Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do people have children that they can't afford?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

I don't disagree with you, only problem you have is it would create a political storm akin to the medical card fiasco with the pensioners.
    In other words you are advocating the extermination of the Irish race!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Andreas77 wrote: »
    It doesn't matter the tune, just follow the serpent my friend, music is a very special gift, I am sending you a lot of positive energy today, today will be very special for you

I can't post links but "Music is the answer"

by Danny Tenaglia is a good stomper...warm up tune for a retro house night...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Extermination? Far from it, i'm doing my bit to keep the Irish population afloat and will continue doing so for as long as myself and the wife are healthy and able.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I don't disagree with you, only problem you have is it would create a political storm akin to the medical card fiasco with the pensioners.

Absolutely. There is no political will to change anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Absolutely. There is no political will to change anything.

They are afraid of losing votes/seats, just look at the damage it did to Fianna Fail in the 2011 election and the Green Party at that time. The next general election will say alot about those 2 and LIEbour.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

Sounds like an hysterical overreaction. Benefit payments should never pay more than the minimum wage but for some it pays very well indeed. Take the case of Margaret Cash as an example. Also, despite most Traveler women never ever doing a days work they have large families and that's a nice little earner. The system is wrong. People should be encouraged to work and provide for their families. Once children are at school there is no justification for an able bodied parent not to work at least part time.

If parents have the personal means to provide for their kids then I don't care how many they have but there's a huge problem with people from backgrounds whose families never worked who are breeding large families who themselves will never work and will continue the cycle of cradle to grave welfare dependency. Child benefit should be capped at 2 children. Having a child shouldn't make people a housing priority over people who don't have children. Turning down accomodation should mean people are kicked off the housing list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

blueshade wrote: »
    Sounds like an hysterical overreaction. Benefit payments should never pay more than the minimum wage but for some it pays very well indeed. Take the case of Margaret Cash as an example. Also, despite most Traveler women never ever doing a days work they have large families and that's a nice little earner. The system is wrong. People should be encouraged to work and provide for their families. Once children are at school there is no justification for an able bodied parent not to work at least part time.

If parents have the personal means to provide for their kids then I don't care how many they have but there's a huge problem with people from backgrounds whose families never worked who are breeding large families who themselves will never work and will continue the cycle of cradle to grave welfare dependency. Child benefit should be capped at 2 children. Having a child shouldn't make people a housing priority over people who don't have children. Turning down accomodation should mean people are kicked off the housing list.

Careful, here comes the PC brigade with their accusations of racism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

They can afford them. They get a free house and child allowance and increased social welfare payments, free medical care... Easy to afford them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Most important job a woman can do is be a mother (except maybe doctor).
    Much more important than fund accounting or airplane lease structuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭BobMc

riclad wrote: »
    Contraception does not work all the time,
    people have sex when they are not sober.
    We need more young people , young people will be worker,s ,tax payers
    in 20 years .
    some small towns in japan are just populated by old people .
    20 per cent of young people in japan do not have sex,
    no girl friend,s or boyfriend.
    The birth rate is very low.
    1000,S of People retire every year,
    for the tax system to work , they have to replaced by young workers .
    In the system we have now , if you want a council house, you have to have 2 children at least.
    Is it your opinion that only well off middle class people should be allowed
    to have children ?
    Most people are not economic experts,
    when people have sex , they do not think can i afford to have a child.
    I Think its very cynical to think that people just have children
    to get a free house .

Only problem with the above is the cohort with multiples of kids and no source of earned income most likely are going to turn our same as the parents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

And been a mother involves actually raising a child to become a decent human being which clearly most traveler women are not capable of doing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Pmacv1 wrote: »
    I don't understand why people complain about the cost of childcare, when abortions are free.

Fcuk sake

I'm surprised you haven't been banned for this comment.

You are up there with that other clown who starts a thread a minute

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Greyfox wrote: »
    And been a mother involves actually raising a child to become a decent human being which clearly most traveler women are not capable of doing

To be fair, I wouldn't aim that exclusively at our cultured friends. There is a whole genre of people who seem to aim for that lifestyle and also drag their kids up. Branches of what would have been decent working class families are now at liberty to sit on their hole and pop kids out only to send them off to do as they please as soon as they can walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I suppose women who cant afford them from less than privileged backgrounds have them because it's probably the only thing they ever thought they'd amount to. Girls from good homes who get a decent education and go travelling and live a little tend to hold off until the time is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I'm sure this has been posted up on here the last time a debate came up...

However, this movie could be where society is headed when you have governments who offer "cradle to grave" social welfare:

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

Brained washed Catholics I suppose?

"every sperm is sacred"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

:D

And what about men? Is the most important job for them being a father? Good job we don't all subscribe to this bullsh*t, or the country would come to a standstill. Who would pay for these people to rear their kids if we were all busy doing the "most important job"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Antares35 wrote: »
    Careful, here comes the PC brigade with their accusations of racism.

Since when did a traveller become a different race to the rest of us paddy irishmen?
    Surely white,Irish,unemployed would cover things?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

frosty123 wrote: »

Brained washed Catholics I suppose?

"every sperm is sacred"

Good man but you are 40 years too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

yawn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The sexual revolution finally hit Ireland in the late 80's / early 90's.
    Our schools were (and still, largely are) in the control of the Catholic Church who use them to indoctrinate pro-life views on the students.
    Contraception isn't foolproof.
    Abortion has only just become legal, and will continue to be stigmatised due to religious interference in the education system.
    Our social welfare system encourages young women to have children as a means of accessing social housing and further encourages large families with top-ups for each child.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Because Bobs and Vagine are nice

The 1950's rang, they want you back. Being a mother is one thing, being a good mother is another entirely. A child who sees their parents working to provide for them is a damned site better than parents who wouldn't work to warm themselves. No child deserves to be dragged up by a parent who describes themselves as a ''full time mad bastard''. Or by a parent who thinks working is for fools and horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

The 1950's rang, they want you back. Being a mother is one thing, being a good mother is another entirely. A child who sees their parents working to provide for them is a damned site better than parents who wouldn't work to warm themselves. No child deserves to be dragged up by a parent who describes themselves as a ''full time mad bastard''. Or by a parent who thinks working is for fools and horses.

True, and the other side of that coin is that mothers who rarely see their own children because of work are hardly brilliant either. Ditto father's.

Did you have children to be raised in crèches the second you can get them out the door? Maybe they tune in after a few decades, they didn't want children but adults raised by strangers instead. Just rent a family like in Japan, far more efficient :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

And where do you draw the line then?

Should childbirth be illegal for all non working couples? Or is it just people you deem to be scumbags?

I seem to have hit a nerve with some of the cradle to grave welfare dependents. The why work when the taxpayer will fund you and your kids for life brigade. :D My parents worked when we were kids, most of the parents of the kids I grew up with went out to work. They had to because the State wasn't providing them with lots of cash every week.

It is better for children to grow up with parents who provide for the kids themselves instead of wasters who wouldn't work to warm themselves. Once kids are at school there's no excuse for able bodied parents not to do some kind of part time or full time work. Pure laziness and attitude of entitlement not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

abortion , dole bashing , scroungers , free houses , single mothers , racism , catholic church , all in one thread . must be a record even on here . only one left out is the crowd coming here taking our jobs . Im sure someone will give them a mention

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

abortion , dole bashing , scroungers , free houses , single mothers , racism , catholic church , all in one thread . must be a record even on here . only one left out is the crowd coming here taking our jobs . Im sure someone will give them a mention

Plenty of travellers in wexford , all on welfare

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Well might be no harm , Irish are very ugly more polish blood needed

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

I suppose women who cant afford them from less than privileged backgrounds have them because it's probably the only thing they ever thought they'd amount to. Girls from good homes who get a decent education and go travelling and live a little tend to hold off until the time is right.

And often leave it too late as there busy trying to make a living , all the others just opened there legs .
    Actually there’s very little cancer and sickness in that environment must be less stressful opening ur legs rather than going out to work

Advertisement