Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is Parkway = Park & Ride?

Options
  • 23-10-2011 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭

If so, why not call it Park & Ride???

I was on the western suburban on Friday and was bemused to hear a conversation opposite me trying to figure out what parkway meant as we passed through some place called Navan Road Parkway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Parkway has a better ring to it really. I guess that's it.

Personally I think park and ride has too many funny connotations attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Parkway is a term used to describe Park and Ride Stations - both are interchangeable. There are numerous examples across the water on the British railway network.

I would say that Parkway does sound better too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Park and Ride in common parlance = A service wherby you park your car in a designated 'park and ride' car park, and then ride on the (Park and Ride Bus) into the shopping area/Town. I think 'Parkways' are synonyms with parking at Railway Staions.

ParkAndRideSignOxford20050910.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

n97 mini wrote: »
    If so, why not call it Park & Ride???

I was on the western suburban on Friday and was bemused to hear a conversation opposite me trying to figure out what parkway meant as we passed through some place called Navan Road Parkway.
    Navan Road Parkway is the new name for Pheonix park station afaik

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The Parkway in Limerick is a shopping centre. Never had a Park & Ride function (or a station). Did have a disco though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Parkway in Limerick was developed by the Parkes Brothers!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The place is also near to Park ( towards the canal) so its a double-whammy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

lxflyer wrote: »
    Navan Road Mews would sound better again, but sounding good isn't the point, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

Parkway is a term used to describe Park and Ride Stations
    Never heard of it. I've known "parkway" to mean a type of motorway, though (such as the M50 "Western Parkway").

LordSutch wrote: »
    Park and Ride in common parlance = A service wherby you park your car in a designated 'park and ride' car park, and then ride on the (Park and Ride Bus) into the shopping area/Town. I think 'Parkways' are synonyms with parking at Railway Staions.
    Conversely, all seven Luas Park + Rides are called Park + Ride, and the Luas isn't bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

As someone pointed out to me on here a couple of weeks ago, Irish Rail is currently run by a Brit, and he's evidently decided to use British naming convention (hence parkway instead of Park and Ride). Don't see the problem with it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

I thought a Parkway was like a scenic/landscaped road/motorway. They've loads of them in U.S. Always thought the idea of them was a bit funny.

CIE wrote: »
    Parkway is a term used to describe Park and Ride Stations
    Never heard of it. I've known "parkway" to mean a type of motorway, though (such as the M50 "Western Parkway").

A simple search of www.nationalrail.co.uk will reveal a list of stations with the term Parkway in their names:

Bristol Parkway, Ebbw Vale Parkway, Aylesbury Parkway, East Midlands Parkway to give you four examples.

Navan Road Mews would sound better again, but sounding good isn't the point, is it?
    I've given you several examples of its use in this context.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

hi, how do you pay for parking at this station?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

hi, how do you pay for parking at this station?

Credit card by phone/text/app

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

Doug and Dinsdale Parkes I think wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Navan Road Parkway, formerly Phoenix Park station is a waste of money. I rarely see more than one or two use it per train.

It was a waste of capital expenditure, intended for housing development in the former Phoenix Park racecourse, which was cancelled in the downturn.
    It remains wasteful stopping a train with hundreds of passengers who are entitled to travel at a rapid pace, rather than stopping at a zombie station.

Either close it or provide a limited service. Let the trains make use of speed where feasible.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

tabbey wrote: »
    Navan Road Parkway, formerly Phoenix Park station is a waste of money. I rarely see more than one or two use it per train.

It was a waste of capital expenditure, intended for housing development in the former Phoenix Park racecourse, which was cancelled in the downturn.
    It remains wasteful stopping a train with hundreds of passengers who are entitled to travel at a rapid pace, rather than stopping at a zombie station.

Either close it or provide a limited service. Let the trains make use of speed where feasible.

I've never seen less than maybe 15 a train at peak times. Carpark can be half full

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

a Rose by any other name?

• Advertisement

Heavy Rail census is here. See page 32. 174 daily boardings, making it the least used station. Broomebridge is 221.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Heavy Rail census is here. See page 32. 174 daily boardings, making it the least used station. Broomebridge is 221.

I rest my case.

I argued before that NRPW should have its service curtailed due to the poor patronage levels but was told those people have a right to a train service too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I rest my case.

To be honest the station itself is in right location the problem really is the services that it was meant to support have not been built. With a housing crisis ongoing all thats needed is for whoevers owns the land across the station to actually develop the land into its intended purpose and those numbers would go up a good deal. The station is a good investment at least its there it just requires the rest of the infrastructure around it to be constructed.

I rest my case.
    I argued before that NRPW should have its service curtailed due to the poor patronage levels but was told those people have a right to a train service too!

The difference removing one station stop would make to the overall journey time is minuscule - we're talking 1.5 minutes.

The difference removing one station stop would make to the overall journey time is minuscule - we're talking 1.5 minutes.

Multiply by twice a day, 5 days a week, 240 days a year. That's 12 hours a year spent sitting in NRPW.

Multiply by twice a day, 5 days a week, 240 days a year. That's 12 hours a year spent sitting in NRPW.

I doubt very many people will look at it like that being honest - only someone with a bee in their bonnet and a supposed point to make would go to those lengths.

In terms of a daily commute it makes sod all difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I think it would have made all the difference to my commute when I used to use the train. That 90 seconds would mean it'd be more likely that I'd make the Northbound DART that was due 2 minutes after the train, instead of missing it at least 3 days a week due to the train being slightly late. So dropping that stop could save me 20 minutes a day on my commute.

In terms of a daily commute it makes sod all difference.
    I think if you haven't commuted on that line you shouldn't be telling other people how their commute is.

• Advertisement

I think if you haven't commuted on that line you shouldn't be telling other people how their commute is.

With respect I get multiple buses every day.

Sometimes they can take five minutes longer than other days, sometimes ten, sometimes more.

In that context ninety seconds is immaterial.

Advertisement