Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Virgin Media Television thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

When is the rugby rights up? Six nations

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AJB39

icdg wrote: »
    OK, what it seems happened is that last nights show on BBC should have been a clip show, but instead they decided to air the episode that would have aired last week, and did get a late night airing on Monday. Clip show next week.

You’re almost right. The episode of the Graham Norton Show that aired on BBC 1 last night was originally scheduled to air on the previous Friday night and then be repeated last Monday night. However it didn’t air on either night because of Prince Philip’s death. Last night was the first time the BBC showed it. However the episode was released for other stations around the world to show it earlier in the week as though it had not been postponed meaning Virgin Media were able to show it before the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

That was vm's last season of rights no news yet as to broadcasters, but rights sold to some sports groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Delta2113

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I think the Irish rights will get announced on the same day or near to the new UK rights announcement which is coming soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Delta2113 wrote: »

It remains in their schedule anyway. I feel if it was Bradley Walsh, then it would have been different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭roadmaster

On Sunday joe molloy got very defensive on the Sunday paper review on OTB when one of his guests said virgin had had Lost the six nations, Joe kept saying no nothing has being agreed yet, I say he was just worried about his side gig

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

There was a first Irish produced NFL show since 1990 on Virgin Media Sport tonight, where some analysts discussed the NFL draft. Interesting to see if this goes any further.

https://www.irishnflshow.com/post/irish-nfl-show-announces-2021-draft-coverage

As I have mentioned elsewhere Virgin Media Sport will continue for the forseable future despite loosing Champions League.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Showing what exactly? Eight Heineken Cup games over and over again and maybe Formula E? They’ve been showing all their European football FTA since the news that they’ve lost the rights has become known. Maybe they’ll stick around for the last year of the international football contract

By the looks of it this Irish NFL Show seems to be some sort of independently produced podcast. Best of luck to them getting a slot on VMTV to discuss the draft but they are not going to be the centrepiece of a premium sport channel. Presumably they can’t show any actual footage from the league?

• Advertisement

Recently had LIVE running and also have Martial Arts. They will keep going even if full off repeats. Doubt they have any contract with the NFL lined up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

They did previously fwiw. Highlight package and showed the super bowl a couple of years

Edit: it was probably the Tv3 days

• Registered Users Posts: 27,841 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Dodge wrote: »
    They did previously fwiw. Highlight package and showed the super bowl a couple of years

They could probably pick up similar rights package to BBC have for highlights, superbowl and maybe Europe based live games, but not sure how much demand there would be given the BBS show.

There used to be a 1 hour slot on Monday nights on setanta I think, where the weekend's big game would be edited to cut out any downtime. I liked that but rights for those could be trickier (Sky do that now on VM package channel Sky Sports Mix sometime).

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

odyssey06 wrote: »
    They could probably pick up similar rights package to BBC have for highlights, superbowl and maybe Europe based live games, but not sure how much demand there would be given the BBS show.

There used to be a 1 hour slot on Monday nights on setanta I think, where the weekend's big game would be edited to cut out any downtime. I liked that but rights for those could be trickier (Sky do that now on VM package channel Sky Sports Mix sometime).

They should be looking for what Channel 5 show in the UK. Live Monday Night Football.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

There’s not much demand for highlights though. Any NFL fans are well served by official highlights on YouTube etc.

Sky Sports Mix has shown the RedZone channel for the past few years too

The issue for them with MNF is that as a subscription driver, it won’t do anything, because the type of people that watch MNF (NFL fans) are likely to have Sky Sports or GamePass already, and if they are doing it for the FTA channels, well it’s at 1:30am on a Monday night and let’s face it there aren’t many watching tv at that stage, so it’s hardly going to pull in advertising.

There isn’t a problem relating to watching the NFL that VMTV need to solve. If you are a Saorview only household you probably aren’t a gridiron fan. That’s not a generalisation, just a reflection of the fact that, some Super Bowls a while back aside, the sport hasn’t been on an Irish owned FTA channel since the 1990s. (And the Super Bowl is an exception, an “event”, and even Americans who don’t like American football - they do exist - watch it).

Bet Virgin Media Television are glad they didn't have Viewpoint on this week. Probably would also have been forced to pull the Finale.
    They already set a precedent for themselves with a certain Comedian.

Bet Virgin Media Television are glad they didn't have Viewpoint on this week. Probably would also have been forced to pull the Finale.
    They already set a precedent for themselves with a certain Comedian.

Tiger Aspects are possibly the distributer, RTÉ bought bloodlands from them recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Dindane

Recently had LIVE running and also have Martial Arts. They will keep going even if full off repeats. Doubt they have any contract with the NFL lined up.

What running did they show?

Dindane wrote: »

TG4 aired US College Athletics last weekend and RTÉ had European Athletics. Not sure about Virgin Media Sport.

• Advertisement

Dindane wrote: »

The Mourne Mountain Trail Race I think it was.

The Mourne Mountain Trail Race I think it was.

Ah yeah, I think that was largely from organizers rather then Virgin Media, was it from this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Defo think VMTV should commission a full series of "Fanning at Whelans", I think it's a brilliant idea. The pilots in December were good.

Elmo wrote: »
    Ah yeah, I think that was largely from organizers rather then Virgin Media, was it from this year?

- Yes.

VMTV and RTE to share Six Nations inc Women’s and U20s from next season.

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2021/05/10/six-nations-enters-talks-with-rte-and-virgin-media/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2021/05/10/six-nations-enters-talks-with-rte-and-virgin-media/

It is not clear if each broadcaster can show all games or if they will divide games between them on an exclusive basis.
    I would hate to be stuck trying to watch VM (on Saorview) in very poor quality, for some games.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

6Nations in blurry-vision on Virgin Saorview. Great.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It is not clear if each broadcaster can show all games or if they will divide games between them on an exclusive basis.

They will surely be split between them similar to how ITV and the BBC do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

lertsnim wrote: »
    They will surely be split between them similar to how ITV and the BBC do it.

My reading is that it will be this. So I guess 2:1 split each week, the question is whether one will be exclusive for Irish games or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

If Virgin Media show the games from the other 6 Nations tournaments; will they place them on VM1 like what they did with the Mens games?

Advertisement