Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does ASDA/Tesco/etc take Euro still ?

• 10-11-2009 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭

Just woundering if the Supermarkets up the North still take the Euro on the tills ?

Cheers

Comments

Yes and you get a better rate than in the bank.
    Last time I was there I got 95 pence per euro in boots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

NeVeR wrote: »
    Just woundering if the Supermarkets up the North still take the Euro on the tills ?

Sure do.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

It does indeed was only there few weeks ago and they take it!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I can assure you. any shop in NI that doesnt take euro is either a Orange shop, or absolutely retarded

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

the shops in the big towns around the border and in belfast all take euro, but the more inland you go, the smaller town/shops might not have the facilities to accept euro at the hills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

I can assure you. any shop in NI that doesnt take euro is either a Orange shop, or absolutely retarded

Try McDonalds in Downpatrick ( Beside Asda ) .! I ordered some food for my daughter and myself and not imagining for a moment that they didn't take euro.

Anyway I was 2 pence short and the girl had to ask a supervisor over to see if they could waive the 2pence ! As it isn't a Orage shop I guess it fits into your other category !

Had they had a sign up saying they didn'y take euro I could have gone to a cash machine beforehand !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

dak wrote: »
    Try McDonalds in Downpatrick ( Beside Asda ) .! I ordered some food for my daughter and myself and not imagining for a moment that they didn't take euro.

Anyway I was 2 pence short and the girl had to ask a supervisor over to see if they could waive the 2pence ! As it isn't a Orage shop I guess it fits into your other category !

Had they had a sign up saying they didn'y take euro I could have gone to a cash machine beforehand !

If you don't tender the local currency why would you expect them to take it? I can't recall seeing any shops in Dublin with notices to the effect they won't take Sterling or Dollars or Rupees or Yen or whatever. Would you be surprised if you went into Mc Donald's in Grafton St. and they didn't accept Mexican pesos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭newmills

I can assure you. any shop in NI that doesnt take euro is either a Orange shop, or absolutely retarded[/quote]

Bad choice of wording there...........i don't know of any shops near my home town in tyrone that accept euro - why should they??
    I never tried to hand over pound notes or euros when i was in america.:rolleyes:

bmaxi wrote: »
    If you don't tender the local currency why would you expect them to take it? I can't recall seeing any shops in Dublin with notices to the effect they won't take Sterling or Dollars or Rupees or Yen or whatever. Would you be surprised if you went into Mc Donald's in Grafton St. and they didn't accept Mexican pesos?

There are only 2 official currencies in circulation in Ireland . Those shops up north who accept euro are doing a roaring trade ! I was surprised as I am sure I got fast food in NI before and paid in Euro but maybe that was burger king in the Outlet. I grew up in Cavan and certainly all the shops in Enniskillen etc always took punts. No one would expect shops to accept Rupees or Yen !

newmills wrote: »
    I can assure you. any shop in NI that doesnt take euro is either a Orange shop, or absolutely retarded[/quote]

Bad choice of wording there...........i don't know of any shops near my home town in tyrone that accept euro - why should they??
    I never tried to hand over pound notes or euros when i was in america.:rolleyes:

I would guess that the wording was meant in jest as was my comment about McDonalds in Downpatrick . The point I was making was that economies that exist side by side will soon take the others currency if a glut of shoppers from say the south start shopping there. If southern shoppers aren't rushing to Tyrone then you would not expect them to autommatically accept euros ! I was just surprised as McDonalds is beside ASDA who are accepting euro and my post was more to let others know not to get caught out !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

eeek, the guy was making a fair comment, albeit worded funny, we all know the major shops around the border take the euro which - I suggest - is what was to be read from his post
    I never tried to hand over pound notes or euros when i was in america
    what's that got to do with two bordering countries on a small island in the same community?????
    have you ever traveled to Africa? US dollar is more popular there than any official currency so weak point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

slave1 wrote: »
    eeek, the guy was making a fair comment, albeit worded funny, we all know the major shops around the border take the euro which - I suggest - is what was to be read from his post

what's that got to do with two bordering countries on a small island in the same community?????
    have you ever traveled to Africa? US dollar is more popular there than any official currency so weak point

Hardly a fair comparison. Some local currencies in Africa can depreciate by 20% overnight, that's why they will readily take dollars, the Euro and Sterling are both relatively stable currencies.

Advertisement