Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Market 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,988 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

RayCun wrote: »
    The 100 people isn't static. If people retire early, stay in school longer, are out of work with disability, are supported by spouses etc, they aren't counted as part of the workforce. They aren't among the 14 people signing on. But when jobs are available they go out to work.

It was a nonsense point in the first place, it means 86 of 100 of the workforce are in employment. Those 14 who aren't have who knows how many dependents.

And 14 of 100 people not working is obviously massive. Seems to be acceptable for some as long as they're ok though it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Oddly formatted posts are the least of your problems.

Perhaps a recession is the wrong word for a solution - the main point is that we are hurtling towards unsustainability. I'm not talking about a 2008 type of recession but some type of correction to the unsustainable level of job creation in Dublin being fed by more and more people coming here to work when we do not have accommodation for people. This is just making rent more expensive (in conjunction with utilities etc.) which means that net wages are dropping more and more yet we are told things are going well which is ridiculous.

I think this article puts the point across better how some type of correction would actually be beneficial http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/this-time-the-overheating-is-different/

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭M.Cribben

Pussyhands wrote: »
    You're thinking that every recession is on the level of 2008. 2008 was a once in a generation event.

Exactly.
    It's part of our survival instinct as humans to seek out patterns and assume they will repeat. We saw property prices reach these levels in 2007, then recession hits in 2008. The problem with this logic is it doesn't account for any of the complex economic factors that impact property prices. I believe the economy will slow down certainly in the coming 3-5 years, as the rate of acceleration is unsustainable. But a crash/recession on the scale of 2008-2013? Not a chance imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭M.Cribben

Perhaps a recession is the wrong word for a solution - the main point is that we are hurtling towards unsustainability. I'm not talking about a 2008 type of recession but some type of correction to the unsustainable level of job creation in Dublin being fed by more and more people coming here to work when we do not have accommodation for people. This is just making rent more expensive (in conjunction with utilities etc.) which means that net wages are dropping more and more yet we are told things are going well which is ridiculous.

I think this article puts the point across better how some type of correction would actually be beneficial http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/this-time-the-overheating-is-different/

Another shock could be that those large service-based multinationals pull out of Ireland. This would definitely send the property market into an overheating/slump/crash trajectory.

This doesn’t look like happening – and even if it did, the crash wouldn’t spill over to Irish balance sheets, because we Irish are not really involved in either the financing or the developing part of this property market.

Interesting point, on the day that Facebook announce move to a new campus with capacity for an additional 5,000 jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Why do you think the problem is job creation rather than the supply of housing?
    Wouldn't it be better to have all these jobs, and more places to live, than to reduce the number of jobs?

• Advertisement

Wouldn't it be better to have all these jobs, and more places to live, than to reduce the number of jobs?

Because wishing misery on others is preferable obviously.

The problem with the job creation is that the supply of housing is not keeping up with it and there is little being done to increase the supply of housing. We have had all major parties in some form (i.e. with their TDs or via their councillors) objecting to housing developments yet at the same time pretending to care that it is a housing "crisis".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Even in the great recession we had 86 out of every 100 people working. That's a lot of people.

Not good data you are using there.

I wasnt working here and I barely showed in their figures. I lost my job in '09 went on the dole for a short period, did some college and them emigrated for 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Not good data you are using there.

I wasnt working here and I barely showed in their figures. I lost my job in '09 went on the dole for a short period, did some college and them emigrated for 3 years.

Yeh, he obviously didn't count you when he mentioned the stats... did you have your hand up? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

The problem with the job creation is that the supply of housing is not keeping up with it and there is little being done to increase the supply of housing. We have had all major parties in some form (i.e. with their TDs or via their councillors) objecting to housing developments yet at the same time pretending to care that it is a housing "crisis".

Why is it not a condition of planning permission for large office developments to be mixed use - i.e. to have a percentage of residential accommodation in some proportion to the number of employees envisaged? A number of the new office developments in the Docklands are mixed use, I don't know whether this decision was a imposed by planning dept or developer led. Should be much more widespread, either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

The answer has to be supply. Supply, supply, supply. And not just in Dublin, because that is going to lead to sprawl and without a sea change in the Irish need for a house rather than an apartment (which will take a generation to change) or a transport network that can cope (which will involve massive investment by the government and therefore increased tax) that's going to lead to a really crappy life for the people that live more than an hours commute from the city.

The supply push has to be in Cork and Galway too, whose housing markets are also overheating, though perhaps have a greater capacity to take on more people if the supply is there. We just need to get the MNCs there too.

And you can't get away from the fact that part of that housing solution has to be social housing. It's not the only factor, but it has to be part of it. Taking a tranche of lower end renters out of the equation will decrease rents overall. That will dissuade the REITs from bulk buying new builds, increasing the supply. Other things like reducing the cost of new builds and using the carrot AND stick to discourage land hoarding will also help. I've always been against the use of CPOs for anything other than national infrastructure reasons, but I'm actually coming round to the idea of using CPOs for derelict properties. I'm just not sure any laws allowing that would be constitutional.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mike_cork

The lack of properties to rent in Cork City is scary at the moment. When I go onto Daft.ie for a cursory look at available properties to rent i am shocked at how few are available/how expensive they are/how many views each available property is getting i.e.people desperate to find somewhere.

Terrible news announced this morning, Facebook to create another 5k jobs in Dublin. Devastated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

M.Cribben wrote: »
    Interesting point, on the day that Facebook announce move to a new campus with capacity for an additional 5,000 jobs.

This is it. The Government has clearly made the bed. Uber low corporate taxes boosted by huge income levies. Extortionate rents and housing costs. The American model stretching the gap between wealthy and poor. Welcome to Ireland of the céad míle fáilte :rolleyes:

Bit like the teachers. No hassle saddling young people the burdened. The only difference is they will never admit the mistake. Too interested in self preservation.

I do wonder what the breaking point is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The 100 people isn't static. If people retire early, stay in school longer, are out of work with disability, are supported by spouses etc, they aren't counted as part of the workforce. They aren't among the 14 people signing on. But when jobs are available they go out to work.

Yeah we had loads of 16 year olds leaving school after the JC to go labouring....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

mike_cork wrote: »
    The lack of properties to rent in Cork City is scary at the moment. When I go onto Daft.ie for a cursory look at available properties to rent i am shocked at how few are available/how expensive they are/how many views each available property is getting i.e.people desperate to find somewhere.

Don't worry we're going to privatise that to overseas pension schemes. Happy to build units for rent at extortionate prices. You're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

mike_cork wrote: »

A lot of folks on here are quite happy to see landlords leave the market.

Tough luck for anyone looking for a place to rent.

A lot of folks on here are quite happy to see landlords leave the market.

Tough luck for anyone looking for a place to rent.

Every second thread seems to have a story about REITs buying/building whole developments to rent.

Yeah we had loads of 16 year olds leaving school after the JC to go labouring....

How about 18 year olds choosing between college and immediate employment?

• Advertisement

Terrible news announced this morning, Facebook to create another 5k jobs in Dublin. Devastated.

5k workers coming from all over Europe on an Erasmus holiday to work and play before following the jobs to the next city that bends over and spreads its cheeks for Big Tech to stretch the resources to the max, simply following the bottom line and contributing minimally to the benefit of the country's economy.

If the announcement was followed with "5,000 new apartments to be developed on south docks" then these sort of announcements would be great. Otherwise, at this point it is dismaying to read that the jobs are going to Dublin yet again with no housing to match it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭cordy1969

5k workers coming from all over Europe on an Erasmus holiday to work and play before following the jobs to the next city that bends over and spreads its cheeks for Big Tech to stretch the resources to the max, simply following the bottom line and contributing minimally to the benefit of the country's economy.

If the announcement was followed with "5,000 new apartments to be developed on south docks" then these sort of announcements would be great. Otherwise, at this point it is dismaying to read that the jobs are going to Dublin yet again with no housing to match it.

Yes absolutely terrible news, that the local economy will be boosted and increase consumer spending into the local areas.

Im with you, kill all big corporates and lets go back to living in wooden huts.

cordy1969 wrote: »
    Yes absolutely terrible news, that the local economy will be boosted and increase consumer spending into the local areas.

Im with you, kill all big corporates and lets go back to living in wooden huts.

It's not kill all big corporates - it's about sustainable growth which is the heart of good capitalism. Living conditions are worsening where resources are being stretched more and more. All the local economic benefits in terms of local businesses receiving a boost is excellent and that is what normally accompanies job creation. However, the housing resources are not there to sustain this level of influx to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

You know Bankcentre has previously held employees right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭cordy1969

It's not kill all big corporates - it's about sustainable growth which is the heart of capitalism. Living conditions are worsening where resources are being stretched more and more.

Then how about changing the investment laws to allow the capital investment into housing development that this country so desperately needs.
    Lots of complaining about how the housing crisis is this and that.

You tell the LL/Developer what they can and can't buy, how much they can and can't charge and then tell them that sorry if your tenant doesn't pay but they have no where else to live, so they can stay at your place rent free and don't worry about the damage the tenant has just caused its not covered its part of the risk of being a LL.

When people wake up to the ridiculous property laws in place here, only then will the market start to rebuild and stabilise.

cordy1969 wrote: »
    Then how about changing the investment laws to allow the capital investment into housing development that this country so desperately needs.
    Lots of complaining about how the housing crisis is this and that.

You tell the LL/Developer what they can and can't buy, how much they can and can't charge and then tell them that sorry if your tenant doesn't pay but they have no where else to live, so they can stay at your place rent free and don't worry about the damage the tenant has just caused its not covered its part of the risk of being a LL.

When people wake up to the ridiculous property laws in place here, only then will the market start to rebuild and stabilise.

I'm not sure what I could do to solve the crisis (increase property tax to ensure those that can't afford their property sell up, as an example) but I do know that the government of the past few years has (1) directly contributed to the crisis and (2) not taken impactful measures to try to alleviate it. It's a multi-faceted solution which is required but the bottom line is that the market needs to be flooded with properties, however that can be achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

You know Bankcentre has previously held employees right?

A different social segment of employees though. Most who worked in AIB didn't live in the south docks - they commuted in from all around Dublin and the commuter belt. Facebook has just been successful in securing a building which will allow it to recruit 5,000 more employess. Most of whom will want to live to Ringsend/Sandymount/close to the city. And there's no new apartments to house them in. All the building in that area is new office space.
    Then how about changing the investment laws to allow the capital investment into
    housing development that this country so desperately needs.

What laws would you wish to change?
    You tell the LL/Developer what they can and can't buy, how much they can and
    can't charge and then tell them that sorry if your tenant doesn't pay but they
    have no where else to live, so they can stay at your place rent free and don't
    worry about the damage the tenant has just caused its not covered its part of
    the risk of being a LL.

The problem is, most of those on HAP should be housed in social housing, not being accommodated by private landlords. Those living at the poverty level should not be a private landlord's problem, and the council paying private landlords to take them on is just outsourcing their responsibilities.

Not to say that all non-cooperative tenants are poverty line or working-poor level people. Some middle class tenants can be equally as crappy. But if you got those people least able to source alternative accommodation out the system, then judges would stop interpreting the law so favourably towards tenants.

They're not about Ireland they're about the OECD/EU.

There's an ESRI paper on this, published in July. The first line of the abstract is "Over the past 30 years, there have been periods of boom and bust, but average household incomes have grown strongly in Ireland".

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.esri.ie/pubs/BP201903.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiC6eObmcXeAhUQAXwKHbCMA0MQFjACegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw1Mo7SQha_0XXMDypnHg0Kn

You've no evidence to back up anything you've said do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Prices need to come down 25% realistically and that's just never going to happen no matter how much supply comes up.

Because new houses are probably 20% more expensive than current ones anyways just increasing the average price of property.

And without highrise, the new housing density is just not gonna be enough to cater for demand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Prices need to come down 25% realistically and that's just never going to happen no matter how much supply comes up.

Because new houses are probably 20% more expensive than current ones anyways just increasing the average price of property.

And without highrise, the new housing density is just not gonna be enough to cater for demand.

New houses are cheaper than second hand in most cases I've seen?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement