Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

50kph on N3

Options
  • 12-10-2009 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

I was driving from Dublin to Kells on the N3 yesterday and the speed limit is reduced to 50kph from Dunshaughlin to Kells ,there are a few miles of exceptions but for most of it ,it's 50kph .
    Is this how they're going to get us onto the motorway !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

I saw these signs yesterday as well. Very unusual.

They are not temp construction signs either - look very permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

Is this now the legal limit ,or has the law not been changed yet? Anyway it makes no difference to most of the people who break the speed limit whatever it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Are they about to do a big re-surfacing job perhaps? I think there is some recent piece of Health and Safety legislation requiring Councils to erect permanent speed limit signs during any roadworks. Read it somewhere lately...

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

dsane1 wrote: »
    Is this now the legal limit ,or has the law not been changed yet? Anyway it makes no difference to most of the people who break the speed limit whatever it is.

I'm all for lower speed limits on some of our roads, but this one does not make much sense. I could see the argument for 80km/h a lot of stretches of the N3. But this speed does not make much sense at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

If it is resurfacing, then surely it would make more sense to wait til the M3 was open and at least some of the traffic was taken off the road? The road surface isn't bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I'd be amazed if the NRA was spending a heap of money resurfacing the N3 given it'll lose N status quite soon, unless they know they'll be responsible for the R156 or whatever it will become given recent changes to their powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

IMHO these speed limits that appear because there is going to be line painting next week or whenever are a real threat to health and safety. The average speed on the N3 is probably not much different today and no work is being done, so the comcept of a speed limit is discredited. They need a clear legal framework for applying speed limits while work is really taking place, when workers are at actually at risk . These should be striclty enforced at these times and removed at all other times.

Just a quick update .I got the bus into Dublin this morning and it took an extra 15mins getting in (the driver seemed to be sticking to 50kph) and no one working on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

Complete nonsense and I will treat it as such !

Complete nonsense and I will treat it as such !

I'm sure any judge will accept that instead of giving you penalty points .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭chewed

If one were a conspiracy theorist, one would think that these signs were a deliberate ploy to frustrate drivers prior to the opening of the M3 to force them off the old road!

Remember how long it took to install the bus lanes on both sides of Dunshaughlin as well as the roadworks on the Kells side of Navan? This was all happening during the debate and protests on the Tara/Skryne campaign!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

they did exactley the same on the old N4 before the new one opened, move along nothing new here

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

I don't really care what a judge thinks to be honest. Installing idiotic and non sensical speed limits on roads just causes people to ignore speed limits in other areas where they warranted. The N3 is for the most part a decent road and vast majority of it may be travelled at 100 kph perfectly safely...

Due caution should of course be observed around roadworks and speeds of 50kph or less observed. Of course anyone with half a brain will be able to figure this out for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

When the Newtownmountkennedy bypass opened back in the day, the local district court judge threw out a few cases one day for speeding under 70mph and told the gardaí he would not allow a convict anyone in any further cases of speeding at 70 or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭SeanW

they did exactley the same on the old N4 before the new one opened, move along nothing new here
    They most certainly did not! The speed limit was reduced to 80kph on what became the R148 - NOT 50kph. Also, the existing N3 is still a national road.

Advertisement