Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trainerroad

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Boscoirl wrote: »
    I cancelled my subscription back in Feb, as I had not planned on using it for the Summer.

Tried Zwift recently but got bored of it fairly quickly, went to sign back up TR, but the price has gone up :( was paying $12, now they want $18.99 cant bring myself to pay that much for it.

I still have some referrals, so i'll prob use them to get me through the next while

I have some referrals if you want any

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

i am using zwift with speed and cadence sensor only but not really seeing attraction

can i use trainer road with this setup and how accurate and useable is it

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Depends on the turbo - they do "virtual" power for some turbos. It's listed on their website. Consistency is what you really need, rather than accuracy in TR. FTP test, follow the plan, make the gains.

Maybe racing would be different, but I'd see Zwift as a smart turbo activity. TR much lower hardware requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

wpd wrote: »
    i am using zwift with speed and cadence sensor only but not really seeing attraction

can i use trainer road with this setup and how accurate and useable is it

thanks

What have you tried in Zwift, races, workouts, group rides?? I think it's awesome, especially in these times, did TR during the winter and am still a member but couldn't face it now

When I stick to the plan, I see improvements. But I guess that probably applies to any structured plan - once you follow it. The plans seem to be well rated by those more qualified than me.

How hard the workouts depends on the workout, and how accurate whatever FTP test you do. Personally, I struggle with the Ramp Test, as VO2 max is a bit of a weakness (and I think I have mental block around testing now), but I think I know what (for example) sweet spot should feel like, so have been self adjusting recently. You can test your FTP against some of the threshold workouts, like lamarck.

I think there's greater inertia if you use the big ring or something. It's a rabbit hole I try to avoid. I've seen it suggested that big v small ring goes some way towards outdoor v indoor "FTP", but I tend to think it's more about just sticking to one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

If anyone has a referral for Trainerroad could you please let me know? I've made good use of Zwift this year but need something more specific to training. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭themighty

PM me your email and first and last name and I'll fire one over to you. I'm sitting on a bunch of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Done, thank you!

Your PM hasn't come through to me yet for some reason!

themighty wrote: »
    PM me your email and first and last name and I'll fire one over to you. I'm sitting on a bunch of them.
    Me too, and need the same details obviously.

Just to clarify, I've trials to give out!

• Advertisement

I don't need name details anymore. They seem to have changed the way they do it. Just involves forwarding a link now. So just need email address for anyone who wants one.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Kamu

Anyone got a referral code? Go my Turbo Yesterday, would like to try before I buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Kamu wrote: »
    Anyone got a referral code? Go my Turbo Yesterday, would like to try before I buy!

I’ll pm you one now

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

Hi guys - if anyone has a referral code id like to give this a try too. Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dpforce

davegilly wrote: »
    Hi guys - if anyone has a referral code id like to give this a try too. Thanks a mill

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Galego

If anyone doesn't mind sending me too that'd be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Birka

Galego wrote: »
    If anyone doesn't mind sending me too that'd be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭theunforgiven

Hi,
    Does anyone use TR on a dumb trainer and or a tablet. (If so, spec/type etc)
    My laptop and trainer are old and I can't justify replacing both to get up and running for online cycling.

Thanks,

Hi,
    My laptop and trainer are old and I can't justify replacing both to get up and running for online cycling.

Thanks,

I just use an app on phone so no laptop needed. Best thing is try it out & see. I can send a one month free code if you want?

Hi,

Thanks,
    Phone App, pretty low spec. If you have a power meter, that's all you need. If you don't, they do offer "virtual power" for some turbos.
    https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/201685490-VirtualPower-vs-Power-Meters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Jimbo789

Interesting video from Dylan Johnson yesterday about TrainerRoad.

Not sure interesting is right. Even cherry picked the bits of TrainerRoad he had an issue with, never mind the "science".

They rarely recommend high volume plans, and the plans are designed to go through base, build, speciality not just in isolation.

Still, you could buy his plans I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,630 ✭✭✭✭dahat

For the vast majority TR is a cracking resource. I’d have good money that any untrained cyclist who took in TR for a decent period would see vast improvements.

It took me to an A4 win, my crowning glory as a cyclist.

Jimbo789 wrote: »
    Interesting video from Dylan Johnson yesterday about TrainerRoad.

950 posts and 7.5k views on the TR forum thread in one day - he’s definitely generated some heat!

Last year was my first year with TR. Made great improvements until about half way through build. Big bump in my overall fitness, speed and endurance. Couldn’t handle the intensity at that stage - felt really tired etc - and it coincided with the end of 5k restrictions so I switched to riding outside, which is the point of cycling for me anyway.

I’m just finishing 12 weeks of base this year, with a few weeks break in middle due to an injury. I can really feel the fitness improvement again.

I’m really curious to see if the intensity will become too much for me again this year during the build phase. I think this is the point of video. For a lot of people there’s too much intensity to keep it sustainable over months.

Even if does become too much though, I’m really happy with TR and it offers great value for money. It provides the structure to ride consistently when you only have a few hours available a week and no chance to get out in our short days.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭theunforgiven

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Phone App, pretty low spec. If you have a power meter, that's all you need. If you don't, they do offer "virtual power" for some turbos.
    https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/201685490-VirtualPower-vs-Power-Meters

I was thinking of getting a tablet for it. I've a voucher from work burning a hole in my pocket and the fact that TR can be used offline is a big plus also as noisy trainer = banished to the shed 😂

Mr. Cats wrote: »
    I’m really curious to see if the intensity will become too much for me again this year during the build phase. I think this is the point of video. For a lot of people there’s too much intensity to keep it sustainable over months.
    Well they nearly always recommend starting low volume if you're starting out.

My own personal experience is when I've genuinely stuck to the (mid-volume) plan, it's been hard but I've been able to handle it. When I haven't, it's always something external to TrainerRoad - my own sleep/ recovery; nutrition, work/ life stress; doing extra's outside of TR (commuting rather than the recovery workout, running), doing hard club spins without swapping out a workout. And also ignoring the instructions that most workouts have to reduce intensity if I'm struggling.

Like on that thread they're all giving out about the "Sunday" sweet spot workout - TR have said they used to be longer endurance workouts and people didn't do them. And the weekly tips say to swap them for something lower intensity and longer!
    I was thinking of getting a tablet for it. I've a voucher from work burning a hole in my pocket and the fact that TR can be used offline is a big plus also as noisy trainer = banished to the shed ��
    I tried a few years ago on a very bottom end tablet and it was only ok - more laggy than the phone anyway where I've never had issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭nilhg

Does TR have no way to let you feedback how you are feeling to the system?

I use Xert and it has a Freshness Feedback slider, so for example these few weeks while we are extremly busy on the farm I can dial down the intensity of the workouts suggested to me (you always have a choice) and on easier weeks while I'm feeling good I can crank it up.

543808.jpg

You can change intensity of every workout, and every intense workout I can think of that has workout text tells you to adjust based upon how you are feeling. So you don't set it before, but you adjust in workout.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭nilhg

Macy0161 wrote: »
    You can change intensity of every workout, and every intense workout I can think of that has workout text tells you to adjust based upon how you are feeling. So you don't set it before, but you adjust in workout.

So you'd go ahead with the planned workout but pull the intensity back a little or drop the duration?

Are you able to see TSS and difficulty in real time as you go through the workout?

• Advertisement

nilhg wrote: »
    So you'd go ahead with the planned workout but pull the intensity back a little or drop the duration?

Are you able to see TSS and difficulty in real time as you go through the workout?
    Well yes, but as a user I've realised today isn't going to be VO2 max day, and picked something else.

Yes - intensity is on screen, and in the app (not sure of desktop) you can scroll from interval view to one that shows TSS, NP, calories etc so far.

Advertisement