Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Importing cheap cigarettes to belfast

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,153 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

blossom180 wrote: »
    thanks dawn,had more than i was allowed from the canarys last week and customs took them,friend going to barcelona in a couple of weeks goin to get me some.

Yes Canarys are a different kettle of fish, only 200 allowed from there as they are outside the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Yes Canarys are a different kettle of fish, only 200 allowed from there as they are outside the EU customs union.

FYP. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I prefer to look at the relevant EU Directive rather than the Irish transposition, since the latter may or may not be correct.

Well the EC agrees with Irish law in this case:
    http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/common/travellers/within_eu/index_en.htm
    Tobacco and alcohol
    However, special rules apply in the case of goods subject to excise duty, such as alcoholic beverages and tobacco products.

Member States may lay down guide levels, solely as a form as evidence, which cannot be lower than the following quantities:
    a) Tobacco products
    cigarettes 800 items
    cigarillos (cigars weighing not more than 3 g each) 400 items
    cigars 200 items
    smoking tobacco 1.0 kg
    b) Alcoholic beverages
    spirit drinks 10 litres
    intermediate products 20 litres
    wines (including a maximum of 60 litres of sparkling wines) 90 litres
    beers 110 litres

guide levels

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭mikewest

And even more importantly
    solely as a form as evidence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Yes Canarys are a different kettle of fish, only 200 allowed from there as they are outside the EU.

This is the same as Gibraltar we went to spain a couple of years back got a bus down to Gibraltar for the day and we had been told you could only bring 200 back!!

Tons of people on the bus bought around 800 bus got pulled over just at the border ( in the middle of the airport runway strange Island :) )and everyone was taking off and bags got searched.

Anyone with more than 200 the rest got taken off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Sorry for dragging up an old thread but what can I legally bring through Dublin airport for personal consumption, is it 10,000?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

There is no actual limit on what you can bring in. The only requirement is that it is for your 'personal use'. The 800 or 3200 'limits' are nonsense and are not enforceable. They are only supposed to be guidelines, not limits, and a ridiculous guideline in the case of 800 at that. You can fill an aircraft hand luggage bag, bring it home with you, and just declare it as being for personal use and they can do nothing about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Djdukey

Hey,

Just wondering - Im planning another trip to Romania (!) and im planning on bringing back cigs (even tho I have some from last trip :))

I know the thread has established that we can bring back as many cigs as we want now. But im wondering does that include eastern block countries. I sometimes see that these countries have only a 200 limit, even though there in the EU.(Romania, Latvia, Lithuania, Bulgaria etc).

I read somewhere (forget now) that people on a flight from Riga were ALL passengers were checked and cigs confiscated.

Can anyone clarify this? The revenue dont seem to be too clear and it seems like they are impossible at keeping their pages up to date.

And also, has anyone gone through Dublin Airport with over 3000 cigs and been checked and let go with them? If so where from?

I know in theory were allowed bring in as many cigs but I can just imagine landing in Dublin and getting some customs person who thinks they know it all trying take them from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,919 ✭✭✭dodzy

Djdukey wrote: »
    Hey,

Just wondering - Im planning another trip to Romania (!) and im planning on bringing back cigs (even tho I have some from last trip :))

I know the thread has established that we can bring back as many cigs as we want now. But im wondering does that include eastern block countries. I sometimes see that these countries have only a 200 limit, even though there in the EU.(Romania, Latvia, Lithuania, Bulgaria etc).

I read somewhere (forget now) that people on a flight from Riga were ALL passengers were checked and cigs confiscated.

Can anyone clarify this? The revenue dont seem to be too clear and it seems like they are impossible at keeping their pages up to date.

And also, has anyone gone through Dublin Airport with over 3000 cigs and been checked and let go with them? If so where from?

I know in theory were allowed bring in as many cigs but I can just imagine landing in Dublin and getting some customs person who thinks they know it all trying take them from me.

The post by KN immediately before yours sums it up IMO;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Djdukey wrote: »
    Hey,

Restrictions do still apply to the eastern bloc countries but they are due to be phased out. I would imagine you would run into problems bringing a bag load from Romania, but not from established countries like Spain and France etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭sc86

when ur in poland whats to stop u posting some home?

where can i buy online?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Finne1993

blossom180 wrote: »
    thanks dawn,had more than i was allowed from the canarys last week and customs took them,friend going to barcelona in a couple of weeks goin to get me some.

I know you posted a while back but as a matter of interest when you say you took more than you were allowed how many exactly where taken off you? I came back from Tenerife a few week ago and had 4000 with me and was'nt stopped thank god but a mate of mine was, he had 1000, the customs seen them, he told them they were for himself and they let him take them.
    I always find Belfast is easy going, i fly regularly enough out of there and I never see the customs when I'm walking out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Kefuie

I hope people could understand the bad effects of smoking.

Kefuie wrote: »

What, there are bad effects of smoking?

Smoking causes impotence:D:D:D
    Because of that you can't multiply:D

Smoking causes impotence:D:D:D
    Because of that you can't multiply:D

I don't think that's true. I've six children and a hard on right now Kefuie.

I don't think that's true. I've six children and a hard on right now Kefuie.
    I think you are healthy and strong:rolleyes:

I think you are healthy and strong:rolleyes:

I think so too Kefuie. I've felt much stronger since I changed from Marlboro Lights to Marlboro Reds, on the advice of my doctor. Now I feel strong as a cowboy and my sore throats are a thing of the past.

it is a fact that we must listen to the doctor's advice aye. Uhmm,i hope you the best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

at least people are getting them cheaper so they can afford all the medical bills once they hit their fifties

• Registered Users Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭sc86

Finne1993 wrote: »
    I know you posted a while back but as a matter of interest when you say you took more than you were allowed how many exactly where taken off you? I came back from Tenerife a few week ago and had 4000 with me and was'nt stopped thank god but a mate of mine was, he had 1000, the customs seen them, he told them they were for himself and they let him take them.
    I always find Belfast is easy going, i fly regularly enough out of there and I never see the customs when I'm walking out!

how cheap were they in tenerife mate?
    wouldnt mind a sun holiday/cigarette run:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 dannyboy13

hi
    I heard that is not so easy any more to go thrue Dublin airport with bag full of fags so I started asking around and found local supplier :)

Advertisement