Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HDMI Cable

• 03-02-2011 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

Lidl have these back in, gold plated contacts, 2 metres long, €7.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭mcw92

They also have Optical Audio Cables for a similar price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

discount stores sell hdmi gold plated 2m for 2 euro. got 2 today, work perfectly...

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

Where was that? The ones around Talbot street are all around €7 I thought?
    discount stores sell hdmi gold plated 2m for 2 euro. got 2 today, work perfectly...

Where was that? The ones around Talbot street are all around €7 I thought?

got one in galway today, well, 2 of them, at 2 euro each. Heard about it on boards actually, it was mentioned that most discount/euro2 stores carry them. hdmi is digital, so it either works or doesn't, these work fine, so they're as good as any!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

hdmi is digital, so it either works or doesn't,

HDMI is an interface specification - nothing to "work". :p
    As for the €2 HDMI Cables, its still the gold plating that makes all the difference.
    (The gold makes the electrons feel appreciated, so they go to the correct pins on the interface, and don't get lost.:D)

• Advertisement

NewHillel wrote: »
    HDMI is an interface specification - nothing to "work". :p
    As for the €2 HDMI Cables, its still the gold plating that makes all the difference.
    (The gold makes the electrons feel appreciated, so they go to the correct pins on the interface, and don't get lost.:D)

well what i meant was that it's a case of, you get a picture, or you don't, not like analog, where quality is an issue as well, so whatever about other cables, with hdmi, and assuming normal household use where interferance isn't an issue, once it actually works as in, you get a picture, it's pretty much the same as any other 2 or 100 euro cable! well, apart from going into gold/silver/tarnish etc, but i'd rather take my chances with the 2 euro one somehow...

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

well what i meant was that it's a case of, you get a picture, or you don't, not like analog, where quality is an issue as well, so whatever about other cables, with hdmi, and assuming normal household use where interferance isn't an issue, once it actually works as in, you get a picture, it's pretty much the same as any other 2 or 100 euro cable! well, apart from going into gold/silver/tarnish etc, but i'd rather take my chances with the 2 euro one somehow...

I agree with you, it was meant as a joke... :o

In all but a handful of cases the cheapest HDMI cable you can lay your hands on is just fine. In most cases the interference issue is just a red herring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

I got a cheap 5m HDMI cable found here from Sendit a few months back. It does have some funny quirks where the video goes from laptop to TV but the sound keep playing from the laptop and I have to pull it out and in a couple of times to get the sound through the TV

So there is some quality element to HDMI cables

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

groom wrote: »
    I got a cheap 5m HDMI cable found here from Sendit a few months back. It does have some funny quirks where the video goes from laptop to TV but the sound keep playing from the laptop and I have to pull it out and in a couple of times to get the sound through the TV

That's more than likely a setting issue with your laptop. Go into the sound options and make sure the HDMI one is set as default.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭greened

groom wrote: »

a bit of topic but I find that if you start to say play a film or a live internet stream and then connect laptop to the tv via HDMI the sound will come from the laptop. Connect the lead to the TV first and then start the application and the sound will come from the TV. Works for me anyway:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement