year and the quality was reasonable enough. If not just go to an Irish pub

It's geo-blocked outside Ireland.

You may find a stream here tomorrow but it's fairly hit and miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

JimOshea wrote: »
    Not lookin' to be payin' for this haha

Because your free options are so reliable and plentiful you had to ask us all for advice? An Irish VPN is the way to go if you want to watch it in the comfort of your own home and there are no reliable ways around that besides stumping up a few bucks for it. Deal with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

By far the best thing to do if you are in Boston is to go to any of the Irish bars, who will be all showing it. The Banshee on Dorchester Ave would be a good shout, Canton if you are outside Boston and fancy watching a few local games while your out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

D_Red_Army wrote: »
    You're in Boston ya?

Will it not be shown in most of the Irish bars? (assuming you're 21 of course...)

Another option would be to watch it at a GAA club in Boston, I was in Chicago a few years back and there was always lots of families watching the games at the clubhouse.....

None of the clubs in Boston have their own clubhouses unfortunately. They have their local bars who sponser them which basically become the clubhouses!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Babyheart

You can listen to it (not so much fun) on the GAA media player www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/aif_radio.html

I watched it free last year from a facebook link, am trying to get one for this year. Worked fine, was a bit laggy in spots but nothing too bad. Will keep you posted if I get anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Babyheart

Here is the site I watched it on last year. www.firstrow.net

Fingers crossed it'll work again this year - can't afford to pay for it as just spent all my money on textbooks & tuition for nursing school! :eek:

Advertisement