Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General State of Taxi Industry (Taxi Driver’s Help Wanted)

Options
  • 02-08-2011 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

Hi All,

I’m doing a bit of research and I am interested in learning about the general state of the Taxi Industry in Ireland.

I am interested in asking presently operating taxi drivers the following:

Are taxi drivers constantly active or are there long spells of waiting around? Also, is the taxi industry presently over supplied? (too few passengers for too many taxi drivers)

How much do licence plates generally cost? How long does a license plate typically take to pay for itself?

Are most taxi drivers content with their job or do most presently wish they were doing something else?

Are there any other considerations relevant to health of the taxi industry that I haven’t thought of?

Any contributions to the above will be greatly appreciated, no matter how small. (Feel free to PM if necessary)

Thanks In Advance for All Reponses

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Hi JohnnyBananas,

Before anyone else replies, can you let me know what exactly you are conducting this research for, and what you plan to do with the results?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭JohnnyBananas

-Chris- wrote: »
    Hi JohnnyBananas,

Before anyone else replies, can you let me know what exactly you are conducting this research for, and what you plan to do with the results?

Hi Chris,

Just private research. I am considering buying a taxi plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Hi Chris,

Consider something else, seriously. Don't get into it. You have I'm sure heard all the negative things about the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Just head out to dame street/georges st on a sat night and stand there for 30 mins and just watch what's around and all will b answered

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

blahblah06 wrote: »
    Just head out to dame street/georges st on a sat night and stand there for 30 mins and just watch what's around and all will b answered

It doesn't even need to be night time, just drive around Dublin any time of the day to see loads of Taxis parked illegally waiting to get onto ranks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I know things are bad because of the number of new plates since deregulation and the recession but it still amazes me when I see a brand new (2011) E220 CDI with a taxi sign on the roof, how do those guys manage to splurge on a new car if things are so bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

coylemj wrote: »
    I know things are bad because of the number of new plates since deregulation and the recession but it still amazes me when I see a brand new (2011) E220 CDI with a taxi sign on the roof, how do those guys manage to splurge on a new car if things are so bad?

Most likely because they have a corporate/vip book that demands it. It's usually a limousine type service. There are advantages to the plate such as use of bus lanes and being able to pick up fares when not busy.

I've got in some very nice taxi's over the years and that's what I've generally found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Go for it! The money is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Anyone who has ever asked me is the taxi business worth it, i gave them what they wanted to know and a few months in they've always regretted it.

One thing to remember, you're self employed its not compareable to a 40 hour paye job which is a common misunderstanding about the job. Some people can hack being self employed and others cant.

This website may be of use to you. http://irishtaxi.org/forum/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

coylemj wrote: »

Might be a retired person deciding to work a few days to keep busy and active.
    They are not depending on it to make a living

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

robertxxx wrote: »

The money sure is there... If you are the Regulator, Owen Lennon Signs, the taxi testers, Noel Ebbs, etc etc :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

Hi Chris,

My advice would be not to rely on it for a full time income. You'd make more working for a chinese doing deliveries.....

I'm taxiing since 1999, sometimes part time (whilst working another full time job) sometimes fulltime (working 60 plus hours a week). In 2005 i went back to taxiing full time as i needed a bit of flexability with kids starting school and my wife working non 9-5 hours. By 2007 if was a case of divorce the wife and family or divorce the taxi as i was spending 60 - 70 hours a week in the car to take home 500 - 550 quid a week after expenses but before tax......

My advice would be to take you exam and get your licence by all means. But don't commit to buying a taxi.

Rent one for a month or three and see how you feel.

City cabs i believe rent for weekends at a cost 100 quid incl insurance.....

Don't buy a plate and put it on a fresh car as the car devalues so quick once it has had a taxi plate associated with it and new transfers need cars either under 6 years of age or 3 years of age....

It's up to you but i really advise you to dip your toe in the water and don't dive in.......it's freezing cold.

There's a mixture of old wives tales and truth on http://irishtaxi.org/forum/

Happy motoring...But as a full time career....i wouldn't recomend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Good post Turbodiesel.

It kind of focuses attention on an aspect of the Taxi Regulation debate that has been overlooked in my opinion.

Was/is it the intention of the deregulation programme to make Taxi-Driving a part-time occupation in its entirety ?

At this stage the "Industry" should be well out of the shake-down period and moving forward,but that's far from where we are now.

The deregulated Irish Taxi industry is a mess with almost nothing to show in terms of improvement for the significant investment made in the entire Regulatory Framework.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭everyday taxi

robertxxx wrote: »

Why not just tell the truth. You hate taxi drivers, and want to further their misery. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭everyday taxi

Hi All,

I’m doing a bit of research and I am interested in learning about the general state of the Taxi Industry in Ireland.

I am interested in asking presently operating taxi drivers the following:

Are taxi drivers constantly active or are there long spells of waiting around? Also, is the taxi industry presently over supplied? (too few passengers for too many taxi drivers)

How much do licence plates generally cost? How long does a license plate typically take to pay for itself?

Are most taxi drivers content with their job or do most presently wish they were doing something else?

Are there any other considerations relevant to health of the taxi industry that I haven’t thought of?

Any contributions to the above will be greatly appreciated, no matter how small. (Feel free to PM if necessary)

Thanks In Advance for All Reponses

I'll put it to you simply. Im desperate to get out of the business. As i cant find alternative work plus im not entitled to social welfare..im trapped. Cruising the streets nowadays is akin to begging, can never legally get onto a rank, the stress is enormous. You will have guys (other taxies) who will run you off the road to get a fare. If you have a short fuse...DO NOT enter the business. Thats not to mention all the norm's, such as hassle from cops, argumentative customers, people doing runner's, people throwing up. Couple all that with knowing im a law abiding courteous professional, with a nice legit car with all regulations been adhered to, and to be aware there are many many illegal, uninsured etc etc (who are most likely in reciept of welfare too) operating right beside me justs puts the cherry on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

I waited 3 hours for my 1st job last nite. 8pm-11pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭JohnnyBananas

Thanks for all responses everyone. It's greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TravelTales

What is going on with taxi licenses? My friend has passed all the tests, paid for a license and is waiting since August 29 to get it. he has been sent from Billy to Jack and back again. Is there a policy of discriminating again drivers who have complied with all the regualtions, which keep changing?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

Hey, Johhnybananas, did you become a taxi drive

Advertisement