Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC 229 Nurmagomedov vs McGregor - Sat Oct 6th **Warning in first post!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Yeah, many said that after he tapped out to Diaz..... a rematch was all he was interested in.

You think his mindset will be different after this loss? Not a chance.

I think it will . Totally different scenarios.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    Yeah, many said that after he tapped out to Diaz..... a rematch was all he was interested in.

Roadmap for Conor:

Trilogy fight with Nate.

If he wins that, rematch with Khabib.

Unlikely event he wins that, fight for 170lb belt.

And Dana will give it to him because he puts arses in seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

He dominated Diaz then gassed and lost . A rematch made sense and was easily a winnable fight if he improved his cardio

He was destroyed here

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭EoineyM

This defeat was different though I think. Complete domination really. He also knew he had made mistakes in weight cut etc in the run up to the first diaz fight so there was obvious improvements to be made. Not sure what he could do differently to get Khabib off him - not sure if he will be interested in trying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

jon1981 wrote: »
    All started with khabib putting the crowd at risk. The rest happened as a reaction to that. Mcgregor stayed in the octogan. The trouble was brought to him

Mcgregor trird getting out though snd punched on of khabibs lads. He was to bollixed to climb over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Conors ego/pride probably wouldnt allow him to finish on loss...but then there's all that money to enjoy...and a whiskey business to run...

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    I think it will . Totally different scenarios.

You're right about the different scenarios.

After the Nate loss he could use the late change opponant excuse and was able to lie to himself and his fanbase about Nate being some monster who was 30lbs heavier and 9 feet tall and all the rest.

Tonight he has a full healthy camp and got mauled.

He'll still think he can win the rematch though, his belief in himself would be unshakable. Like when Till lost to Woodley, I really think he believed what he was saying when he said "I know he's not a better fighter than me".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

McGregor by Sub
    I think even Nate would rather the Khabib rematch happened first as if it does it means the trilogy fight would be a title fight (assuming McGregor won of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Nurmagomedov by Sub

He had some joy against Diaz in the first fight and won the first round before he gassed. Obvious errors from McGregor loading up on his shots and fixable things.

He had no joy against Khabib, he was mauled on the ground and didn't get anything going standing up. If McGregor has any sense he'll stear clear of a rematch. He's a level below Khabib IMO, he'll struggle to make his takedown defence any better than it was tonight, he'll never compete on the ground and really a big shot standing is his only chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Bit of class from Conor not pressing charges. The game is the game. Obviously Khabib and the lads should have more control but after all the **** talking, disrespect and all the lapping up from the media after all the horrid **** Conor has done and said, someone eventually was going to snap. Conor gets away with everything he has done and said simply because he is such a draw and he is such an easy pull for views on websites. When there's money and traffic behind a guy he becomes nearly immune to every bad thing he does.

I don't think anyone deserves to just be jumped like that, especially after a sanctioned fight but between the bus, invading the ring as well all the terrible stuff he's said that's played down as "banter" by idiot fanboys and the media this was eventually going to happen and you can't be saying poor Conor.

Likely Khabib is stripped of his belt and his purse and retires as a **** you to the UFC. Conor faces Tony and all is happy in Dana's fairytale land again.

Khabib is a different breed in every sense, be beat the **** out of Conor, and I don't think Conor from two years ago could have done much more than tonight. Khabib is a freak.

• Advertisement

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    I think even Nate would rather the Khabib rematch happened first as if it does it means the trilogy fight would be a title fight (assuming McGregor won of course).

Nate will want to get in before the star wains any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Alot of people blind to the fact that this was very different to fight with Diaz. Mcgregor was never on top here, he was pure and simple schooled tactically both on the ground and the standup.

I don't mean that in a derogatory way towards McGregor, just how i saw it, it was one sided. Unlike vs Diaz.

As i said, there would be no proper 12 if mcgregor had met Khabib earlier in his career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Conors ego/pride probably wouldnt allow him to finish on loss...but then there's all that money to enjoy...and a whiskey business to run...

Whiskey and Coke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

It’s over. He’s done. He’s now a weakling in the eyes of many. He won’t fight again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Bit of class from Conor not pressing charges. The game is the game. Obviously Khabib and the lads should have more control but after all the **** talking, disrespect and all the lapping up from the media after all the horrid **** Conor has done and said, someone eventually was going to snap. Conor gets away with everything he has done and said simply because he is such a draw and he is such an easy pull for views on websites. When there's money and traffic behind a guy he becomes nearly immune to every bad thing he does.

I don't think anyone deserves to just be jumped like that, especially after a sanctioned fight but between the bus, invading the ring as well all the terrible stuff he's said that's played down as "banter" by idiot fanboys and the media this was eventually going to happen and you can't be saying poor Conor.

Likely Khabib is stripped of his belt and his purse and retires as a **** you to the UFC. Conor faces Tony and all is happy in Dana's fairytale land again.

Khabib is a different breed in every sense, be beat the **** out of Conor, and I don't think Conor from two years ago could have done much more than tonight. Khabib is a freak.

Class for not pressing charges???!!

He threw the first punch? !!

Mcgregor is anything but classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Just watched the PPV, not live. What time, Irish time, did McGregor's fight start? Had a disagreement about when it would start earlier in the week with someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,262 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

It’s over. He’s done. He’s now a weakling in the eyes of many. He won’t fight again

Money talks. Of course he will.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    Just watched the PPV, not live. What time, Irish time, did McGregor's fight start? Had a disagreement about when it would start earlier in the week with someone.

About 5:30/5:45

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

5.40 ish

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Surely if Mc Gregor won the title any rematch wouldn’t happen til he’d been stripped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Rezident

Just read that they have witheld Khabib's cheque. He was supposedly going to retire after his big McGregor payday but if they withold his cheque, he can't retire. Might have to give Tony a shot! Maybe Tony can take Khabib, if anyone can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

McGregor by Sub
    Class for not pressing charges???!!

He threw the first punch? !!

Mcgregor is anything but classy.

Lie. He did not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

A weakling? Behave.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

McGregor by Sub
    RoryMac wrote: »
    He had no joy against Khabib, he was mauled on the ground and didn't get anything going standing up.

That's just not true, he won a round and there moments in that round where it looked as if one or two more strikes from McGregor might be enough but Khabib done enough.

McGregor was fighting in a way he doesn't normally also, so close that he was hitting him with knees. Between rounds JK was trying to get him back to his usual style of fighting, drawing opponents out, frustrating them, but for whatever reason he ignored these instructions and walked Khabib down, playing in his hands.

If Khabib is such a different league, then why didn't he maul him in the first? He wasn't let is the answer as McGregor worked hard to make sure that he couldn't land anything significant.

In the Diaz fight McGregor turned wrestler out of desperation as he had nothing left in the tank. Not so in this fight at all. His tank was just fine against a fighter who is renowned for that aspect of his game (on his feet at least, diffeent story on the ground of course, there Khabib could go ten round I expect)

There was no mauling here though. He just got out bjj'd. Few adjustments and a win would not out of the question, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Nurmagomedov by Decision

Conor deserved it, though still stupid from Khabib.

I expected some retaliation from Khabib team, not in the way it unfolded though.

Conor is messing with dangerous people here. You cannot mock their family, call them terrorists etc. If last night's post match slaps are the height of the retaliation Conor will be a lucky man.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Lads, I'm not condoning anything that happened after the fight.

However, what the f*ck was Dillon Danis doing and why is he getting a free pass?

Someone posted about 30 pages back that when the fight is over, then it's all over, but they used it as a stick to beat Khabib. Danis stands up, starts shouting abuse and then approaches the cage after the fight.

If he's humble and stays seated there's a chance this doesn't happen. Absolutely disgraceful scenes from everyone involved on both teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

McGregor by Sub
    That's not what happened. Khabib was already fighting outside the cage by then

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    That's just not true, he won a round and there moments in that round where it looked as if one or two more strikes from McGregor might be enough but Khabib done enough.

Would you stop. He won a round where he did nothing. Whoop, Sal D'Amato gave him a round on the score cards. He got mauled. He even got dropped on his arse during a stand up exchange, the area where he was apparently untouchable.

McGregor had no choice how this fight went, Khabib imposed his will and broke him. It's as simple as that.

Your inability to engage with reality knows no bounds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

McGregor by Sub
    There was no mauling here.

He was absolutely mauled.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement