Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

Guys, is 35% off the max they anyone has gotten these days?
    I cancelled and see an offer of 35% off on my account - wondering should I just go for it or hold on and see.

Also, I am on the old Variety Package (no longer exists apparently) - does anyone know what the difference between the Variety and Entertainment + kids package is?? .. Do you lost the documentaries or is that attomatic on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Only wrote: »
    Guys, is 35% off the max they anyone has gotten these days?
    I cancelled and see an offer of 35% off on my account - wondering should I just go for it or hold on and see.

Also, I am on the old Variety Package (no longer exists apparently) - does anyone know what the difference between the Variety and Entertainment + kids package is?? .. Do you lost the documentaries or is that attomatic on it?

It looks like that's all anyone gets now. At one time I had 35% off the main package, half price movies, half price HD and the extremely rare half price multi room. I'm strongly considering letting my contract expire and just pulling the pin on the whole shebang.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

quick question re sports extra pack

currently there is an offer of all sports channels for €30 pm for six months. Do i have to keep the offer for the six months or can i give my 30 days notice after say 4 months?

Its really to do with watching the champions cup rugby from next weekend on BT - with fixture in nov, dec and jan i want to cancel in jan and then get it in again for april/may- is this possible if you are on a six months offer? Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 15 telmah

I have the Entertainment ,multi-room,hd and Sports Packs.
    I'm just out of contract and will be ringing soon to remove the Sports Pack and try to get a reduction on the remaining setup.Can anyone tell me if i remove the HD pack will i lose all HD channels or would i still have even RTE1 and 2 in HD?Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭paska

Why are people still paying for SKY? Realy and truly.

Get a free sat box, Netflix or amazon prime or later in 2020 disney+ .

It's like shopping in Aldi Or Lidl! you will buy it but do you really need it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

kooga wrote: »

currently there is an offer of all sports channels for €30 pm for six months. Do i have to keep the offer for the six months or can i give my 30 days notice after say 4 months?

Its really to do with watching the champions cup rugby from next weekend on BT - with fixture in nov, dec and jan i want to cancel in jan and then get it in again for april/may- is this possible if you are on a six months offer? Thanks in advance

Only a 30 day contract on Sports, so cancel anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

kooga wrote: »

You're never tied into anything more than 30 days with sports. If you cancel before the 6 months, that's fine...

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭The Orb

paska wrote: »
    Why are people still paying for SKY? Realy and truly.

Get a free sat box, Netflix or amazon prime or later in 2020 disney+ .

It's like shopping in Aldi Or Lidl! you will buy it but do you really need it?

I have Sky, I like a lot of the subscription channels and I want the sport, I have the movies but could do without. Granted some of the subscription channels are dross. I also have Freesat and it is fine but fairly limited and in my opinion it can't be compared to Sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

telmah wrote: »
    I have the Entertainment ,multi-room,hd and Sports Packs.
    I'm just out of contract and will be ringing soon to remove the Sports Pack and try to get a reduction on the remaining setup.Can anyone tell me if i remove the HD pack will i lose all HD channels or would i still have even RTE1 and 2 in HD?Thanks.

RTE1 and RTE2 are both still available as HD on 101 and 102. They're available as SD somewhere in the 800s for recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭ando

I attempted to cancel my Sky today, price was going from €50 to €95 a month for TV and Broadband as I had reached the end of my 12 month offer. Told them I was going to get cheaper BB elsewhere and freesat. Was passed onto the cancellation team and immediately offered the 'win back offer', 35% off! I knew it was the best I could get going by this thread so decided to go for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

ando wrote: »
    I attempted to cancel my Sky today, price was going from €50 to €95 a month for TV and Broadband as I had reached the end of my 12 month offer. Told them I was going to get cheaper BB elsewhere and freesat. Was passed onto the cancellation team and immediately offered the 'win back offer', 35% off! I knew it was the best I could get going by this thread so decided to go for it

Did you get 12 months again? about to cancel soon

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Am off contract with Sky +. Would like to get SkyQ but wondering if anyone has got a discount and an upgrade to SkyQ at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Am off contract with Sky +. Would like to get SkyQ but wondering if anyone has got a discount and an upgrade to SkyQ at the same time?

I rang to Cancel my €96 a month account. Dropped the hint that was interested in Sky Q. After getting some 50% off deals for 6 months I ended up at €86 for a 2GB Sky Q box + the Mini Box as well. Had to pay €25 installation fee there and then by Debit Card.

I have to set a reminder every 6 months to ring them to haggle the 6 months discount thing again to keep at the €86. (I have Sports, Movies and HD)

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭DermoMIO

On the old variety package with sports, was on 40% this year & rang to go through the dance with them, offered this years full price instead of the €3 increase for 12 months so €79 which I laughed at then two more offers of €77 & €73.80 refused them.

Was told I won’t get the 35% offer & no cancellations department anymore ! I just signed into my account & low & behold a €35% offer waiting for me lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭ando

Did you get 12 months again? about to cancel soon

Yep, 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Sorry for a stupid question, but at what point should one expect to be contacted by Sky with a better offer?

I asked several times lately for a better price, none was forthcoming so I said to go ahead with the cancellation, he did just that and I got an email confirming the end of my service in 31 days... is it too late now? Is it before or after that point that they offer you a discount to stay with them?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭pj12332

All you need to know here.

Best offers are once the service is cut off. If you try to cancel they might offer you 20 euro off or something. If you say no they might offer you 35% off the base package. If you say no and it’s actually set to cancel you will have a 35% offer in your app or if you ring up. If you actually let it get cut off and call and hour after it’s gone you will get a Returning customer offer usually 40% off base package. Returning customer offer is from when it’s actually cut off up to 1 year after it’s cut off. I’ve literally rang an hour after it was cut off and got it.

While setting it to Cancel I was offered 35% as stated above. I was specifically told there are no more winback or returning customer offers. That’s what they refer to them as. I laughed at her and said ok set it to cancel.

Rang up an hour after after it was cut off and lord behold 40% off.

They are vermin. If I wasn’t in a house share I wouldn’t bother. I get 40% off and then get to split the remainder of the bill in half so I tolerate them.

I got rid of the movies too as I can stream everything they offer and much more for free. Not worth paying for them anymore. The older sky box I have can only play movies in 1080i while the free streams are actually in 4K and turnout much clearer than the sky box haha.

They will be in serious trouble in a few years when more and more people start voting with their feet.

‘Moral of the story. Hold off let it get cut off. You will get at least what you were offered when it was set to cancel and in my case I have always gotten more as a winback or returning customer.

They will lie through their teeth to you to scare you into taking less of an offer. F*ck them!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭ben36

Sorry if this has been asked before but my contract is usually up at the start of December and the last few years i've rang in November and got the usual 35% discount on my sky package on my account a couple of weeks before the 30 days cancellation period ends but this year in August i added the sky extra(bt sports and premier sports)to my account.Is my whole sky package now contracted till next August?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭pj12332

ben36 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked before but my contract is usually up at the start of December and the last few years i've rang in November and got the usual 35% discount on my sky package on my account a couple of weeks before the 30 days cancellation period ends but this year in August i added the sky extra(bt sports and premier sports)to my account.Is my whole sky package now contracted till next August?

Nope your contact ends when it ends. Them channels are only extras. They do not create a new 12 month contract. Once within 31 days of it ending call them and say cancel the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Milky1

I'm without Sky about 4 weeks (and not missing it). Got a 'win back' and was offered 40% off Entertainment Pack. The Entertainment pack is now (or going to be) €37 (€22 with discount applied)! Plus €8 for HD plus another €8 if you want the kids channels. It's crazy how they keep increasing their prices. It used to be €32 for entertainment INCLUDING kids channels plus €5 for HD
    I was going through the numbers with the guy, giving him hassle and he hung up on me! Very happy with that!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Schummi

ben36 wrote: »
    pj12332 wrote: »
    Nope your contact ends when it ends. Them channels are only extras. They do not create a new 12 month contract. Once within 31 days of it ending call them and say cancel the lot.

If you took the €20 for 6 months offer, then you were put on a 12 month contract, so yes, you'd be contracted until next August.

If you took the €34 per month option, then you didn't enter a new contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Stewball

Schummi wrote: »
    If you took the €20 for 6 months offer, then you were put on a 12 month contract, so yes, you'd be contracted until next August.

AFAIK the 12 month contract is only for the entertainment package. The sports offer can be cancelled at any time.

Stewball wrote: »
    AFAIK the 12 month contract is only for the entertainment package. The sports offer can be cancelled at any time.

Yes, that’s correct (with the usual 31 days notice).

Although you wouldn’t be able to request a complete cancellation (and receive subsequent discount offer) until the 12 month period was up.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Iamhere

When you cancel, what page of the sky website gives you return offers?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Iamhere wrote: »
    When you cancel, what page of the sky website gives you return offers?

There's a tab for offers. If you're a current customer it usually has offers on sports or cinema...

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

When you eventually get 35/40% off will it be off the Sports and Movies as well as the basic package? I know you don't get it off multi-room and HD.
    Thanks

When you eventually get 35/40% off will it be off the Sports and Movies as well as the basic package? I know you don't get it off multi-room and HD.
    Thanks

You'll get the discount on what ever your base package is, plus movies & sports if you have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,614 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

pj12332 wrote: »

You sure about that?
    I got the extra sports channels when eir lost BT and I thought it said I was into a new 12 month contract from that date.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Went to cancel my telly earlier and got from 81 down to 69. I said I have to think about it so I’ll push a bit more tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I'm out of contract few weeks and I gave them one months notice to close.

I received texts offering 35% off but to enter a new 12 month contract.

I'd rather not commit to another 12 month contract.

Advertisement