Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amy Huberman. Finding Joy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The first episode had all of the problems of the previous series

No development, it’s got an idea it has a script but no one re-read and you need this changed, and don’t bother with this. Because this the show flips from one place to another for no reason.

The cast aren’t terrible but they aren’t working with very much.

If there were other Irish Drama being produce it would relatively go under the radar, but as this is one of 2 only from RTÉ it gets hyped up.

In term of cost, I imagine the cameo from Neil Morrissey was costly, not only his fee but also the flight and hotel and ultimately unnecessary.

The new tarot card reading flat mate was added to give it an English dimension, part of RTÉ said policy on co-productions, one character must be English!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I concur, her talent lies in dispensing coffee and biscuits in the RTÉ canteen. That, and being married to BOD magically opens doors.

Are you saying if I was married to GBOD doors would open for me too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I concur, her talent lies in dispensing coffee and biscuits in the RTÉ canteen. That, and being married to BOD magically opens doors.

Threesome predated BOD afaik, and it wasn't an RTE production. I thoroughly enjoyed it and she struck a good line in making a potentially very unlikable character - drugged out orgies, abortion jokes, consistently terrible person - quite charming.

Threesome had some fairly edgy comedy at times, the tone was somewhere between Spaced and Catastrophe, so I was always a little baffled at where she went from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The only good show she ever did was ‘On home ground’ I think it was called. About the gaa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

watched this with a very open mind. a few laughs. huberman not funnt at all imo. co star with the baby at the end was great. fairly basic tbh but i suppose they need content. i cant imagine its very expensive to make. neil morrisey for ten seconds just bizarre.

The only good show she ever did was ‘On home ground’ I think it was called. About the gaa.

God! And that was panned but fortunately she made her was to The Clinic.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

Thank you for reminding me of Ireland's greatest beauty. A wonderfully talented actress too.

Dominique McElligot AKA Cora Collins from On Home Ground

https://m.imdb.com/name/nm1069800/mediaviewer/rm2886576896

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Cali_girl wrote: »
    I haven't seen any of this one so not fair to comment, but what does really really really annoy me is that I know so many HUGELY talented actors/writers/comics who are truly deserving and have such different, new, interesting, refreshing, funny voices and views. And I would really rather my licence fee support them.

Nothing on Amy, 'cos she's just doing her thing.

But the lack of support and development of new and emerging talent (both old and young) is unforgivable.

Yeah that is the annoying thing about RTE, every program they serve up that is a load of dross also represents the tons of good actors and writers who cannot get work in Ireland and have to head to London. As said up the thread RTE commissioning is based on patronage not talent.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

While the show is far from perfect if you look at Irish comedienne Aisling Bea's Netflix show "This way Up" (That she also wrote and produced like Huberman) and you'd be horrifed that finding Joy somehow gets made let alone finds a second season.

Even the show which I didn't really like with Katherine Ryan was considerably better. I have nothing against Amy Huberman by any means and by all accounts what little I have seen of her in interviewws etc. (And i watched with the wife and ending quite enjoying striking out) she seems perfectly lovely but she's stealing a living carrying a comedy show IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66,820 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It's basically Amy making a series of faces. Nice money if you can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Without looking, i can guess Her.ie/Goss/Indo and the like, gave it "glowing" reviews and compared it to greats like Seinfeld/Fraiser/Blackadder etc and the "journalists" eventually found 3 positive tweets about it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    Thank you for reminding me of Ireland's greatest beauty. A wonderfully talented actress too.

Dominique McElligot AKA Cora Collins from On Home Ground

https://m.imdb.com/name/nm1069800/mediaviewer/rm2886576896

Plus her fantastic roles in House of Cards and Astronauts Wives Club.

Such an underrated and underexposed actress that picks some fantastic roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Plus her fantastic roles in House of Cards and Astronauts Wives Club.

Such an underrated and underexposed actress that picks some fantastic roles.

Speaking of underexposed I watched I'm thinking of ending things last week and had no idea jessie Buckley was Irish very talented actress and singer. I never understand how the likes of Paul Mescal Saorsie Ronan get all the attention and are such "Irish" media darlings yet others go under the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Speaking of underexposed I watched I'm thinking of ending things last week and had no idea jessie Buckley was Irish very talented actress and singer. I never understand how the likes of Paul Mescal Saorsie Ronan get all the attention and are such "Irish" media darlings yet others go under the radar.

Check out her film Beast it’s pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

I really wanted to like this i like Amy and her Instagram is hilarious.

This is pure cringe, worst being the back to school part.
    Didn't even finish the 1st episode and have taken it off the series link.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Samsgirl wrote: »
    I really wanted to like this i like Amy and her Instagram is hilarious.

This is pure cringe, worst being the back to school part.
    Didn't even finish the 1st episode and have taken it off the series link.

Can I ask I hear this all the time she is hilarious and gas and her Instagram is great what does she actually do on Instagram?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

bigpink wrote: »
    Can I ask I hear this all the time she is hilarious and gas and her Instagram is great what does she actually do on Instagram?

Her posts can be quite funny. Her observational humour is quirky. Thats just my opinion. Others may differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Be right back

Jessie Buckley is brilliant in Chernobyl and War and peace as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Samsgirl wrote: »
    Her posts can be quite funny. Her observational humour is quirky. Thats just my opinion. Others may differ.

Any links to funny stuff?Is it a different style to finding joy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭TheDavester

bigpink wrote: »
    Any links to funny stuff?Is it a different style to finding joy

she appeals to those who live their lives on instagram/pintrest, those who follow the lifes of these influencers and their silly manufactured drama/pay attention to me posts and just repeats silly irish mom type tweets - she's a glorified influencer and has a relentless pr team to push on to the poor irish public and someone in RTE just loves her .

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-reviews/finding-joy-review-what-possessed-rte-to-make-more-of-amy-hubermans-lame-self-indulgent-tv-drivel-39617601.html

Surprisingly the indo went in hard on her despite the same rag putting out a daily pointless story about her

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

I think a significant audience will tune in to see how bad it actually is.

she appeals to those who live their lives on instagram/pintrest, those who follow the lifes of these influencers and their silly manufactured drama/pay attention to me posts and just repeats silly irish mom type tweets - she's a glorified influencer and has a relentless pr team to push on to the poor irish public and someone in RTE just loves her .

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-reviews/finding-joy-review-what-possessed-rte-to-make-more-of-amy-hubermans-lame-self-indulgent-tv-drivel-39617601.html

Surprisingly the indo went in hard on her despite the same rag putting out a daily pointless story about her

I have no problem with Amy Huberman being liked.

We are going to see alot more of this type of thing and the South Westerlies over the coming years. Screen Ireland are aiming purely at foreign markets and they will have the bulk of money for TV Drama from now on. These are simple TV troupes that will either be produced by Hallmark or ZDF to sell around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

That article in the Indo is by their TV critic Pat Stacey and Im not surprised that he slated Finding Joy as Stacey is about the only honest journalist when it comes to all things RTE. He also wrote a stinging article slating Striking Out as well. Meanwhile over on the Fashion & Celebrity desk in the Indo they'll still continue on blowing smoke up Hubermans hole.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Women who make a living out of being attractive and sexy should not be bothering to complicate things.

Attractive women are never funny, it goes against the grain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Attractive women are never funny, it goes against the grain.

Are you extremely single or married to a hilarious ugly woman..... ?

I know plenty of attractive funny women.

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Are you extremely single or married to a hilarious ugly woman..... ?

I know plenty of attractive funny women.

Don't get me wrong, of course there are a few out there. ( attractive women who can tell the odd joke )

But in general attractive women rarely have to play the humour card. It is a fact.

Do you reckon the all time leading Irish try scorer is attracted to her cutting idiosyncratic wit?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭fran38

Can someone cut and paste the article please. It's behind a paywall and i don't want to subscribe to the Indo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, of course there are a few out there. ( attractive women who can tell the odd joke )

But in general attractive women rarely have to play the humour card. It is a fact.

Do you reckon the all time leading Irish try scorer is attracted to her cutting idiosyncratic wit?

Do you ever engage with attractive women? Doesn't read like it. Or possibly their humour is beyond you.

Do I wonder why a man is attracted to his wife? Not really, no.

• Advertisement

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Do you ever engage with attractive women? Doesn't read like it. Or possibly their humour is beyond you.

Do I wonder why a man is attracted to his wife? Not really, no.

You sound gorgeous to be honest.

Your lack of a sense of humour is a big giveaway.

Advertisement