Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bus Eireann Middle Doors or lack of them

• 30-08-2017 1:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭

Why when the NTA is buying city buses for DB do they buy them with middle doors but not when buying city buses for Cork, Limerick, Galway, Waterford, the town services or the Wrigthbus DDs they bought for use for use on the Dublin commuter routes such as the 103.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sigh, yes it is pretty silly, just repeating the mistakes made with DB in he past.

But what is even worse IMO is the lack of a right hand side leap card validator and the need to interact with the driver, despite Cork being fundamentally flat fare! * Makes no sense at all.

* Yes I know that strictly speaking there are two zones. But many routes only operate in the inner zone and even on the longer routes, the majority of people are probably inner zone users.

The solution is simple. Install a right hand validator, set it to the inner zone fare, people looking for outer zone fare continue to interact with the driver.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I'm not aware of passenger numbers in Cork the last year or two, but really is there a lot of people getting off many stops like in Dublin outside the terminus of many routes?

When I was there last it always struck me that the volume of passengers getting on and off a bus outside terminus stations was not really enough to justify middle doors.

What I will agree with though is having a flat fare and no right hand side validator is silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

bk wrote: »
    Sigh, yes it is pretty silly, just repeating the mistakes made with DB in he past.

But what is even worse IMO is the lack of a right hand side leap card validator and the need to interact with the driver, despite Cork being fundamentally flat fare! * Makes no sense at all.

* Yes I know that strictly speaking there are two zones. But many routes only operate in the inner zone and even on the longer routes, the majority of people are probably inner zone users.

The solution is simple. Install a right hand validator, set it to the inner zone fare, people looking for outer zone fare continue to interact with the driver.

Or just remive outer zone fare altogether and have a flat fare no matter where you going on the the Cork city bus network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

The last buses to be in service in Cork with centre doors were the 1999 VWL's.

The centre doors were rarely used and were ceasing up.

They'd be very handy now though.

People going in the 'back doors' was another problem though thus fare avoidance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

devnull wrote: »
    I'm not aware of passenger numbers in Cork the last year or two, but really is there a lot of people getting off many stops like in Dublin outside the terminus of many routes?

When I was there last it always struck me that the volume of passengers getting on and off a bus outside terminus stations was not really enough to justify middle doors.

What I will agree with though is having a flat fare and no right hand side validator is silly.

Maybe not on sds but on dds definitely I don't why the vwds dont have them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Strangely enough, I'd have thought the 205 and 208 for example would be ideal candidates for middle doors with lots of people getting off at the colleges.

Certainly more than the need on DB where they're not needed for the vast majority of the time (anytime outside the morning peak really) at the vast majority of the stops on the vast majority of the routes but are a shiny 'added extra' for government policy...

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

bk wrote: »

Absolutely agree with that. The driver's job should be to just drive the bus and not have to worry about having to handle cash fares, Leap Cards, FTPs, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Evil-1

There was an interview with the NTA about two years ago where they mentioned dual door buses in regional cities, they felt there is no need for them at this time but did not rule out using them in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭brighterdays

The 304 in Limerick desperately needs these buses. It boggles my mind how it's not already there. You have to wait for every tom, dick and harry to get off before getting on which is lovely in the lashing rain when it's around 0 degrees!

And yes to the validator too. Having to let the driver physically enter your fare goes against the point of using a card in the first place... Honestly. The place is run by morons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MGWR

The last buses to be in service in Cork with centre doors were the 1999 VWL's.

The centre doors were rarely used and were ceasing up.

They'd be very handy now though.

People going in the 'back doors' was another problem though thus fare avoidance.
    That would be fare evasion. Fare "avoidance" means legally avoiding having to pay the fare.

The centre doors on the vast majority of US city buses (at least since the advent of the "new look" bus in 1959) have for decades been passenger-operated, where the grab bars on the door open the doors when an exiting passenger pushes on them; once the passenger lets go, the doors close automatically, preventing fare evaders from sneaking on. And it's not like anyone at DB or BE (or even CIE) would be unaware of this kind of operation, even after all these decades.

• Advertisement
Advertisement