Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin to Paris with a catch

Options
  • 20-08-2019 1:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭

So I am due to travel to Paris monday till thursday for an important enough meeting. My friends bag was stolen on sunday which had my passport inside it. Question is:

Can i travel to paris, by Bus, plane or Boat without my passport or any other method for that matter considering we are outside the Schengen T.A im not hopeful. Anyone??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Don't think so.
    Ryanair require passport for every destination.
    Aer Lingus accept driving licence to travel to UK but need passport beyond that.
    Boats are the same as far as I know.
    Have you tried contacting the passport office, can you not get an emergency passport?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

The criteria for an emergency passport is very limited. However, it may be worth a shot to call them.
    Emergency passports are issued strictly in emergency situations such as death of family member abroad or urgent medical treatment. Please contact the Passport Service. Further information will be requested by the Passport Service including verifiable proof of emergency. For travel emergencies outside of our office hours please call +353 1 408 2000.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

Passport offixe wont issue an emergency was on there yesterday, and today just fobbed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Passport offixe wont issue an emergency was on there yesterday, and today just fobbed off.

That's a pity. Without a passport there would be no way that I can think of that the trip can be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭14dMoney

So I am due to travel to Paris monday till thursday for an important enough meeting. My friends bag was stolen on sunday which had my passport inside it. Question is:

Can i travel to paris, by Bus, plane or Boat without my passport or any other method for that matter considering we are outside the Schengen T.A im not hopeful. Anyone??

Have you got a picture of your passport? If so order a passport card with the same details. It'll arrive within 2 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Is there passport checks on the direct ferry? I guess one of the “benefits” of not being in Schengen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

You MUST have a valid passport, passport card to enter France from Ireland

No discussion, you will be refused boarding by every airline out of Dublin flying to France and turned back at the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

My wife applied online for a passport renewal recently and it arrived 2 days later. Would it not be as quick just to apply? Or do replacement ones take longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Get a new passport, they can be got very quick these days.

There is no way to legally travel outside of the UK and Ireland without a passport.

The only other option you have is illegally stowing away in a container or rowing from dover in the dead of night dressed all in black in an inflatable boat

Ok will check the application time for replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Ok will check the application time for replacement.

I'd say just apply today. You could have it by Friday. You'll need one anyway. Also, did you report your other one as lost so it can be cancelled?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Bring your parents passport....Be sweet if they had the same name as you.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Bring your parents passport....Be sweet if they had the same name as you.

Swear to god. I was thinking will i just bool another flight and go on me brothers passport hahah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Swear to god. I was thinking will i just bool another flight and go on me brothers passport hahah

that may be your only solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

If you look anyway alike I'd say you'd be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

JeffKenna wrote: »
    If you look anyway alike I'd say you'd be grand.

I would not chance this.

All ok if you get away with it, neither of you might ever get to leave Ireland again if you don't. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Wheety wrote: »
    I'd say just apply today. You could have it by Friday. You'll need one anyway. Also, did you report your other one as lost so it can be cancelled?

I actually just ordered my passport card on Sunday online and it arrived this morning so less than two days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

The nearest you'd get would be Dover

• Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭Stark

They're usually even stricter on the other side of the border I find so even if you managed to blag your way that far, you'd definitely be stopped at the passport checks on the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭howiya

I lost a passport a couple of years ago and was able to get a replacement passport provided that I had proof of travel. You will only be able to book an appointment at the passport office within 3 days (I assume business days) of your scheduled departure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭blackwhite

road_high wrote: »
    Is there passport checks on the direct ferry? I guess one of the “benefits” of not being in Schengen

There's French border control on arrival into Cherbourg and Rosscoff - usually involves holding up your passports as you slowly drive past them, but they pull at random for a more detailed check also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭blackwhite

howiya wrote: »
    I lost a passport a couple of years ago and was able to get a replacement passport provided that I had proof of travel. You will only be able to book an appointment at the passport office within 3 days (I assume business days) of your scheduled departure.

This

They won't issue an Emergency Passport - but they can fast-track the issuing of a new full Passport to you in person.

Where are you based OP? If you can get to Dublin today/tomorrow then book an appointment with them

https://www.dfa.ie/passports/questions/can-i-get-my-passport-today/

https://www.passportappointments.ie/

Appointment booked for today lads will let you know.

Advertisement