Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scientology Centre headed for old Victory Centre in Firhouse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭Tow

Must have been a lot of cheques in the post...

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

recedite wrote: »
    Brilliant photos.
    Not quite sure what is happening there, but it looks like a Klingon spaceship has been captured by the IRA.

:D You win the Internet !!

I totally oppose this cult and am not happy about this hub.

But honestly, long term, I'd be more worried about the plans for the new Islamic center (including a school - tho this might be cutback) in Dublin 15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

....... wrote: »

Did the lovely polite Sea Org people offer you a personality test by any chance!? :pac:

All kinds of aggressive, violent behaviour go on in that cult - much worse than anything any of the protesters said or did I'm sure. Out of curiosity, what exactly did the protesters say or do to the cult clergy members?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

:D You win the Internet !!

I totally oppose this cult and am not happy about this hub.

But honestly, long term, I'd be more worried about the plans for the new Islamic center (including a school - tho this might be cutback) in Dublin 15.

No much time for Islam either, but I'd be more concerned about the Scientology brigade. Everything I've seen and read about them is pretty damning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Dang, they pulled out all the stops for that launch. David Mucksavage and all.

I hope nobody loses too much money or family members by taking part.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

smacl wrote: »
    No much time for Islam either, but I'd be more concerned about the Scientology brigade. Everything I've seen and read about them is pretty damning.

I agree, but look at the numbers, how many members does Scientology have WORLDWIDE ? I think its ~50k ....

But yeah, I remember one year they accosted me in town when I was a timid 18 year old kid and they wanted me to do some test - they eventually got me to do it , and it went on and on and on - so eventually I said look I need to leave to catch the bus etc ... they said We'll call the busdriver ... have him wait for you - WTF !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Zerbini Blewitt

Strange to see McSavage (surely one of the shadiest of lunatics on the fringe of the American landscape) in Baile Ath Cliath :eek:

Some threat must be on the horizon from the US authorities to cause all this investment??

I was looking at that site on google satellite. There’s a foot-bridge over the Dodder and it’s very public & open at the back. I wonder will they try to intimidate locals from using that footpath over time or put up hoardings or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I wonder will they try to intimidate locals from using that footpath...?
    The very best of luck to them! That'd be a sight to see. Some of the lads you'd meet around the north side of the Dodder there wouldn't be overly receptive to intimidation.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

endacl wrote: »
    The very best of luck to them! That'd be a sight to see. Some of the lads you'd meet around the north side of the Dodder there wouldn't be overly receptive to intimidation.

:D

They'll set their alien overlord on them, that will learn them.......

RustyNut wrote: »
    They'll set their alien overlord on them, that will learn them.......
    There'd be bits of overlord all over the gaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

endacl wrote: »
    There'd be bits of overlord all over the gaff.
    I heard he can turn their buckfast into water. That will get them running.

RustyNut wrote: »
    I heard he can turn their buckfast into water. That will get them running.

They're perfectly capable of turning buckfast into water by themselves

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

From the IT website
    A HSE drugs counsellor and a government funded anti-racism charity praised the work of the Church of Scientology during the opening of the controversial organisation’s new Dublin facility.

A representative of the charity, Sports against Racism Ireland (Sari), outlined at the event how it distributes Scientology-produced literature to those taking part in its programmes around the country.

The event was also addressed by a HSE drugs worker who praised Scientology-supported anti-drugs programmes.

On October 14th last, the Church of Scientology opened the “Ideal Org” centre in Firhouse, Tallaght, which includes a 1,050-seat auditorium.

Scientology has been criticised elsewhere for using seemingly innocuous front groups, such as drugs and human rights organisations, to establish itself in a country and to recruit members from vulnerable communities.

A spokeswoman defended its programmes yesterday and described critics of its drugs programme as “religious bigots” who “complain about anything, even saving the life of a mother’s child”.
    Merrion Square

In recent years it has stepped up its anti-drugs and anti-psychiatry campaigns in Ireland. This has coincided with the opening of a “national affairs office” on Merrion Square in 2016, the first such office to open outside the US.

Both the HSE and Sari distanced themselves from Scientology when contacted by The Irish Times and said they do not endorse Scientology programmes, with one Sari official saying it was “duped” into taking part in the event.

The event included a speech by church leader David Miscavige and an address by Amina Moustafa Keogh, described as a “programme director” with Sari.

Sari chairman Perry Ogdan said he believes the church misrepresented his organisation as supporting Scientology and he was “still trying to get to the bottom of what happened”.

He said Ms Keogh went with the understanding that she would be speaking at a separate event and not at the opening ceremony.

Another Sari official, who asked not to be identified, said Ms Keogh had been “duped” into appearing at the event and he had threatened legal action against Scientology if it did not remove a report from the web mentioning her appearance.

“The plan was we would go out and talk about human rights and nothing else. Then to our surprise and shock her photograph appeared with a quotation on their website. It’s crazy.
    ‘Duped’

“We were basically duped into attending. Amina was duped into making a short speech.”

He said Sari has distributed Scientology affiliated human rights material to children in the past but not recently. The materials, which have been seen by The Irish Times, are funded and printed by Scientology but do not mention the organisation.

Sari promotes sport as a means of combating racism and other forms of discrimination. In 2015, some 40 per cent (€31,500) of its funding came from government sources.

HSE drug outreach worker Nicola Keating also made a speech endorsing Scientology’s “Drug Free World” programme which she said was “straight-talking and speaks to everyone”, the Scientology website stated.

A HSE spokeswoman told The Irish Times: “Ms Keating was not attending the event in her capacity as a HSE outreach worker, she was attending as a member of the community in her personal capacity.

“The HSE does not endorse the Scientology ‘Drug Free World’ programme,” she added.

Asked about the nature of both women’s appearance at the event, a Scientology spokeswoman said: “Both Ms Keating and Ms Keogh were invited to speak, which they were happy to do.”
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/anti-racism-charity-duped-into-speaking-at-scientology-event-1.3266268

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Yes indeedy, there are some minority cults that one should be seen to support, and some that one should not be seen to support :pac:
    Its a minefield out there for a young, but ambitious, public speaker.

recedite wrote: »
    Yes indeedy, there are some minority cults that one should be seen to support, and some that one should not be seen to support :pac:
    Its a minefield out there for a young, but ambitious, public speaker.

By 'duped' I wonder does that mean they'll have to return the brown paper envelopes :pac:

smacl wrote: »
    By 'duped' I wonder does that mean they'll have to return the brown paper envelopes :pac:

I don't see how anyone could have been 'duped'. Despite it looking like an American St Particks Day festival complete with Irish Dancers. They make no secret of who they are and there is no shortage of signage and symbols.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement

I think the insinuation is that they thought they were speaking at an anti drugs event and not at the opening of the Church of Scientology latest Ideal Org in Dublin.

Two cheeks of the same arse. How they could have been so stupid as not to realise that is beyond me...

What I can't understand is why Dialogue Ireland has no coverage of the opening? They (he) were quick enough investigate who the new owners where a month or two ago.

What they really need to do is open a Scientology ethos school in the local neighbourhood and see if they can get state funding for it. Could make for some interesting debate on the patronage system :pac:

Feck it. Maybe we should all go for a visit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/scientologists-in-dublin-peddle-autism-cure-0z5vc6d2m
    A woman who says that the Church of Scientology in Dublin offered her a €1,600 detoxification programme that would cure her autistic son has complained to gardaí.

The church, which recently opened a centre in Firhouse, is likely to face questions about its alleged promotion of the controversial treatment. It follows claims by Fiona O’Leary, an autism rights campaigner, that a Scientology member based in the centre offered to sell her a “purification rundown” programme to treat her son.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

She's complaining to the Guards because she claims they are trying to sell a autism "cure".
    She went and did a personality test and became involved with them willingly. And now she's upset over them offering one of their known quackery cures? The simple answer here is don't get involved with them in the first place!

Perhaps an autism activist she only did a test with them ... to draw them out and get them to attempt to sell her a cure?

P.

Advertisement