Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waiting time for carer's allowance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Linda dub

subkulture wrote: »
    I applied for carers allowance in August 2011, specifically for the care of my mother. The application was returned to me a month later as i has also included details of father without medical report. I am only making one application to care for my mother only but I wanted to show that my more able bodied yet 85 year father was also living with us so that they would see that I have more work on my hands. Once that was clarified, the forms were returned by Sept 30th and I got a text acknowledgment a few days later that they have received forms and are processing it.

I contacted the office last week (around 16th Feb 2012) and was told that they are currently processing June/July 2011 applications at present, but that the application i sent has been forwarded for medical assessment, dated from August 31st 2011. So my estimate, should application be successful, is that i should hear word sometime in April or May...fingers crossed. So 8 months is so far sounding about right. But I am dreading being told 'Its a no', as i am currently on JSA, and i do hear conflicting reports about whether those on JSA can get CA

Its worth noting though that currently a new administrative system is being put in place (including software updates etc) which they claim will make applications more quickly and efficiently processed. Not sure how that is working but applications prior to Sept 2011 will be dealt with the older way, and that backlog has to be cleared first before the new systems comes into play.

Hi my brother in law is currently getting carers alownce for hs mother and was on JA too... He entitled to half rate as well as his JA so you can definitly claim both ... I was told same about new system too hopefully we will hear something soon

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Jasssss

Hi I applied two weeks ago for carers allowance for my child who is in receipt of Domiciliary care allowance.The views of people are quite different on this forum but can anyone tell me should I receive anything back from the Department in the form of an Agknowlegement to say that the Department have received my application.I rang before I sent in the application form and asked what the waiting time at present was and was told 7 months.There is a new system being used in the department and employee's are being trained up on.They reckon that when this new system is up and running fully new applications should be processed much quicker.I suppose only time will tell.

Jasssss wrote: »
    Hi I applied two weeks ago for carers allowance for my child who is in receipt of Domiciliary care allowance.The views of people are quite different on this forum but can anyone tell me should I receive anything back from the Department in the form of an Agknowlegement to say that the Department have received my application.I rang before I sent in the application form and asked what the waiting time at present was and was told 7 months.There is a new system being used in the department and employee's are being trained up on.They reckon that when this new system is up and running fully new applications should be processed much quicker.I suppose only time will tell.

Hi i did not recieve any acknowledgmnt bt i know some people did... My sister was getting domicillary allowance for her daughter and then got the carers sllowance .. She waited roughly seven months so that sounds bout rght... Maybe new system will kick in and you wont have to wait as long ...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Rooneymara

Linda dub wrote: »
    Hi my brother in law is currently getting carers alownce for hs mother and was on JA too... He entitled to half rate as well as his JA so you can definitly claim both ... I was told same about new system too hopefully we will hear something soon

This information is wrong, you can't get half rate Carers Allowance and JA.

To get JA or JB you have to be seeking full time employment, your a job seeker.

One of the conditions of Carers Allowance is that you cannot work more than 15 hours.

Here's a link with more information about half rate Carers Allowance.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/carers/half_rate_carers_allowance.html

Rooneymara wrote: »

This information is wrong, you can't get half rate Carers Allowance and JA.

To get JA or JB you have to be seeking full time employment, your a job seeker.

One of the conditions of Carers Allowance is that you cannot work more than 15 hours.

Here's a link with more information about half rate Carers Allowance.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/carers/half_rate_carers_allowance.html

Apoligies what i meant to say is yes if you are on JA you can become carer... Only allowed one payment so go frm JA to carers allowance.. If qualify...and can only work 15 hours week .... Worded it wrong apoligies again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 th23

Hi I applied in sept 2011 and am
    Now waiting 22 weeks for decision on carers allowance ( half rate) i rang and was told to expect wait up to 30 weeks! My concern is i dont live wth my parents and if was awarded the allowance in april or may would i loose out on the household benefit package which is no longer available to
    New applicants from April 2012 even though my application along with thousands of others has been sitting in the office since last year? I dont tink
    Ive ever heard of any alowance to take as long as carers, to be awarded neverind if have to appeal!!!!!!

can u send in application for household benefits package now???? i was thinking of gettin it in before april and say im waitin on a decision for carers

th23 wrote: »
    Hi I applied in sept 2011 and am
    Now waiting 22 weeks for decision on carers allowance ( half rate) i rang and was told to expect wait up to 30 weeks! My concern is i dont live wth my parents and if was awarded the allowance in april or may would i loose out on the household benefit package which is no longer available to
    New applicants from April 2012 even though my application along with thousands of others has been sitting in the office since last year? I dont tink
    Ive ever heard of any alowance to take as long as carers, to be awarded neverind if have to appeal!!!!!!

can u send in application for household benefits package now???? i was thinking of gettin it in before april and say im waitin on a decision for carers

Im not sure what way it works with HBP .. i was told I probably have no entitlement to it as although my husband on JSA, the carer has to be living alone to claim .... Saying that I know several people who hve it bt not living alone.... Im not sure either if can claim while awaiting decision abiut carers?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭So Annoyed

You don't have to be living alone to get it, only one person in a household can claim it.

(the HBP that is!)

I applied in June for carers allowance. I just found out it was denied. How long does a review take, or am I better off going for an appeal straight away?

So Annoyed wrote: »
    I applied in June for carers allowance. I just found out it was denied. How long does a review take, or am I better off going for an appeal straight away?

My god all that time waiting and only telling you now that you refused! Thats unbeliveable... I dont know what way an appeal or a review goes im sure if you ring citizens advice or the carers section they will tell you.... IWhen an application is turned down do they give reason why?

• Advertisement

I was claiming it for my dh who has parkinsons disease. The letter said he 'doesn't fit the criteria'

It's so frustrating. His doctor was shocked to hear that I was refused. I will of course appeal, but I am just so tired. Life is hard enough I have enough to be worrying about (ie his health, and how much he is deteriorating)

I will appeal and I will get it in the end.

I was claiming it for my dh who has parkinsons disease. The letter said he 'doesn't fit the criteria'

It's so frustrating. His doctor was shocked to hear that I was refused. I will of course appeal, but I am just so tired. Life is hard enough I have enough to be worrying about (ie his health, and how much he is deteriorating)

I believe that they refuse people just to save money, and they hope that we wont appeal, but I will appeal and I will get it in the end.[/Qu

Thats an absolute disgrace... I would not let that go either... What sort of criteria does a person with parkinsons disease need ? Never heard likes of it.. I defnitely wont get it myself either... Both my parents have long term illnesses my dad has lukemia and my mother also has paranoid schizophrenia... They lost my mthers medical report and i had to ask her sgn another consent form.. Not an easy request to smebody suffering that type illness ..... Shes askd me bout 100 times why needs sign it again... As you said life hard enough dealing with that n then get turned down .... Best luck wth appeal

I know of somebody who had to get new medical records last week as they 'lost' hers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I know of somebody who had to get new medical records last week as they 'lost' hers. I think they 'lose' them on purpose.

Thats why you ALWAYS photocopy EVERYTHING that you send off to the SW offices/departments.

It works.:)

paddy147 wrote: »
    I know of somebody who had to get new medical records last week as they 'lost' hers. I think they 'lose' them on purpose.

Thats why you ALWAYS photocopy EVERYTHING that you send off to the SW offices/departments.

It works.:)

Never thought that ! doctor was not impressed with having do another report and my mother either so caused lot of hassle ..... Theyve prob been told to hold out on as many applications till april so can enforce the new cutbacks regardless of when applications went in !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭jamescc

I believe that they refuse people just to save money, and they hope that we wont appeal, but I will appeal and I will get it in the end.

so annoyed:

I was in the same boat appealing in may 2010 being told about 6-8 weeks later that my mother was not sick enough. so I was refused. I wrote a letter and I applied. I got letters (from anyone of importance ie; priest) and kept all the hospital appointments, and list of medications that she is
    on
    I finally went on the appeals office for my oral interview I brought everything that I had with me. I got a letter out a few days later to read that my appeal had been over turned and I was allowed.

I was sorted out in a few weeks later with all the back money

I hope that this helps, don't give up hope

All the best ,,,

James

I definately will appeal. I just cant believe i have to. Ive better things to be spending my time on, and am stressed enough. Ah well, here I go, another 30 weeks of waiting. :(

I definately will appeal. I just cant believe i have to. Ive better things to be spending my time on, and am stressed enough. Ah well, here I go, another 30 weeks of waiting. :(

Good luck with your appeal i probably doing same myself wen they eventually get to my application 

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Jasssss

TKS Linda Dub for that.I was not sure that if you already were getting Domiciliary allowance and did not need the medical part filled out that it would be a bit quicker.But now I know that this is not the case.7 months seems the norm.Has anyone gotten it any quicker then 7 months.

Jasssss wrote: »
    TKS Linda Dub for that.I was not sure that if you already were getting Domiciliary allowance and did not need the medical part filled out that it would be a bit quicker.But now I know that this is not the case.7 months seems the norm.Has anyone gotten it any quicker then 7 months.[/Quote

Maybe the fact a medical does not have to be done might hurry claim up as you were getting domicillary allowance already ... My sister was getting a payment off the welfare officer.im not sure why has to change to carers is it when child turns certain age? Anyhow it was seven months frm when applied so your case could be quicker hopefully ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭aileach

I applied at the end of september 2011 for carers for my dad who has prostate cancer. I didn't ever get a letter of acknowledgement, I phoned before Christmas and was told that my application was received on 30 September and that there was a waiting time of 6 months. I was hoping to hear something soon, but this thread is making me think that I will have to wait longer!

I live next door to my dad, I also applied for my mum, she broke her hip last year and has difficulty standing for more than a few minutes at a time.

I can't look for other work as I am looking after them the whole time but the lack of cash is dreadful.

The waiting time is disgraceful, but I'm trying to keep positive and hoping to hear from them soon.

What's worrying me is that I keep hearing about people (on the radio) who are being turned down - but haven't heard about anyone who has been approved on their initial application - I wonder what their criteria is :(

aileach wrote: »
    I applied at the end of september 2011 for carers for my dad who has prostate cancer. I didn't ever get a letter of acknowledgement, I phoned before Christmas and was told that my application was received on 30 September and that there was a waiting time of 6 months. I was hoping to hear something soon, but this thread is making me think that I will have to wait longer!

I live next door to my dad, I also applied for my mum, she broke her hip last year and has difficulty standing for more than a few minutes at a time.

I can't look for other work as I am looking after them the whole time but the lack of cash is dreadful.

The waiting time is disgraceful, but I'm trying to keep positive and hoping to hear from them soon.

I know its awful waiting so long and not knowing if will even get it is a worry in itself ... Most of us dont hve choice wen comes to caring for members of our families ... We would do it regardless but the money is a huge help and well desrved... Please god you will hear soon... I rang today to double check they recieved the second medical for my mother ( they lost first one) said its now with medical assesors bt staff hve no control over how long it takes frm there... Said doesnt think be months prob weeks.... Hard get much info of them suppose so many depts one half doesnt know what other half do .... Fingers crossed we will hear soon mine is in 26 weeks now.... Think its seven months or 30 weeks last time i asked!

its a joke, cant believe how long the waiting time is, i heard absolutely nothin from them, i rang to see if they got my application and they said yes, thats all, i left mine in a week after you so keep me updated if u hear anythin

does anyone know what month they are dealing with at the moment, i rang 2 weeks ago and they were only processing apps for june

th23 wrote: »
    does anyone know what month they are dealing with at the moment, i rang 2 weeks ago and they were only processing apps for june

I rang bout two weeks ago said dealing with end june begin july... Its a joke very frustrating waiting to hear from them

It's so frustrating all this waiting - I wonder if there are any illnesses that they look more favourably on granting carers for? I heard someone on the radio recently who looks after her husband 24/7, he has had a few strokes and she was refused carers for him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

It's so frustrating all this waiting - I wonder if there are any illnesses that they look more favourably on granting carers for? I heard someone on the radio recently who looks after her husband 24/7, he has had a few strokes and she was refused carers for him!!

Often the reason Carer's is refused as nothing to do with the Illness involved.There can be many other reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 eire_b

i applied for carers allowance for both my folks(my dad has senile dementia, my mum, stroke, shattered vertebrae, chronic arthritis, 20% hearing ect.) in oct. 2011, rang them in dec.2011 and was told 6 months, before they even read my application. fingers crossed that i don't need to appeal(mind you, even with that criteria, and from reading here, it looks bleak) i did find this page helpful when applying, its hard to find on the S.W site, but its the operational guidelines for them's that deal with our applications http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/carers_all.aspx

if you can meet the criteria on that page there should be no reason for an appeal...unless there is more info to this than is available to carers?
    i hope not, my life is hard enough caring for two and keeping my own head above water.

• Advertisement

eire_b wrote: »
    i applied for carers allowance for both my folks(my dad has senile dementia, my mum, stroke, shattered vertebrae, chronic arthritis, 20% hearing ect.) in oct. 2011, rang them in dec.2011 and was told 6 months, before they even read my application. fingers crossed that i don't need to appeal(mind you, even with that criteria, and from reading here, it looks bleak) i did find this page helpful when applying, its hard to find on the S.W site, but its the operational guidelines for them's that deal with our applications http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/carers_all.aspx

if you can meet the criteria on that page there should be no reason for an appeal...unless there is more info to this than is available to carers?
    i hope not, my life is hard enough caring for two and keeping my own head above water.
    Rang carers allownce yet again today 28 weeks and counting.... Forget 30 weeks for a decision now saying at least another 6-8 weeks... What a joke really .p
    off now big time! told 12 weeks then 24 weeks then 30 weeks and now 36-38 weeks ... Government ought be able to do smthing about it bt too busy worrying bout their own mess theyve made

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement