Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

X96 Mini Analogic S905W 2GB/16GB, €22.95

• 27-10-2017 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭

Expired

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

Is it supplied with regular remote or airmouse type?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Pulled the trigger, as the X96 pro plus I got after a different bargain alert doesn't look like it's going to make it to the man cave after the rest of the family having a play!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Invincible

mikeysmith wrote: »
    Is it supplied with regular remote or airmouse type?

Regular afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭LariToper

Thanks OP, payday impulse buy done. I don't even have internet at home for it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭ando

can this play youtube, netflix ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Don't forget cashback, topcashback.co.uk offers cashback from GB

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Slightly cheaper on Tomtop @ €22.67 using code REYESDELCHOLLO24.
    https://www.tomtop.com/p-v3264eu-16g.html

It is cheaper again if you sign up as a new customer and do the following.

Here's a way to get 340 points (discount $ 3.4) :
    1. Setup up a new TomTop account,
    2. Sign up for the newsletter,
    3. Activate the account by confirming the mail sent to your mailbox,
    4. Go to your profile on TomTop and upload an avatar and give your other details to complete your profile
    After confirming everything in the tab with points it should look like this:
    L8ROjcP.jpg

Additional 200 points (540 in total or $ 5.4 discount) extra 200 points take 24hours:
    1. Go to your profile on TomTop,
    2. Set the date of birth according to the rule of day, month + 1 day (if today is 28.07.2017, set it to 29.07 and any year)
    3. Wait 24 hours and 200 points will be added to your account to celebrate.
    In the panel, the extra points will look like this:
    hbHVAHy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭dodzy

ando wrote: »
    Of course :)

proper link, none of that 'M' sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Only just set up the H96 Pro, which is 3gb/32gb. How will this compare performance wise, for non game playing? Tempted to go again on the tomtop offer!

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Only just set up the H96 Pro, which is 3gb/32gb. How will this compare performance wise, for non game playing? Tempted to go again on the tomtop offer!
    If build quality is sound, the specs are more than capable of taking care of the 'other non-gaming stuff' with ease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭bladespin

Opinions guys, worth upgrading to this from firestick with Kodi and Mobdro, would there be much difference/improvement?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Mike1961

seems to be a problem with registering on the GearBest site (for me anyhow)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭jeffk

Thanks OP

Ordered one and sure worse case will just be used as media player for stuff off USB pen drives

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

jeffk wrote: »
    Thanks OP

Ordered one and sure worse case will just be used as media player for stuff off USB pen drives
    My set up is I Down load movies onto wd mycloud device that is connected to router by Ethernet cable and to a network switch at the back of Tele in main TV room.
    Can this OP be used in another room that has not gotten easily run ethernet cable or can it be used for a wi-fi connection to a wd mycloud storage device or can you stream media directly on this through ethernet cable to internet?
    Sorry for the thick questions as don't fully understand how it works?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Getting code expired?

gomamochi1 wrote: »
    My set up is I Down load movies onto wd mycloud device that is connected to router by Ethernet cable and to a network switch at the back of Tele in main TV room.
    Can this OP be used in another room that has not gotten easily run ethernet cable or can it be used for a wi-fi connection to a wd mycloud storage device or can you stream media directly on this through ethernet cable to internet?
    Sorry for the thick questions as don't fully understand how it works?

Personally speaking I connect removable drive and use goodsync to check against a folder with videos in it. Then connect to the box.

Or for the mother I move a film etc onto a small pen drive a connect that.

I find the less complicated the setup, the less can go wrong

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

ando wrote: »

Netflix will most likely not play in HD. YouTube will not play in 4k.

doylefe wrote: »
    Netflix will most likely not play in HD. YouTube will not play in 4k.
    they definitely will not, but work fine nonetheless. I’d imagine 4K would not be a dealbreaker for most.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

dodzy wrote: »
    they definitely will not, but work fine nonetheless. I’d imagine 4K would not be a dealbreaker for most.

Netflix playing in SD only definitely could be a surprise to a lot of people. Also requiring an air mouse to use certain apps is another caveat.

If a person asks will Netflix work on these types of boxes I think it's better to provide a fully accurate answer rather than "yes of course it will work"

doylefe wrote: »
    Netflix playing in SD only definitely could be a surprise to a lot of people. Also requiring an air mouse to use certain apps is another caveat.

If a person asks will Netflix work on these types of boxes I think it's better to provide a fully accurate answer rather than "yes of course it will work"

Question asked was "can this play netflix,youtube?" . The answer is yes, it can. I'm fairly sure that digital SD is still more than acceptable for the vast majority when you are talking about netflix or the tube. The included RC, as is the case with all of these bargain boxes, is crap and alternatives are out there in abundance for very small money. Mini USB wireless keyboard as a minimum.

• Advertisement

PLUS

If you want 4K or proper HD etc youll have to run a cable etc, or in my experience be left with buffering etc

Most people dont want to do this or know how, they want a box, connect it up and use it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Mine arrived today, looks solid enough, will hook it up later.
    Has IR TV style remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Have received as well, but Ive a issue with resolution.

Uninstall a preinstalled app called kd player and installed kodi fresh from playstore.

Issue in kodi that I cant change the resolution like i can with eg kodi via computer. Its greyed out on 1280x720

Android box android app says its outputting hd and ive tried same hdmi cable as via computer but no difference.

Has everyone the same issue, + anyone a idea how to resolve?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭red bellied

This box will handle Libreelec and will then play you tube in hd. Have a look on Libreelec forum, it uses the same dtb.img as an s905x box.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Cudders

This box will handle Libreelec and will then play you tube in hd. Have a look on Libreelec forum, it uses the same dtb.img as an s905x box.

Have 2 of these on the way what would be the benefits of using Libreelec? Plan on using it for mobdro, terrarium etc and downloading the odd torrent

Cudders wrote: »
    Have 2 of these on the way what would be the benefits of using Libreelec? Plan on using it for mobdro, terrarium etc and downloading the odd torrent

Libreelec will run a Linux version of kodi from your SD card, you get to keep android on your internal memory. Its fairly nifty and less bugs than android kodi. Its smoother for video as well as it can auto adjust the frame rate unlike android. There are third party addons for streaming through kodi, google will help you here.

You can eventually install it to internal memory if you prefer it over Android but test it on SD card first.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Cudders

Libreelec will run a Linux version of kodi from your SD card, you get to keep android on your internal memory. Its fairly nifty and less bugs than android kodi. Its smoother for video as well as it can auto adjust the frame rate unlike android. There are third party addons for streaming through kodi, google will help you here.

You can eventually install it to internal memory if you prefer it over Android but test it on SD card first.

Sounds interesting will definitely give it a try thanks for the info. It's more so movies/tv shows I'd use it for as I've got a mag box already.

Can these boxes just be flashed with any Amlogic S905W Rom or do they have to be specific to the x96 mini?

There is a guy on xda that's created an unbloated android image for the box that I might try too.

Cudders wrote: »
    Sounds interesting will definitely give it a try thanks for the info. It's more so movies/tv shows I'd use it for as I've got a mag box already.

Can these boxes just be flashed with any Amlogic S905W Rom or do they have to be specific to the x96 mini?

There is a guy on xda that's created an unbloated android image for the box that I might try too.

https://sx05.eu/s905/8.2/8.2.0.1/LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.2-8.2.0.1.img.gz

https://sx05.eu/s905/8.2/device_trees/S905X/gxl_p212_2g.dtb

Unzip the image file then use win32 to write it to SD card. Rename the device tree to dtb.img after you download. Copy your new dtb.img to the SD box to overwrite the existing one. Power off box, then look for reset button on box, place needle or phone ejector pin is handy on reset button and power up at same time. Keep it held until you see libreelec screen, it should appear after about 20 seconds.

Did anyone else get this from tomtop and have it now?

Thought would've been here by now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

jeffk wrote: »
    Did anyone else get this from tomtop and have it now?

Thought would've been here by now

I have one on the way via Netherlands post.
    Current tracking shows it as with customs so i'm expecting a letter for charges.

Advertisement