Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second chance?

• 06-07-2001 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

First of all, apologies to Bard for this not being in Irish but if you keep reading then you might understand why.

I think this board is great! I haven't got the confidence in my Irish to post any Irish here yet but I do read it and find that it helps me to learn. I find the translations especially helpful.

Basically when I was in school my Irish teachers were absolutely useless and made a real mess of teaching the language. This isn't me being bitter they actually were crap but you'll have to take my word for that. I remember being very interested in the language and wishing that I could understand the teacher but instead of teaching me the language they were more interested in getting me to learn off poems and stories without me understanding them just so I could pass my exams, which I did.
    I became frustrated and dismissed the language and lost all interest in it.

But this board has sparked my interest in Irish again. Thank you. Ok I guess it's time for me to get to the point... Well I now want to learn to speak Irish again and I was wondering if anyone here had any advice for me. I was hoping to just get a book or tape and teach myself. Any suggestions?

Thanks. smile.gif

John (yes THE John!)
    "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government."

[This message has been edited by Puck (edited 06-07-2001).]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Doctúir

One of the most widely used book/tape sets is
    "Learning Irish" (Mícheál Ó Siadhail)

Also worth subscribing to the Gaeilge-B learners list
    http://listserv.heanet.ie/gaeilge-b.html

And 'Beo' also has stuff for the learner and a discussion board (although it's not aimed at learners)
    http://www.beo.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

A few more sparked interests like that of your good self Puck is all we need to set fire to this board and get it hopping with intelligent and interesting conversation. It doesn't have to be in Irish, but obviously, the more Irish used the better (although please translate the more difficult to understand words/phrases(/paragraphs!)...

I, myself, would love to brush up on my Gaeilge and improve my language skills... it's basically why I took on the role of moderator on here... unfortunately, the board isn't as busy as I'd hoped.

I'd also be interested to hear peoples recommendations for tapes, books, etc. for learning Irish... and if anyone knows of good night classes, be sure to post details here.

Cheers,

Bard
    First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Seems like traffic stopped here once the exams were finished smile.gif

Is e mo thuairim gur stop a lan daoine ag thabairt cuairt anseo nuair a chriochnaigh na scrudaithe (gaire)

I like my coffee like I like my women.......
    In a plastic cup

I like my coffee like I like my women......
    covered in bees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Ooh look at me and me karma!! biggrin.gif

I just wanted to bump this topic back to the top of the list again. I think others could benefit from it too and the board could really get going. I'd say I'm not the only one who hasn't posted here for lack of confidence in their Irish and I'm certainly not the only one who wouldn't mind brushing up on it.

John (yes THE John!)
    "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government."

[This message has been edited by Puck (edited 25-07-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭solo1

Agus cá bhfuil na fir greannmhar?
    Scaoil amach na fir greannmhar;
    Ná bac leo, tá siad ansin.

:-(

• Advertisement
Advertisement