Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

where to get me a cargo bike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    The next time I cycle with my kite, watch this space.

Speaking of bikes and kites ...
    http://imgur.com/zm0kc41

I briefly considered putting this in the hi-viz thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Sooooooo, I finally have saved up enough to buy me a Bullitt!! :)

I'm currently using a Burley Bee to bring my 5 and 3 yo girls to school, but I'd rather have a Bullitt (you know, because!).

To justify the cost, I need to make sure I get another few years out of it, so I needs to have room for the two of them.

I'm looking at these two kinds of canopies:

canopy+1.jpg?format=1000w

166653fd3baa300bd535def0015bf907.jpg

I think the first is preferable to me, but I don't think it'll have much leeway to grow or much of an improvement over the Burley. The second is more "future proof", but less elegant.
    I'm also worried about width, for it to be day-to-day transport I need the girls to want to use it, and not complain about being squashed (like they currently do about the Burley, although I think that's as much because they'd prefer to be in the car - they look fine to me!).

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions before I push the button?

Is there anyone in Dublin (preferably South/South County) or north Wicklow who has one that would be willing to try the girls in yours?

Thanks all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭omri

AltAccount wrote: »

I'm currently using a Burley Bee to bring my 5 and 3 yo girls to school, but I'd rather have a Bullitt (you know, because!).

To justify the cost, I need to make sure I get another few years out of it, so I needs to have room for the two of them.

I think the first is preferable to me, but I don't think it'll have much leeway to grow or much of an improvement over the Burley. The second is more "future proof", but less elegant.
    I'm also worried about width, for it to be day-to-day transport I need the girls to want to use it, and not complain about being squashed (like they currently do about the Burley, although I think that's as much because they'd prefer to be in the car - they look fine to me!).

Is there anyone in Dublin (preferably South/South County) or north Wicklow who has one that would be willing to try the girls in yours?

Thanks all!

Hi - I got bullitt with the canopy from the top photo. Im in south co dublin if this helps, if you want to seeit drop me a PM and we can try to arrange something.

I have a boy 5yrs and a girl 2.5yrs. Theyare bit squashed width wise. I reckon I'd get another year maybe two out of it with the lad if he continues grow at this pace. Girl is fine and loves it especially when shes on her own inthe cabin. 2 kids + shopping tend to be bit tricky. Expect some fights too. What I discovered recently is a real peace maker - peppa pig or ben and holly on the phone and you might as well be carrying two big potato bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

Does anyone use a cover to store their bike outside? I have been using the Oxford 3 bike cover and while it fully covers my Big Dummy it isn't very durable and after 6 months of daily use it's too torn up to be effective.

Any suggestions welcome.

'68 wrote:
    Does anyone use a cover to store their bike outside? I have been using the Oxford 3 bike cover and while it fully covers my Big Dummy it isn't very durable and after 6 months of daily use it's too torn up to be effective.

Any suggestions welcome.

I think a big enough piece of good quality tarpaulin should sort you out. If you can buy it in some sort of customized size. They use it on trucks so this should last years with this kind of use. Not sure about prices but still it's probably best value.

I'm not keeping my bike outdoors at the moment but if I do that's what I will get to keep it dry and sheltered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Thanks all!
    I've the first one, 2 kids, 1.5 & almost 4, it's a snug fit but fine for now. There's occasionally tears when youngest tries to hit or grab something from oldest, but hopefully that'll diminish as he gets more words and can communicate better.

I get their creche bags and them in, but wouldn't get much more. I made my own seat as the LvsH only has lapbelts and I needed 3 point harness for little one at 8 months old.also saved 200 euro

Work in leopardstown, live in goatstown if either suit you to try for size, pm me

Thanks for the offer KenMc, but muchas gracias to Omri for the time, information and testdrive - as of Saturday I became a fully fledged member of the Bullitt Owners Club.

Well chuffed with my new purchase (well, second hand purchase). It doesn't have the canopy for the kids, but I'll get that through ThinkBike. Really looking forward to the long weekend now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Nice one, welcome aboard!where'd you pick up a second hand bullitt?

Omri pointed me towards one on Adverts! One in a million odds tbh :p

https://www.adverts.ie/hybrid-bikes/cargo-bike-harry-vs-larry/10792576

Thanks for the offer KenMc, but muchas gracias to Omri for the time, information and testdrive - as of Saturday I became a fully fledged member of the Bullitt Owners Club.

Well chuffed with my new purchase (well, second hand purchase). It doesn't have the canopy for the kids, but I'll get that through ThinkBike. Really looking forward to the long weekend now! :)

Congrats, congrats! :) It's a nice start to a great project. They even have di2 on bullitts!

I've put 203mm disc on my front wheel today and moved old 180mm from the front to the back wheel. The 203 for the front is an overkill by a mile. You can see how the wheel is being pulled to the left when braking. This might call for a damper kit... Putting back the rear wheel without any kind of bike stand (I used a big box of Fairy Bio to prop the frame) was a struggle (eventually I rested the saddle on my shoulder and lifte the whole thing up). So need to come up with some sort of custom made repair stand for the bullitt.

• Advertisement

omri wrote: »
    Congrats, congrats! :) It's a nice start to a great project. They even have di2 on bullitts!

Jaysus, you were tempting me with suspension forks when we were chatting, now you're dangling di2 under my nose!

Get thee behind me, devil!! :)

I've put 203mm disc on my front wheel today and moved old 180mm from the front to the back wheel. The 203 for the front is an overkill by a mile. You can see how the wheel is being pulled to the left when braking. This might call for a damper kit...

Also, I'm in the middle of putting an old set of these on at the moment
    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/brakes/disc-brake-system/hope/enduro-4/prd_360157_1507crx.aspx
    Pretty sure it's a 205 on the front, sooooooo maybe I should be thinking twice about the upgrade... :p

Jaysus, you were tempting me with suspension forks when we were chatting, now you're dangling di2 under my nose!

Get thee behind me, devil!! :)

Nothing wrong with a little bit of encouragement...

I'll give my road bike another chance but if it's over between us then definitely will get another bullitt for strictly personal use :)

Also, I'm in the middle of putting an old set of these on at the moment
    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/brakes/disc-brake-system/hope/enduro-4/prd_360157_1507crx.aspx
    Pretty sure it's a 205 on the front, sooooooo maybe I should be thinking twice about the upgrade... :p

I'm sure it will be fine although in technical info (on larryvsharry.com) they say max disc it will take in front is 203.

I'm sure it will be fine although in technical info (on larryvsharry.com) they say max disc it will take in front is 203.

challenge-accepted

So need to come up with some sort of custom made repair stand for the bullitt.

There's two pictures in this sequence that show a cargo bike propped up by the main tube behind the box. It's probably not all that much better than using the Persil Bio arrangement, except a bit stronger and more stable, I guess.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/iamnotacyclist/6123452343/in/photostream/

tomasrojo wrote: »
    There's two pictures in this sequence that show a cargo bike propped up by the main tube behind the box. It's probably not all that much better than using the Persil Bio arrangement, except a bit stronger and more stable, I guess.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/iamnotacyclist/6123452343/in/photostream/

I might have found the solution.

332301?

At €14 a pair. So €28 for 3 to put the bike on and one for spare parts :) + some old tubes to protect the frame. 50cm max height which hopefully will make things comfortable enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I might have found the solution.

At €14 a pair. So €28 for 3 to put the bike on and one for spare parts :) + some old tubes to protect the frame. 50cm max height which hopefully will make things comfortable enough.

They won't do alone as you'll be likely to pull the bike off them. If you come up with something to tie them together and something to strap the bike to the stands it will be much more stable.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    They won't do alone as you'll be likely to pull the bike off them. If you come up with something to tie them together and something to strap the bike to the stands it will be much more stable.

Was thinking some T shaped frame wooden or steel.

A winch or some rope around a sturdy tree bough might do the trick.

• Advertisement

My mean machine and some happy passengers this morning.

393224.jpeg

393225.jpeg

Well happy :)

P.S. This bike has a thru-axle quick release front wheel, whereas I prefer using locking skewers like these:

kfhup270.jpg

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to best make the front wheel un-nickable?

The wheel can't accommodate pitlock skewers or something like that?

I'm securing my front wheel using a Kryptolok Series 2; one arm of the shackle fits between the fork and the steering limiter and is long enough to encircle the rim of the front wheel and the steering linkage. It would be a bit of work to get the front wheel off. You'd have to remove the front mudguard and decouple the steering linkage at least. Not sure even then you could slide the lock out between the steering limiter and the fork.

The steering linkage on yours communicates with the fork lower down than my bakfiets though. It is mentioned in one of the links upthread the option of drilling holes in the front board of the box and passing a u-lock through those holes, thus securing the front wheel to the main tube as it rises.

P.S. This bike has a thru-axle quick release front wheel, whereas I prefer using locking skewers like these:

kfhup270.jpg

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to best make the front wheel un-nickable?

I was looking at sixpack nailer 2 but unfortunately couldn't find the right size axle for the front wheel - and its only front wheel that needs it. On bike24 they have 10x135 which might fit the rear wheel if its10mm. The front is 100mm and so far I didnt manage to find anything in this size.

I was just down in Fitz Cycles (they of the boardsie owner and excellent customer service) and they have never come across a locking skewer for a thru axle. Unless ThinkBike have an idea, we may need to order online from Pitlock.

Its a decent day outside so decided to test the cargo bike stand. A little bit of fiddling with the stands positioning and its as stabe as its going to get.

The wheel has to be turned otherwise the steering rod is in the way. At least in this layout. Its possible to position the stands to rest the box on them.

Would advise keeping the kids away from the bike but other than that it does the job. Putting the bike on the stands isnt too difficult either.

393642.jpeg

One more.

393644.jpeg

Another one.

393645.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭sarachryan

Hi there

Can anyone tell me the exact width of the Bullitt with the kids canopy in place? The width per their website is 46 cm but that doesn't seem to factor in canopy.

Also wondering what age I can expect to get out of it with two kids. Any view out there?

Finally wondering if anyone has any experience of the Babboe city. It's half the price.

Thanks

P.s. any chance anyone is selling one???

• Advertisement

Not sure about the other questions, but widths are:

Max external width: 585mm
    Internal width @ hips: 530mm
    Internal width @ shoulders: 565mm

Advertisement