Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should some vaccinations be mandatory?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Thankfully no one in my family has been diagnosed with leukaemia... Touch wood.

However my first was very poorly, he seems to have grown out of it again touches wood, the advice was not to change routine, let them build up whatever immune system they can and let medication do the rest.

I also think..... I'm not going down the Google rabbit hole... But I think it's a cancer kids can be treated fairly successfully with so it's for their own best interest to develop along with their peers.

Also a point made in the book "a fault in their stars" think that was the name....when cancer children are removed from full time education they know the prognosis is not good.

I'm basing all that on my opinion so totally open to contradiction.
    I don't doubt this for a second. Like I said in a previous post, I missed school from March and when I returned in September the nuns wanted me to repeat Junior Infants. My mother put the foot down and said I was joining 1st class with the rest of my friends and if I was struggling, then she would have me repeat. I was grand and caught up but I accept that it was a very young age and there's a massive difference when kids get older.

I'm genuinely not having a go at any parent who has a child with leukaemia. I've never been in that situation and I'm sure the doctors would advise the parents before they sent their child to school. I'm just not sure it's worth the risk of sending an immunocromprised child to school where they could pick up anything. There are always irresponsible parents who couldn't care less about their own kids, never mind other peoples.

That's why head lice is so prevalent. Responsible parents treat their kids but the irresponsible ones ignore the letters and the problem persists. It's not the best analogy but to me it makes sense. The same can be said in this situation-the responsible parents will vaccinate their kids and keep them off school when sick but the irresponsible ones won't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 Victoria Passage

MOD: Rereg post deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I don't doubt this for a second. Like I said in a previous post, I missed school from March and when I returned in September the nuns wanted me to repeat Junior Infants. My mother put the foot down and said I was joining 1st class with the rest of my friends and if I was struggling, then she would have me repeat. I was grand and caught up but I accept that it was a very young age and there's a massive difference when kids get older.

I'm genuinely not having a go at any parent who has a child with leukaemia. I've never been in that situation and I'm sure the doctors would advise the parents before they sent their child to school. I'm just not sure it's worth the risk of sending an immunocromprised child to school where they could pick up anything. There are always irresponsible parents who couldn't care less about their own kids, never mind other peoples.

That's why head lice is so prevalent. Responsible parents treat their kids but the irresponsible ones ignore the letters and the problem persists. It's not the best analogy but to me it makes sense. The same can be said in this situation-the responsible parents will vaccinate their kids and keep them off school when sick but the irresponsible ones won't.

Before I got to the final paragraph head lice popped into my head... Can't think of another way to phrase that.... Now I'm scratchy.... But yeah your dead right...some very selfish people out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Some of the, 'stories' on threads like this always remind me of some very wise words. The plural of anecdote isn't data.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭griffin100

Mech1 wrote: »
    Definately compulsary vacinations needed.

Part of a email recieved from one of my kids schools this week!

Dear Parents/Guardians
    One of our pupils is currently receiving medical treatment for leukaemia, which puts their health at risk if exposed to measles, chickenpox, mumps, shingles, scarlet fever, flu or any infectious disease. We ask for your co-operation in minimising the risk by doing the following:

• If your child does develop measles, chickenpox, mumps, shingles, scarlet fever, flu or any infectious disease, we ask that you contact the school as soon as possible. We shall inform the parents of the child that a case has been notified to us so that they can take appropriate action. If this child is exposed to measles or chickenpox, he/she can be protected from actually developing the infection if the exposure is detected promptly.

Your child is not at any risk whatsoever from this situation. We are asking for your co-operation for the health and well-being of the pupil who is at risk.
    We are happy that the child can remain in school throughout treatment and thank you most sincerely for your help in this matter

Vaccination against chicken pox is not routine in Ireland, there is no vaccine for scarlet fever, and there are lots of ‘infectious diseases’ for which there are no vaccines. What are parents of other kids expected to do? Any sign of illness keep all kids at home to facilitate this one child? Genuinely interested as to what this school expects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Need your vaccination record to get CA, attend playschool or attend mainstream school.

Totally agree.
    ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Well I said it before on the other thread, that a friend of mine chose not to vaccinate her child because her own brother was left severely disabled after being vaccinated. He was one of the very unlucky ones. He received a multi million dollar payout from the government to provide for the care he needed for the rest of his life (this is in the US)

She has no idea if the potential for such a reaction could be hereditary so she will not risk it. I completely understand that and I would consider that a medical choice not to tbh. Her sons doctors fully support her decision btw as they are aware of her family history.

Her son is my daughters best friend, I'm not going to shun him because of it, as suggested earlier ffs. That's just ridiculous.

I'm calling BS on this. What vaccination left him severely disabled, when, and is it still on the vaccination program? Wouldn't there be the possibility to check if the reaction would be hereditary, or at least give an idea? This is exactly the kind of nonsense that propogates the dangerous anti vaxx misinformation. Rumour, anecdote, half story with no scientific basis.

My own parents had a lackadaisical attitude towards our vaccinations. Some of us were vaccinated, some not, they couldn't remember who got what and the GP apparently had no record of it either. My mother refused to sign the forms for the Meningococcal C when I was a teenager spouting the anti vaxx bile of Andrew Wakefield, when she was just doubling down on carelessness. I grew up, moved abroad and had a test for all antibodies with the vaccination centre here, then was vaccinated for everything I missed as a child. She still gets all uppity when my daughter has an inoculation coming up, then I swiftly remind her that Andrew Wakefield has admitted to making the whole thing up, and that my degree in a public health field enables me to direct her to insert her opinion back to where it came from, inside her rear.

Advertisement