Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Zgemma H7s out of the box

• 25-01-2021 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Can I ask is the H7S useable out of the box or do I need to do stuff to it to get it working ( other than loading channels ).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,251 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Can I ask is the H7S useable out of the box or do I need to do stuff to it to get it working ( other than loading channels ).

Yes, just plug in the cables and follow the setup on screen and it'll work. But installing a couple of extensions/add-ons (autobouquetsmaker, crossepg, autotimers) will make your life so much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,408 ✭✭✭swoofer

It depends where you order it from, so on here people use world of sat and they give the option to load an image. Opt for openvix and then while waiting read this thread.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057971250

And then if you have questions post them in that thread.

The H7S is a multiboot box so you can in effect have 4 images but that's for later.

Just to go confirm, in case a long thread can intimidate you (it did for me), when I got a second h7s for a buddy I set up as follows:
    1. Boot box and follow steps of setup wizard
    2. Install autobouquetsmaker
    3. Install crossepg
    4. Install autotimers
    5. Set up autobouquetsmaker - I picked Sky UK London SD and switched HD channels - this gives me 101 as BBC1, 104 as Channel 4 HD and 111 as Dave, which is what I was most familiar with after using Sky). I picked Saorview and selected the correct mast and allowed to run.
    6. Set up crossepg to run nightly
    7. Fin.

Feel free to shout questions if/when you get box.

Note - my box is using Pure2, but I set my buddy's up with OpenVix, they're all largely the same but some menu items might be in different place.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 willsandbills

SPoke to WOS and they have delivery issues at the moment so Ill go with amazon.de or ebay germany, unless any other suggestions in EU ??

Also is there a sticky here on the forum re installing the items mentioned above.??

Really grateful for all the replies so far.

W

None in amazon germany, one in Italy

Is this what I think it is , i.e. two satelite tuners and one for Saorview ?,see next line

2 Satelliten-TV-Tuner (dvb-s2x) + 1 digitales terrestrisches T2 / C Zgemma H7S

w

• Advertisement

None in amazon germany, one in Italy

Is this what I think it is , i.e. two satelite tuners and one for Saorview ?,see next line

2 Satelliten-TV-Tuner (dvb-s2x) + 1 digitales terrestrisches T2 / C Zgemma H7S

w

Yes, H7S is what you need. There is also a version called the H7C, but that is only 1 satellite tuner and 2 cable tuners, so that'll be no good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

SPoke to WOS and they have delivery issues at the moment ...

W

Thanks to Brexit, a lot of companies dont want the hassle at the moment. You could always setup an AnPost addressPal UK account.

Setting up the box will depend on which software it comes with. Generally there is a wizard that runs when you first power it up to "talk" you through the basics. Once up and running you will find a menu for "plugins". Basically this is the enigma name for apps. In there you can search for and install extra plugin apps as listed above.
    Don't be put off by all the new lingo. With a bit of time and effort you will find they are amazingly powerful and useful boxes. In fact they can become highly addictive for anyone with a nerdy inclination ;)

copy that dulpit and gerry wicklow

w

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭padmcv

SPoke to WOS and they have delivery issues at the moment

If you don't mind me asking, did they said it is just slow or are they not shipping at all?

They said that the couriers seem to have a problem getting items from their irish warehouses to the customer. They expect to have it resolved in a couple of days. Still shipping but on pause for a day or two till sorted is what they said.
    I wonder is it all about the irish couriers having systems in place to charge irish vat and duty if applicable ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭padmcv

Thanks. Yeah, that sounds like the most likely issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I would still use WOS as its handy for us and Amazon de might be dearer in posting costs, prime is handy with runaway spending and free postage on many things.

Couriers and post offices inundated by the mad public with online buying and just taking time for back log to clear.
    Make sure if ordering mobile number and Eircode are included then they cant say they cant find you.

Consider if you want an internal hdd fitted if wanting to record?

Do you have a sky q package with sub as they use a different lnb and might need a swap.

greasepalm wrote: »
    I would still use WOS as its handy for us and Amazon de might be dearer in posting costs, prime is handy with runaway spending and free postage on many things.

Couriers and post offices inundated by the mad public with online buying and just taking time for back log to clear.
    Make sure if ordering mobile number and Eircode are included then they cant say they cant find you....

Amazon.de is cheaper for some electronics but they seem to have a minimum €17 shipping fee. So swings and roundabouts for small items.

I've had some bad experiences with Irish couriers in the last few weeks. One had a UK parcel on hold from November because "they had a problem with my address" They sent me a postcard last week to inform me!!! :eek:
    Another tried to charge me import duty for a parcel they had already returned to the UK seller.

No surprise as they cant read whats on label and your mobile was not working to inform you.

You can buy it here but may not come with a loaded image.

https://www.satworld.ie/zgemma-star-s.html

I would still read that thread with the guide.

I Have no satellite from anyone , so starting as new.

I would like to go with WOS as they seems very helpful but worried if items end up in a warehouse for weeks. Still might go with them anyway for after sales service etc.

w

Thanks swoofer, just spotted your post, thats even handier

w

WHen ordering from WOS they offer some pre installed options. Not sure whats what yet, so wondering could someone suggest what makes sense for me to ask them to add in ??
    OpenVix latest
    Open PLI nightly build
    Open ATV nightly build
    PurE2 latest

They all cost about a euro so wont break the bank.

If anyone has a quick explanation of what they do that would be seriously appreciated.

willie

I think most of us here use openVix. They are different versions of the operating system on the box known as 'images'. Think of it like windows 7, 8 or 10. Essentially they all do the same job but with subtle differences under the skin and cosmetically. The H7S has the ability to have multiple images installed so you could switch between them and see what you prefer. It's fairly easy to install a different image at a later stage.

Yes openvix all the way.

• Advertisement

Pure2 is what I use, mainly because I think it looks better out of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭mr_cochise

Hi folks,
    I have been lurking around these threads for a while. 12 months ago, I signed up for Sky tv on a whim when I got their fibre broadband and put my faithful Amiko Alien 2 in to the attic.
    Anyway, Sky is now cancelled and I'm going back to a linux based receiver.
    I was worried about ordering from WOS due to Brexit and all that, but today I have ordered a Zgemma H7S. Let's see how it goes in terms of delivery lead time and revenue charges.

So far, after about 1.5hrs, I have received notification from FedEx that they have the parcel and estimated delivery is 6pm on Friday.

Cochise

mr_cochise wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    I have been lurking around these threads for a while. 12 months ago, I signed up for Sky tv on a whim when I got their fibre broadband and put my faithful Amiko Alien 2 in to the attic.
    Anyway, Sky is now cancelled and I'm going back to a linux based receiver.
    I was worried about ordering from WOS due to Brexit and all that, but today I have ordered a Zgemma H7S. Let's see how it goes in terms of delivery lead time and revenue charges.

So far, after about 1.5hrs, I have received notification from FedEx that they have the parcel and estimated delivery is 6pm on Friday.

Cochise
    If no longer using sky q lnb would need to be changed if its their one.

greasepalm wrote: »
    If no longer using sky q lnb would need to be changed if its their one.

I have a hybrid on it, but I'm going to change that.
    About to order a new lnb from Freetv.ie.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Hybrid is fine. save your money.

We would all like to know if you end up paying VAT at both ends plus 10% customs.

But might depend on what is in use in the house and the room needed for ordinary feeds?

Could be changed and sold on possibly?

swoofer wrote: »
    Hybrid is fine. save your money.

We would all like to know if you end up paying VAT at both ends plus 10% customs.

There are only 2 connections for fta/freesat on the lnb which I am already using for other rooms, so that is why I am changing that.

I'll definitely keep ye updated on VAT and customs. I couldn't find any real practical clarity on it so I've dived in. I haven't been to a barbers in about 12 months now, so the money I have saved from that will pretty much fund most of this. 🙂

MarkR wrote: »

Thanks MarkR,

I have gone for the option of vix preinstalled and also internal hard drive.

• Advertisement

Does the wideband port revert to normal on the hybrids depending on what tuner is plugged into it?

Advertisement