Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Must be a German type of humour..

Goes over my head

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion_G%C3%B6ttlich

I think its just an animator liked cycling and it became slightly popular,

Yeah the guy has done some work for the UCI here and there on promo clips for races and track events using the character.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Can anyone recommend somewhere safe to park a bike in the evening in Dublin city? I'm meeting a friend at the Radisson on golden lane and we might get a bite to eat and a beer (I won't be cycling p*ssed!!).
    Is the bike park on Drury st car park open late? Is it safe?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

some of the roads i find myself on wednesday evenings now are being used by swords mcnally for races. is it rude to tuck in behind a bunch of lads if i'm not racing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

some of the roads i find myself on wednesday evenings now are being used by swords mcnally for races. is it rude to tuck in behind a bunch of lads if i'm not racing?

Depends if I am swinging off the back and you can help me get back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,117 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Yes, but if you do a few turns at the front instead we won't mind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Raam wrote: »
    Depends if I am swinging off the back and you can help me get back on.
    i was thinking that too. then i saw the speed some of the lads were doing on the strava flybys and realised i'd have been of no use.

Lads racing: Hey, where is your number????
    MB: it eh ... fell off?
    Lads racing: /shrugs , Sounds legit.

MB's turn on the front approaches and conveniently so does his turn for home :pac:

Lads racing: Hey, where is your number????
    MB: it eh ... fell off?
    Lads racing: /shrugs , Sounds legit.

MB's turn on the front approaches and conveniently so does his turn for home :pac:

Watch comically as the others start shouting at him that he has taken a wrong turn :pac: I'd recommend holding up your hand to indicate a puncture, rather than dragging them off course before turning

• Advertisement

yeah, i was wondering what's the best hand signal for 'just pass me' in case there was any brief confusion as to whether i was racing or not.

yeah, i was wondering what's the best hand signal for 'just pass me' in case there was any brief confusion as to whether i was racing or not.

To be fair if they catch up with you and your not in their club jersey, they really should know that your not in the race. I wouldn't over think it, they are bound by the road traffic act, like the rest of us. Personally if I know a race is coming through, I pull in or move across the road but I wouldn't expect anyone else too, always pass people on more leisurely trips when racing and it never seems to cause an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

CramCycle wrote: »
    To be fair if they catch up with you and your not in their club jersey, they really should know that your not in the race....
    Looking at the pics from last night's race, McNSCC gear was in the minority. Looked more like an open race.

BTW magicbastarder, a lady with a basket on her bike crossed the finishing line with lads a few years ago (at Ardcath I think).

where was she placed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I read Slaying The Badger over the weekend and I'm midway through Rough Ride now. It's fascinating getting two completely different perspectives (3, I suppose) from the front of the race trying to win the 1986 Tour and the back just barely hanging on by a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

#IBikeIVote is a trending, get on it if you're at it.

Looking at the pics from last night's race, McNSCC gear was in the minority. Looked more like an open race.

BTW magicbastarder, a lady with a basket on her bike crossed the finishing line with lads a few years ago (at Ardcath I think).

If it is a club league, they really should be wearing club gear IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

If it is a club league, they really should be wearing club gear IMO

Will wear whatever we want.

https://twitter.com/RSAIreland/status/1130775241058332672

it's a nifty graphic, but there's a whole lot of info missing. falling from 9m up is not 'like' crashing a car at 50km/h. all they're assuming is that by the time you hit the ground falling from 9m, you're travelling at close to 50km/h.

Raam wrote: »
    Will wear whatever we want.
    And you can, it was just an opinion. It is 100% your choice, you can either have some respect for your appearance or not :pac:

• Advertisement

And you can, it was just an opinion. It is 100% your choice, you can either have some respect for your appearance or not :pac:
    no, i reckon that was a mod decision and any attempt by Raam to claim otherwise is ignoring mod instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,117 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Thems fighting words. I hope your sock game is on point.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

VCB always respect the jersey ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,630 ✭✭✭✭dahat

So had to buy a gp4000 2 today as my normal tyres put of stock....

Bloody hate changing tyres I've used without issue for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

• Registered Users Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Ah we wondered what that was here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Cycling had taken a back seat for me the last 6months given I was training to be punched in the face. But looking at my May stats on Strava there, I've averaged 250kms per week and have climbed 8000 metres. Reasonably pleased with that and a nice reintroduction

• Advertisement

god help cyclists out there at the moment. utterly torrential on the northside at the moment, and a light show to boot.

Advertisement