Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finn Harps Thread

• 11-01-2010 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Thought this forum should have one :)

With the strategic review completed and in place, some very promising young players on the books and the new stadium on the way there should be good times ahead for Harps.

But with plenty of debt on the books and a now debt-free Derry City in the same division and with money to spend many challenges remain.

What sayest thou men (and women)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Here Here;)

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

Good shout A. Looking forward to the new season. UTH.

Join the group folks ! Heading for one million -
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=244304709451&ref=mf

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Yeah, 400 members in less than 48 hours, not bad going at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Used to be a huge fan as you can guess from the username but Ive become disallusioned with things over the past couple of years, initally with the pathetic way the club was run but now things are finally looking up Im still finding it hard to get back into it with the FAI seemingly getting worse every year. Derry being allowed back into the league with a clean slate would be laughable if it didnt effect us and theres plenty more examples.

Still going to follow the club and hope they do well obviously but unless theres some serious change with the FAI I dont see how the club (or any club for that matter) can ever achieve anything more than winning the league and going bust a couple of seasons later

• Registered Users Posts: 45,800 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Lets make this thread (and Boards.ie) THE place to be for all Harps fans :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 UpDonegal

C'mon the Harps! :D

Looking forward to the new season in March :)

:D:):D

The first division could be the place to be this season if a few teams get horsed out of the premier (and this looks quite likely).

Throw in the random inclusion of the 'new' Derry City and it could be the real LOI this year, as opposed to a Dublin and District league. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Hope they do well I try to get up as often as I can

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Mr_A wrote: »
    Thought this forum should have one :)

With the strategic review completed and in place, some very promising young players on the books and the new stadium on the way there should be good times ahead for Harps.

But with plenty of debt on the books and a now debt-free Derry City in the same division and with money to spend many challenges remain.

What sayest thou men (and women)?

already thought there was a thread or two on this

:confused:

how is the stadium going, has there been any further progress, last i heard work stopped due to lack of funds

The stadium never started despite all the publicity, press releases, etc. Al that has happened is the contractor has deposited filling he removed from another job and spread it over a bit of a field that will form part of the roadway into the stadium.

Thats it!

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    The stadium never started despite all the publicity, press releases, etc. Al that has happened is the contractor has deposited filling he removed from another job and spread it over a bit of a field that will form part of the roadway into the stadium.

Thats it!

so nothing really since the offical sod turning then

:rolleyes:

am glad to see some NW football though with derry back in action

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Up the Candystripes!!! ;)

Up the Candystripes!!! ;)

up the bit o red

sorry harps

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Duster

Rumor has it that McHugh is on his way back to Harps

Duster wrote: »

Linfield official site seems to indicate this could be on the cards: http://www.linfieldfc.com/latestnews.asp?nid=5035

On the stadium front, it's not true to say there has been no progress. There have been various legal and procedural hurdles cleared with regards to getting the government funding in place. It certainly has been frustratingly slow, but the delays haven't come from the Harps end.

Funding from the club side has never really come into it to my knowledge anyway.

On the stadium front, it's not true to say there has been no progress. There have been various legal and procedural hurdles cleared with regards to getting the government funding in place. It certainly has been frustratingly slow, but the delays haven't come from the Harps end.

Funding from the club side has never really come into it to my knowledge anyway.
    Sorry, but I cant agree. The sod cutting ceremony was 18 - 20 months ago and attended by both government and FAI officials and from the speeches made on the day it was an "all systems go" message. Most of the legal stuff had already been covered prior to this.

It seems the club are unwilling to discuss this matter though. I have asked several people who are closely attached to or involved with the club about the stadium development and I get replies ranging from "everything is in hand" to "I dont really know"

Sorry, but I cant agree. The sod cutting ceremony was 18 - 20 months ago and attended by both government and FAI officials and from the speeches made on the day it was an "all systems go" message. Most of the legal stuff had already been covered prior to this.

It seems the club are unwilling to discuss this matter though. I have asked several people who are closely attached to or involved with the club about the stadium development and I get replies ranging from "everything is in hand" to "I dont really know"

There certainly have been extra legal issues to deal with regarding the Department of Sport. Much of this seems to me to have been simply the department attempting to hold back or stall the release of funds. These have been sorted though. The ground development committee made a report at one of the general meetings late last year (the EGM I think) and the message was that things should start to really move in the first part of this year.

I don't blame anyone for being sceptical at this stage given the glacial rate of progress to date and the fact that there's certain people who've spread lies about the project for their own reasons pretty much from day one. Of course it's also possible that something has come up since I last spoke to anyone involved in the GDC that I'm unaware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭docmartin

Duster wrote: »
    really????????

Official club statement regarding new stadium from July 2008

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

any other new signings? any one from the USL getting a chance?

The signings of Jason Noctor, Thomas Bonner and Johnny Lafferty now brings to ten the number of players who have already signed up ahead of the 2010 season.

Full details will be on the club website later.

Harps launch "Revive and Thrive" Campaign, including a cool photo competition on Facebook.

http://www.finnharps.com/News/100128REVIVALLaunched.htm

Harps launch "Revive and Thrive" Campaign, including a cool photo competition on Facebook.

A great initiative and I sincerely hope it's a success.

Sadly the news on their debt isnt very encouraging according to the Democrat

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

Sadly the news on their debt isnt very encouraging [/URL]

Harp's debt may soon be a thing of the past when their new sponsor is announced shortly .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

hi MrA, I am a sth at Finn Park for a few seasons now but was banned from the forum for disagreeing with a mod. Seems the ban is a lifelong one as I cannot post there for three years. Nice way to treat sths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Technique

Novel idea. Got them a load of publicity and probably sold lots of food, programmes, merchandise etc.
    Attendance doubles as Mansfield fans pay what they want
    By Catherine Etoe

Mansfield Town's decision to allow fans to pay what they liked to watch their team saw the home attendance more than double on Saturday.

Kick-off against Gateshead was delayed by 10 minutes as more than 7,000 supporters took up the club's offer.

The bumper crowd failed to inspire the Stags as they lost 2-0, but spokesman Mark Stevenson told BBC Sport the club was delighted with the fans' support.

"The scenes in the first-half brought back memories of the 1980s," he said.

"The players appreciated the huge crowd. Unfortunately they had an off-day but they would love to play in front of that many people every week.

"We hope that people, despite the result, had an enjoyable day and will return - we are becoming a hub of the community again."

Extra police and a full quota of staff were brought in on the day to marshal the crowd at the Field Mill ground, which has a capacity for 9,400 supporters.

With fans paying as little as three pence and as much as £50 on the day - usual ticket prices are £16 - Mr Stevenson said he expected gate receipts to be up.

Believed to be the first of its kind in English football, the club will evaluate the day before they decide whether to run the scheme again.

The brave decision of the club to allow supporters to decide their own entry fee into Field Mill on Saturday has to be applauded

Stevenson added: "We are just delighted to know for certain that there are more people out there."

The Blue Square Premier side is currently owned by fans Andrew Perry, Andrew Saunders and Steve Middleton.

The trio clubbed together to buy out owner Keith Haslam in 2008 and decided to allow fans to pay what they liked to boost the crowd and thank the people of Mansfield.

The resulting crowd of 7,261 was 4,000 more than usually come through the turnstiles at Field Mill.

It also beat the 2007 high of 6,500 for the visit of Middlesbrough in the FA Cup, although demand was even higher with some fans turned away as the ground filled up.

"We had to use the away stand to seat home supporters which has never been heard of in recent times," said Stevenson.

"There was no trouble and both sets of supporters appreciated the fact that everywhere was choc-a-block."

Just for the record Mr_A can I ask you if you are affiliated to the club?

ootbitb wrote: »
    hi MrA, I am a sth at Finn Park for a few seasons now but was banned from the forum for disagreeing with a mod. Seems the ban is a lifelong one as I cannot post there for three years. Nice way to treat sths.
    This comment has nothing to do with this thread and is more or less off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

Sorry Muffler seems I have a knack for upsetting mods.

I thought a thread titled "Finn Harps Thread" would cover everything Finn Harps related.

• Advertisement

ootbitb wrote: »
    Sorry Muffler seems I have a knack for upsetting mods.

I thought a thread titled "Finn Harps Thread" would cover everything Finn Harps related.
    No you're not annoying me at all. We are talking about Finn Harps and not how you managed to get yourself banned from their site or whatever. You need to take that matter up with the people in the club as it is irrelevant here and contributes nothing at all to this discussion.

Can we leave it at that please.

Advertisement