Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Taxi parked on corner.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

GM228 wrote:
    Private vehicles or any vehicle can park in a loading bay for as long as they like outside of the hours of operation. (Provided there are no other parking restrictions signs).

Outside of the hours of operation it is no longer a loading bay so a private car can never park in a loading bay

GM228 wrote:
    Taxis can't pick up or drop off during the hours of operation.

Taxis can pick up in a loading bay 24/7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭honreal

Taxi drivers are **** (sweeping statement but accurate for 99.9% of them) I despise them. I never give them the time of day on the roads and hold my ground at every opertunity. I absolutely hate it when they are travelling in the bus corridore and a bus pulls in so they think they hav this authority to merge back into the right lane regardless of who is in that lane. Bully boy tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Outside of the hours of operation it is no longer a loading bay so a private car can never park in a loading bay

A loading bay is always a loading bay just like a bus lane is always a bus lane, hours of operation do not change that fact, infact hours of operation is the incorrect term, operation of a loading bay is 24 hours, the times indicated are for the restrictions on parking of non goods vehicles.

Incorrect, no vehicle other than a goods vehicle which is loading or unloading can park in a loading bay during the hours of operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

I applaud the taxi driver. I would have given the same answer if I were questioned like this.Oh should have minded her own business but to top that off she stopped the car while dangerously overtaking (according to Op).

If you want to follow the route above you have to know the law and the rules of the road. Op knows neither. We pay Gardai to do this job.

If our law enforcement officials deem that's ok for the taxi to be there and they can practically see this from their station a few hundred meters up the hill.

Like I say if this escalated and there was a civil suit the OH is legally responsible for at least part of anything that might happen. We have police for a reason. Op or oh are not police. You have no legal right to ask taxi driver any questions. They call this in a court of law looking for trouble.

Where in statute or case law does it say a person has no legal right to ask a questiin.

In a court of law if a prosecution of the taxi driver followed the first question a judge would ask is did anyone ask why he was stopped.

For a person saying the OP has no idea of the law you are spouting some dubious legal claims. I have every right to ask any question in fact pretty much the same as AGS what I do not have is a right to demand an answer. The taxi driver has no right to be aggressive to an other driver who simply asked a question. And the excuse she asked me a question would get little sympathy from a DJ if the taxi driver was prosecuted for a section 6 public order.

BTW a prosecution as common informer is a criminal prosecution not a civil matter, as I said any of us can bring such a prosecution not just AGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

GM228 wrote:
    A loading bay is always a loading bay just like a bus lane is always a bus lane, hours of operation do not change that fact.

Absolutely not a clear way is only a clear way during the hours of operation. A pay & display parking spot is only a pay & display parking spot during the hours of operation. A loading Bay is only a loading Bay during its hours of operation.

You're answers are getting very childish. You seem to be grasping at straws. Nothing you have posted in anyway suggests that the op & his other half behaved in the correct manner. Oh half was obviously looking for trouble.
    I'm not going to keep repeating so I'm done replying as the thread is going nowhere.

• Advertisement

Absolutely not a clear way is only a clear way during the hours of operation. A pay & display parking spot is only a pay & display parking spot during the hours of operation. A loading Bay is only a loading Bay during its hours of operation.

You're answers are getting very childish. You seem to be grasping at straws. Nothing you have posted in anyway suggests that the op & his other half behaved in the correct manner. Oh half was obviously looking for trouble.
    I'm not going to keep repeating so I'm done replying as the thread is going nowhere.

I suggest you make yourself familiar with legislation, we arn't talking about clearways or pay and display, we are talking about loading bays, each have their own unique rules and regulations.

My posts have nothing to do with the OP so you are correct they don't suggest anything in relation to the OPs message, but they are in relation to the question asked within this thead about loading bays.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

Parking in Loading Bays

42. (1) Where traffic sign number RRM 009 [Loading Bay] is provided, a vehicle other than a goods vehicle being used for loading or unloading shall not be parked during a period which shall be indicated on an information plate.

(2) A goods vehicle being used for loading or unloading shall not be parked in a loading bay for a period exceeding 30 minutes.

I read this as the loading bay only being operational to goods/commercial vehicles during the times stated on the sign provided and after that any vehicle can use the space. Am i right?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The 1997 regs on double yellow lines

36. (1) Save as otherwise provided for in these Regulations and subject to article 5, a vehicle shall not be parked on a public road at a location, in a manner or for a purpose referred to in this article.

A vehicle shall not be parked—

( c ) within 5 metres of a road junction;

There are exceptions

( e ) a prohibition on the parking of a vehicle imposed by article 36(2)(a) shall not apply to a vehicle parked while goods are being loaded in or on to it or unloaded from it, for a period not exceeding thirty minutes from the commencement of the parking.

Looks to me like the un/loading argument isnt relevant as it doesnt give an exception for 36(c) i.e. within 5M of a junction?

GreeBo wrote: »
    Looks to me like the un/loading argument isnt relevant as it doesnt give an exception for 36(c) i.e. within 5M of a junction?

I completely agree.
    Under no circumstances should the taxi have been parked in that position. It is illegal. In my view the OP should have taken pictures or a video of the obstruction (making sure to capture reg and taxi number) and bring it straight to the Gardai and provide a statement.

I see a few posts insinuating that question posed to the taxi driver was unwarranted however i would more than likely do the same out of courtesy. The ignorance and aggression from the taxi driver is completely uncalled for regardless of the circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Roadhawk wrote: »
    Parking in Loading Bays

42. (1) Where traffic sign number RRM 009 [Loading Bay] is provided, a vehicle other than a goods vehicle being used for loading or unloading shall not be parked during a period which shall be indicated on an information plate.

(2) A goods vehicle being used for loading or unloading shall not be parked in a loading bay for a period exceeding 30 minutes.

I read this as the loading bay only being operational to goods/commercial vehicles during the times stated on the sign provided and after that any vehicle can use the space. Am i right?

Any vehicle that is stopped in the loading bay for the purpose of loading or unloading of goods is allowed, it does not exclude private vehicles once a delivery or collection of goods is being made.

Are taxi passengers classed as goods? I doubt they are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

everyone knows that the white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the red zone.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Any vehicle that is stopped in the loading bay for the purpose of loading or unloading of goods is allowed, it does not exclude private vehicles once a delivery or collection of goods is being made.

Are taxi passengers classed as goods? I doubt they are.

The regulation says only a goods vehicle can be parked, in a loading bay, and that is defined by the regulations as.

"goods vehicle" means a vehicle used exclusively for carrying goods and taxed for commercial purposes;

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Sleeper12 wrote:

Roadhawk wrote:

Roadhawk wrote:
    Parking in Loading Bays

Roadhawk wrote:

Roadhawk wrote:

Look at you coming in here with your laws an proof...

Don't you know boards arguments are won by fist waving and going off topic on crazy tangents.... Noob

The regulation says only a goods vehicle can be parked, in a loading bay, and that is defined by the regulations as.

"goods vehicle" means a vehicle used exclusively for carrying goods and taxed for commercial purposes;

Ah yes you are correct. I was confusing it with the double yellow lines where you can stop on them for a certain time to load or unload goods from a private or commercial vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

Illegally Parked. Touting for Fares, I wonder what time of Day it was. And his reaction is typical of most taxi drivers.

Out side Wrights of all places, go to the Cafe Bar on the Malahide Road in Swords here...https://goo.gl/maps/V2hCmu2Ls8N2 any time after 11 any night of the week they use the footpath on the right as a taxi rank, up to 30 of them parked on double yellow / footpath, waiting for customers to exit there or Wetherspoons. Incidentally the red brick building across the road is the Garda Station.

Spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ireland really needs to introduce double red lines like they have in the UK. Parking on a corner touting for fares is taking the piss. An €80 on the spot fine would soon put manners on them

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Ireland really needs to introduce double red lines like they have in the UK. Parking on a corner touting for fares is taking the piss. An €80 on the spot fine would soon put manners on them
    Before we waste money on them the Guards should start enforcing existing legislation. They are a very poor police force I have to say.

murphaph wrote: »
    Before we waste money on them the Guards should start enforcing existing legislation. They are a very poor police force I have to say.

I agree - full reform needed but the entire organisation seems to be crippled when is comes to funding.

That why a quick picture on the phone and follow up in the Garda station might be effective.

I agree - full reform needed but the entire organisation seems to be crippled when is comes to funding.

That why a quick picture on the phone and follow up in the Garda station might be effective.
    Or how about they get out of the cars they are not trained to drive and get out on the streets on a pushbike and write out tickets one day or even for a few hours a week?

• Advertisement

Or how about they get out of the cars they are not trained to drive and get out on the streets on a pushbike and write out tickets one day or even for a few hours a week?

If the AGS are not writing the tickets how come 250,000 road traffic offences appeared in the DC in 2014 in relation to 164,000 defendants. On average 25 offences per serving member per year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

If the AGS are not writing the tickets how come 250,000 road traffic offences appeared in the DC in 2014 in relation to 164,000 defendants. On average 25 offences per serving member per year.
    Two per garda per month is not a figure which on its own will impress. Plus there's lots of stories and evidence of people simply ignoring the offences and the issue not being followed up.

Two per garda per month is not a figure which on its own will impress. Plus there's lots of stories and evidence of people simply ignoring the offences and the issue not being followed up.

Matters ending up in a summons does not include tickets issued as FPN which are paid.

They need to do a training course for bicycles aswell. I think its a 2 week course. As far as i know they can drive a garda car without training but cant use the emergency lights or siren.

Still i see your point, more work on the ground is needed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

I completely agree.
    Under no circumstances should the taxi have been parked in that position. It is illegal. In my view the OP should have taken pictures or a video of the obstruction (making sure to capture reg and taxi number) and bring it straight to the Gardai and provide a statement.

FFS - are you really being serious? Surely you are joking?

I traveled the M7 today. My dashcam would show several cars undertaking and a large number going over 120kmh - you think I should report these 50+ vehicles to the gardai?

Just checking - no its not April 1st.

The OP was indignant, probably blew a fuse and the taxi driver gave him back what he deserved. The OP runs to boards to get someone to tell him he was right.
    It ike p1ssing down your leg - good feeling, but nothing happens.

What other motorists do is none of your or my business. If they do wrong often enough, they get caught. But it is not for any other motorist to "berate" them - that's how road rage comes and as has been shown, raod rage is far far far more dangerous than some car parked on a double yellow line.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

VincePP wrote: »

I traveled the M7 today. My dashcam would show several cars undertaking and a large number going over 120kmh - you think I should report these 50+ vehicles to the gardai?

The OP was indignant, probably blew a fuse and the taxi driver gave him back what he deserved. The OP runs to boards to get someone to tell him he was right.

What other motorists do is none of your or my business. If they do wrong often enough, they get caught. But it is not for any other motorist to "berate" them - that's how road rage comes and as has been shown, raod rage is far far far more dangerous than some car parked on a double yellow line.

Why do I get the impression you're a taximan yourself? He wasnt the driver, he was a passenger, read the OP.

Isnt parking within x ft of a corner always illegal? In any case I'm pretty sure it would be covered under hazardous parking/obstruction/ w/e its worded as if a member of AGS was bothered.

But AGS park on double yellows in cycle lanes over a traffic island to get lunch or visit the ATM so what can we expect, really? My suspicion is that the reason we don't have an ANPR network to even somewhat replicate the UKs is Phoenix Park protecting its interests.

Your sense of sarcasm and aggression is quite worrying.

Most people know that the speed of a vehicle cannot be proven in court without hard evidence such as being caught by a speed camera or speed gun. If those cars you mention past a Garda car doing 190km/ph its still not admissible as evidence in court. However AGS usually book them under dangerous driving or something different.

You are right, what other motorist do is bodies business but if you are stopped or parked on a corner (which is illegal) you are directly increasing the risk of other road users by making them navigate around you. There is a reason why stopping on a corner is illegal. Its downright dangerous.

Road rage is a dangerous factor on the road which is usually a response to another road users actions. In this case the taxi driver flys off the handle (response) because a person questioned the legality or safety of where he was parked(trigger). However the person who felt compelled to address the situation (response) was only doing so because there was a blatant obstruction on the road (trigger). Out of all the drivers on the roads taxis should be considers professionals...nowhere in this thread has there been any displayed of professional actions or attitude from the taxi driver. Quite disappointing to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

ED E wrote: »
    Why do I get the impression you're a taximan yourself? He wasnt the driver, he was a passenger, read the OP.

Oh yeah - anyone who disgrees must be involved in the subject matter. Even primary school children would be embarrassed coming up with that retort.

OP "claims" it was the passenger, but OP was driving and OP is reponsible for what passengers do. The OP obviously slowed down to allow the passenger to vent - but I suspect the OP vented too.

Your sense of sarcasm and aggression is quite worrying.

Out of all the drivers on the roads taxis should be considers professionals...nowhere in this thread has there been any displayed of professional actions or attitude from the taxi driver. Quite disappointing to say the least.

No agression - plenty of sarcasm though.

If you look at the op's picture, it would not be considered dangerous parking/stopping. Yes if a garda was about he/she would have moved them on. But you can see that the OP should ahve seen quite clearly that the taxi was stopped and it was also quite easy for the OP to manouver around the obstruction. But the op seems to wnat to be indignant and puff his chest out. I'm sure the OP never ever goes over 50km in 50 area, never ever parks on a double yellow, never ever goes through an amber light - in fact I reckon the OP is the most perfect excellent non offending driver in the country.

As for taxi driver's being considered professional drivers - no definitely not. Driving may be their profession, but I would not consider them to be professional drivers. Similarly with van drivers. However I would consider HGV drivers to be professional drivers.

No agression - plenty of sarcasm though.

If you look at the op's picture, it would not be considered dangerous parking/stopping. Yes if a garda was about he/she would have moved them on. But you can see that the OP should have seen quite clearly that the taxi was stopped and it was also quite easy for the OP to manouver around the obstruction. But the op seems to wnat to be indignant and puff his chest out. I'm sure the OP never ever goes over 50km in 50 area, never ever parks on a double yellow, never ever goes through an amber light - in fact I reckon the OP is the most perfect excellent non offending driver in the country.

As for taxi driver's being considered professional drivers - no definitely not. Driving may be their profession, but I would not consider them to be professional drivers. Similarly with van drivers. However I would consider HGV drivers to be professional drivers.

You pretty much contradicted yourself here:
    If you look at the op's picture, it would not be considered dangerous parking/stopping. Yes if a garda was about he/she would have moved them on.
    ...The reason why the Garda would have moved the taxi on is because its illegal but the reason why its illegal is because it is dangerous.

I completely disagree that it would be considered safe or convenient to simply drive around a parked car on that corner, particularly if its a busy weekend.
    I'm sure the OP never ever goes over 50km in 50 area, never ever parks on a double yellow, never ever goes through an amber light - in fact I reckon the OP is the most perfect excellent non offending driver in the country.
    ...completely irrelevant.

At least we are of consensus toward taxis, although i'm not too sure about labeling HGV drivers as professional drivers either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

You are missing the point here. It is NOT illegal for him to stop on double yellow lines.

No Double Yellow issue in the O Connell St situation at all...I'm just uncertain as to the location of the exemption relating to "Sticking it up on the kerb" which is apparently in force at the relevant location here...
    Originally Posted by AlekSmart
    Take a stroll along O Connell St any evening after rush hour and watch in stupified amazement,as a constant stream of Taxi fellows shunt their vehicles up onto the footpath between Bachelors Walk and Abbey Street to sup coffee and doughnuts in Supermac's.

:)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement