Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro14 Season 2019-2020

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

https://www.ultimaterugby.com/news/the-southern-kings-opt-not-to-hire-a-new-head-coach/617955
    The Greatest Rugby Company in the Whole Wide World (Pty) Ltd (GRC) has accepted a recommendation to not hire a new head coach for the Southern Kings.

The PRO14 side have been searching for a new head coach since they parted ways with former coach Deon Davids.

In a short statement on the team's website, the owners stated that the process was undermined around the confusion of the World Rugby Level 3 certification while also saying that the persistent media leaks further undermined the process.

It also confirmed that Director of Rugby, Robbi Kempson will act as the side's head coach in the interim until the position is filled.

not good if they go into the new season with an interim coach

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

sydthebeat wrote: »
    https://www.ultimaterugby.com/news/the-southern-kings-opt-not-to-hire-a-new-head-coach/617955

not good if they go into the new season with an interim coach

I thought that was a satire piece. But it's actually a real company name.

Sounds like a complete disaster of an organisation to be honest, and I'm not really clear on their logic for calling off the hunt for a head coach altogether, by stating "confusion over the Level 3 coaching cert and media speculation undermining the process".

It's also been reported that their player budget is less than £700k for the year, in comparison to the Cheetahs who have around 3 times that allocated. Without investment they're not going to move from the bottom of the table any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I thought the Kings had some new consortium owners with a good bit of cash backing them?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,742 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I'm assuming they want de Villiers and are waiting until his coaching certs are sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'm assuming they want de Villiers and are waiting until his coaching certs are sorted.

Apparently he has them already, was just the media throwing that story line out there. Got his level 3 from Wales which world rugby sees as the equivalent.

• Advertisement

So... International coach doesn't have minium professional standard coaching cert ticket....

.... Non story cos everyone knew, non tory

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

sydthebeat wrote: »
    So... International coach doesn't have minium professional standard coaching cert ticket....

.... Non story cos everyone knew, non tory

:pac:

Damn I was so drunk last night

Was it not the SARU that disputed his certificates? Either way I'd imagine once that's all cleared up he'll be announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,975 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Advertisement

There have to be a few DHL jokes as a result of that utter monstrosity.

i just got sick in my mouth there......

leinsters addidas work is De Vinci compared to that

• If you ever went to bed sick and had one of those delirious fever dreams about rugby, this is the jersey they would be wearing.

Is that an ad for Swansea Uni on a Scarlets jersey? (on the left shoulder from our perspective).

Imagine UCD putting an ad on the Munster shirt :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Is that an ad for Swansea Uni on a Scarlets jersey? (on the left shoulder from our perspective).

Imagine UCD putting an ad on the Munster shirt :pac:

Well unlike Llanelli, Munster has two universities of its own which are more than 11 miles away from UCD. It's the local university for the area.

11 Welsh miles. Which as we all know is approximately 200km.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,598 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

There have to be a few DHL jokes as a result of that utter monstrosity.

Scarlets not delivering the good there. Horrendous

• Registered Users Posts: 10,975 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

It seems a lot of these ACL injuries happen just after pre season. We see the same in the GAA.
    Are they overdoing it in preseason - too many drills, stopping and turning quickly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It seems a lot of these ACL injuries happen just after pre season. We see the same in the GAA.
    Are they overdoing it in preseason - too many drills, stopping and turning quickly.

Don't think an ACL is something you build up to doing. You either do something bad enough to rupture it or you don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Don't think an ACL is something you build up to doing. You either do something bad enough to rupture it or you don't.

I don't know. The vast majority of ACL injuries are guys going down upon very little contact or movement. Look at Anscombe, he just kicked a ball. Now perhaps it happened in an earlier move.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I don't know. The vast majority of ACL injuries are guys going down upon very little contact or movement. Look at Anscombe, he just kicked a ball. Now perhaps it happened in an earlier move.

I didn't see the game but heard he tried to play on for 10 minutes or so. Maybe you saw him going down for the second time?

Yeah, but generally its cause they get their foot caught and essentially twist their knee so much they tear it. As far as I'm aware its not something that is ever really caused by wear and tear, its from a "catastrophic" event (or whatever the correct terminology is - a one off event basically)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭jacothelad

The most common causes are as a result of sudden and 'violently' changing direction, pivoting with your foot firmly planted, landing awkwardly from a jump, stopping suddenly, getting a direct blow to the knee or a collision, such as a no arms, knee level tackle.

There are a number of factors that increase your risk of an ACL injury, including:
    • Being female — possibly due to differences in anatomy, muscle strength and hormonal influences
    • Participating in certain sports, such as rugby, soccer, basketball, gymnastics and downhill skiing
    • Poor conditioning
    • Wearing footwear that doesn't fit properly
    • Playing on artificial turf surfaces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Cardiff to host the final in 2020. Never been but heard it can be tough to get accommodation in the City

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Synode wrote: »
    Cardiff to host the final in 2020. Never been but heard it can be tough to get accommodation in the City

Small ground at 33k so hopefully it won't be as bad as the nightmare I read about games at the MS.

It's an absolute nightmare for accommodation but given the lower level of interest for the Pro14 and smaller stadium should make it manageable. I would still expect to be a fair bit outside the city centre unless you get on it sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,248 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Cardiff is so inaccessible, it’s bad enough for a Wales game but for a neutral game like a final where every fan is an away fan it’s a nightmare for accommodation or even getting the train out.
    That said it’s a good city if your sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,161 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I booked a room for two nights in the city centre for £90 back in July and the final had already been announced then so hopefully there's less gauging than usual this time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I booked a room for two nights in the city centre for £90 back in July and the final had already been announced then so hopefully there's less gauging than usual this time.

That's what I thought. What's with the announcement today?

Advertisement