Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sharing threads or posts etc

Options
  • 16-05-2019 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭

Hi

It doesn't seem to be possible to do the above on the touch site on chrome on android phone.

E.g. sharing a thread to viber or share a post.

Can we get a fix?

Thanks
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi Tigerandahalf,

Currently, it is only possible to share on Twitter or Facebook as posts, but other sharing options would be a good idea.

480487.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

If you touch and hold the address bar, the https://boards etc bit, an option should come up to copy to the clipboard and then other share options. Touch the other share options icon (a sideways V, no idea what it's called) and all the other sharing options will come up at the bottom of your screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

If you touch and hold the address bar, the https://boards etc bit, an option should come up to copy to the clipboard and then other share options. Touch the other share options icon (a sideways V, no idea what it's called) and all the other sharing options will come up at the bottom of your screen.

That doesn't work. It just copies the main boards.ie address.

On whatever thread you want to share, touch and hold the address of that thread, the https bit at the top of the screen. Then this screen appears.
    rgqfn15.jpg
    Next, select the sideways V there at the top of the screen after the Paste, clipboard bit which will open up an icon menu with whatever options for sharing from your phone you have available?

As I said that will still only link the main boards.ie website and not the actual thread.

Try it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Chrome on android here and I can copy the full link when I select the address bar of a thread.

GBX wrote: »
    Chrome on android here and I can copy the full link when I select the address bar of a thread.

Have you actually pasted it into viber, whatsapp or gmail?
    I can also share but it doesn't share the full link, just the main website.

As I said that will still only link the main boards.ie website and not the actual thread.

Try it.

Have you highlighted the whole address? When you first highlight the address, there should be a pop up icon with an option to highlight the whole address which may need to be chosen and that should give you the whole address then?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Most browsers should have their own ability to share a page, I can do so from Chrome and the Samsung browser here to Messenger, Whatsapp, Gmail, etc.

Ok I have figured this out.
    Instead of pressing the share button press the copy button (one rectangle on top of another). It is to the left of the share button. This copies the full url.

For the average user a viber, whatsapp, facebook icon would be much better.

Thanks for the support.

• Advertisement

Most browsers should have their own ability to share a page, I can do so from Chrome and the Samsung browser here to Messenger, Whatsapp, Gmail, etc.

You are right Niamh. I had forgotten.
    Press the 3 vertical dots at top right corner, then click the share button. It has several sharing options.

Oh I was about to post screenshots to show you how to do it but you are way ahead of me now. Having share buttons directly accessible from a thread would be much simpler but hopefully this will work for you for the moment.

You are right Niamh. I had forgotten.
    Press the 3 vertical dots at top left corner, then on click the share button. It has several sharing options.

Exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Have you actually pasted it into viber, whatsapp or gmail?
    I can also share but it doesn't share the full link, just the main website.

Yes, pasted into Whatsapp and Gmail. No issue.

Advertisement