Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Barcadia Cork - Machine Fixing?

• 30-09-2018 11:56am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share a post from Barcadia Cork's Facebook page in the hopes that someone here might be able to assist.

https://www.facebook.com/BarcadiaCork/photos/a.1980903088794357/2243523969198933/

Basically, they are looking for help with repairing an Atari Star Wars cabinet. They've had it in storage for a year and want to get it out on the floor, but the machine is having some problems that they haven't had the time to fix.

The link above is to their FB as well so if anybody is good with this sort of thing, drop them a PM. As a regular, I'd be very excited about seeing this game in action too! :)

Comments

paid in food and tokens..........gtfo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

paid in food and tokens..........gtfo

The neck :D Imagine McDonalds offering to pay you in burgers for work done

Neck like a jockeys bollocks. Some cheek out of them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Jeez if they don't have someone to fix arcade machines i woukd be concerned.
    Seems like something you should look into before opening an arcade bar.
    Wouldn't know much about vectors myself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I called them on it on Facebook haha

"Ben Flyin we didn't mean this as "you do all the work" job but more of a community project to bring a few like minded people together to give it a go. We would also be happy to pay one person to fix it (if you'd like to send us a quote please do) but we thought this might be a bit of fun... and we would have some craic, fix some games, play some games, drink some drinks and make some friends. Maybe wires got crossed (and not just in the machine)."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

I was in here the week before last.Easily half the machines in there are faulty.Looks like they run them until they break and then plug them out and leave them there.There was a locked area down the end which looked to have all their best games broken in there.Playing pacman without being able to move up was a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Sounds like every other arcade then. I shat my pants when I saw the arcade at Cineworld in Dublin had House of the Dead 4 but it was unplugged and collecting dust. Finally got to play it once and every other time I passed by it was unplugged.

I would have thought a barcade would have a handyman on speed dial considering their niche is arcade machines.

Token have put some of the better games into storage for repairs like Marvel Vs Capcom and Crazy Taxi. Don't know if they're in the same situation but at least they rotate them out with working machines. Haven't been there for a while though I think someone said Tetris is also down.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Was in there on Sunday and Tetris is running. Good selection there.

Several machines run LCD's now but I mentioned that to the people I was with and they said "only a nerd would notice that" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I'd imagine having arcade cabs running in a pub is a constant headache. I would definitely try and have a fairly extensive knowledge of repairs and some good contacts before taking on that challenge.

I find keeping my 3 pinballs in working order tough! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

It would make sense alright, I think there's always going to be ongoing maintenance needed where cabs are concerned. I still haven't got around to fixing mine.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Several machines run LCD's now but I mentioned that to the people I was with and they said "only a nerd would notice that" :p
    I take it they're no longer your friends:D

Interesting that Token are running some LCDs, I presume this is for longevity/cost/repairs. How easy is a setup like that on cabs? If it's a crispy clean RGB quality picture then I'd say there's no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Interesting that Token are running some LCDs, I presume this is for longevity/cost/repairs. How easy is a setup like that on cabs? If it's a crispy clean RGB quality picture then I'd say there's no issue.

Broken CRT so lashed in an LCD, simple as that really. Lazy fix.

Completely ruins a cab imo, it doesn't feel like an arcade machine anymore. No glow and no proper 240p...oh and screen lag so good luck with snappy controls :(

o1s1n wrote: »
    Broken CRT so lashed in an LCD, simple as that really. Lazy fix.

Completely ruins a cab imo, it doesn't feel like an arcade machine anymore. No glow and no proper 240p...oh and screen lag so good luck with snappy controls :(

On that point, how repairable are CRTs? The only two cabs I'd be interested in getting are light guns. If I got one I'd like to know if something went wrong I'd be able to repair it so it would last a long time. Are replacement CRTs possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭geotrig

DaveyDave wrote: »
    On that point, how repairable are CRTs? The only two cabs I'd be interested in getting are light guns. If I got one I'd like to know if something went wrong I'd be able to repair it so it would last a long time. Are replacement CRTs possible?

light gun games need crt, an LCD won't do ,actually some of the Sega ones maybe as they run of sensors , repair can be tricky but is possible for most CRTs, replacements are about but can be expensive and risky to ship.
    Depending on the games the mb or myriad of other boards themselves could also be costly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I have sent two monitor chassis (just the mainboard basically not the tube) to the UK, there are a few guys on UKVAC that fix them.
    Also a few guys in Ireland that do it but "Gunblade" has all the parts already.

Master of the Universe

Yeah I've had Grantspain fix my Pony's chassis (it crapped out on me after a year of use)

Myrddin was also nice enough a few years ago to do a cap kit on my SNK cab.

The images on both monitors is now super bright and crisp, should be going for many years to come.

Removing the chassis is actually a really simple process, I took a few snaps along the way with my phone just to remind me where cables reconnected.

The only 'scary' bit is discharging the monitor. There are loads of guides online, it's nothing too technical, just a bit unnerving the first time you do it.

Myrddin was also nice enough a few years ago to do a cap kit on my SNK cab.

Sound chap that fella

Master of the Universe

Inviere wrote: »
    Sound chap that fella

Actually, now that I mention it, it was Enternow, he was a sound lad.

All Myrddin did was close the Sega forum :eek:

Actually, now that I mention it, it was Enternow, he was a sound lad.

All Myrddin did was close the Sega forum :eek:

He had to, AtGames were eyeing it up. He couldn't let that happen to it...

• Advertisement
Advertisement