Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Finding information on person at Dun L address in 1938

• 10-10-2018 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

There's a mysterious great-uncle, whose initial I only know, living at a house in Dun Laoghaire in 1938. Are there electoral rolls or rates records or similar for that period (not online obviously) that I could consult, does anyone know?

P.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

There are Thom's Directories at Ancestry up to 1946 if that's any good.
    Or if you can visit the Dublin City Archives at Pearse Street Library you can view electoral rolls from about 1937 to 1963.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Pearse also has telephone directories...

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Hermy wrote: »
    Or if you can visit the Dublin City Archives at Pearse Street Library you can view electoral rolls from about 1937 to 1963.

DCLA electoral registers are only for Dublin city, not Dun Laoghaire.

Try the local studies dept of DLR lexicon library for DL electoral registers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

tabbey wrote: »
    DCLA electoral registers are only for Dublin city, not Dun Laoghaire.

Ah flip - I did think that might be a possibility.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

There's also a possibility Fingal has them. I've looked at electoral registers for places like Tallaght and Newcastle in Fingal Archives.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If it is an unusual surname, you might be able to get some reference to him in newspaper reports of social or sporting activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

spurious wrote: »
    If it is an unusual surname, you might be able to get some reference to him in newspaper reports of social or sporting activities.

A very common name unfortunately!

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

I got in touch with Nigel (can't remember surname) in the Lexicon and was able to view voter's registers for Blackrock for the 1940s.

You'd probably have to make an appointment.

Advertisement