Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do some people pretend to support certain football teams?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I don't get the point of this thread though following the discussion.

We're supposed to be complaining about people wearing a Liverpool jersey but not actually knowing anything about the team? Pretending to be a fan?

Is actually being a fan, and knowing about the team, better or worse than those we're talking about who pretend?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I find it nauseating going for a few pints at the weekend and seeing grown men glued to the Television set, shouting at something that is happening in another existence, it is almost surreal.

..all whilst thinking you are part of something which you really aren't.

That's your problem, those grown men are having a great time. The fact is they are part of something, the fact that you don't understand it is your problem. Following a EPL team made my childhood a little better, every job or college course I worked in had the wonderful Liverpool/Manu banter which made the day go faster. I also have great memories of watching football with my family and friends. The EPL has given me lots of wonderful memories.
    cjmc wrote: »
    People who get caught in this shyt are morons ( sorry) :)

But there getting enjoyment out if it, what's wrong with getting enjoyment out of life? The fact is if their was no football on the TV their trip to the pub would be less enjoyable
    pgj2015 wrote: »
    west brit

England has some good points, get over it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

8-10 wrote: »
    I don't get the point of this thread though following the discussion.

We're supposed to be complaining about people wearing a Liverpool jersey but not actually knowing anything about the team? Pretending to be a fan?

Is actually being a fan, and knowing about the team, better or worse than those we're talking about who pretend?

Doesn't really matter what the OP was about, these threads always end up the same. The LOI die hards vs the people who enjoy entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

When I lived in London I tried to pretend to like football teams, to see if it made a difference to how I fit in there. But how to choose which team? I had no family history with English teams, so I started by looking at location. I lived in Earl's Court, so who's the local team? Chelsea, since Stamford Bridge was just down the road? Maybe, but what about Fulham is closer than Chelsea (the suburb)?

Then I moved to Muswell Hill in North London, and there are two famous rival North London teams. So I got out the map and a ruler: which team's ground was closer? White Hart Lane (Spurs) or Highbury (Arsenal)? They were both an equal distance away from me. At that point I thought I might as well pick one and go to the match, but when I looked in to getting a ticket, it was instant sticker shock.

Turns out I wasn't that interested after all, and have still never been to a football match in the UK. I've been to an ice hockey match in Denver and a baseball game in Houston, that'll do me.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

bnt wrote: »
    So I got out the map and a ruler: which team's ground was closer? White Hart Lane (Spurs) or Highbury (Arsenal)?

Flashback to junior cert Geography. Fair play to you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I don't get loyalty to specific clubs. Following a team because you like their style of play, or they have a lot of Irish players or whatever else - that makes sense. Sticking with a team when there is no longer anything you particularly like about them is weird. They are foreign businesses.

I don't get loyalty to specific clubs. Following a team because you like their style of play, or they have a lot of Irish players or whatever else - that makes sense. Sticking with a team when there is no longer anything you particularly like about them is weird. They are foreign businesses.

You pick a team because supporting a team makes football more enjoyable, watching football is boring if you don't care about the result. My team are no longer winning and no longer playing great football but their still my team.
    Yeah they are a foreign business but so is every other football club.

You're thinking too much into it. It's just something that people like to do. Some people play video games online with people they can't see and will never meet or know their name. Is that weird? Nope, it's just something I wouldn't be doing myself, but just because I don't understand it doesn't mean I don't understand that some people would choose to enjoy doing that over watching a Liverpool match. Each to their own

It doesn't have to be loyalty either, you can watch whomever you like. I get that they're foreign businesses but I don't mind giving them my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Doesn't really matter what the OP was about, these threads always end up the same. The LOI die hards vs the people who enjoy entertainment.

Don’t forget the ones who’ve left the “sinking ship” that now claim to be LoI die hards, D.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 8,912 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Greyfox wrote: »
    You pick a team because supporting a team makes football more enjoyable, watching football is boring if you don't care about the result. My team are no longer winning and no longer playing great football but their still my team.
    Yeah they are a foreign business but so is every other football club.

what about following your LOI team? they arent foreign.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

With the greatest due respect to the LOI, the ground infrastructures are not appealing for families. It's alright for your jonny 10 pints but unless the government/FAI (or anyone) pumps significant amounts of cash in to the game it will continue to suffer.

Make it more appealing and the game will grow here

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

plenty of Celtic "fans" in Ireland.

You are implying that everyone has a LOI team. Many of us don't. We started watching English clubs on TV first. Many people also choose to follow both. I try to get to a couple of games myself but I don't consider my local team as 'my team'

My team is Liverpool

B_ecke_r wrote: »

Takes me back to circa 1999 when i saw a lad in a local pub wearing a celtic jersey with "Popes 11" on the back.

Same establishment few years later, another lad "Eire 32"

You are implying that everyone has a LOI team. Many of us don't. We started watching English clubs on TV first. Many people also choose to follow both. I try to get to a couple of games myself but I don't consider my local team as 'my team'

My team is Liverpool

well if you live in Ireland its not hard to have a LOI team. I got into the LOI only a few years ago, I dont support my local team but at least I support an Irish team. what gets me is the Irish people who run down LOI and say its $hit, well if more Irish people supported the league it would only get better. The quality of LOI has improved a huge amount over the last few years btw.

B_ecke_r wrote: »

Football being a global sport with global fans seems to have passed many people by. It's no longer the 1960's.

well if you live in Ireland its not hard to have a LOI team. I got into the LOI only a few years ago, I dont support my local team but at least I support an Irish team. what gets me is the Irish people who run down LOI and say its $hit, well if more Irish people supported the league it would only get better. The quality of LOI has improved a huge amount over the last few years btw.

I'm not running it down, I just don't support a team. I don't say it's $hit, and I'll take your word that it's improved a huge amount.

Just because I like Liverpool doesn't mean I actively dislike the LOI. I'm very happy for it to do well.

With the greatest due respect to the LOI, the ground infrastructures are not appealing for families. It's alright for your jonny 10 pints but unless the government/FAI (or anyone) pumps significant amounts of cash in to the game it will continue to suffer.

The FAI are a disgrace. Blazers pulling in massive salaries while the teams are scraping by. Doesn’t look like much is going to change either.
    I got into the LOI only a few years ago, I dont support my local team but at least I support an Irish team.

Did you ever support an English premiership team at all?

The tide is turning…

The FAI are a disgrace. Blazers pulling in massive salaries while the teams are scraping by. Doesn’t look like much is going to change either.

Did you ever support an English premiership team at all?

yes, i still do but i dont pretend to support them while knowing nothing about them. you can support a loi team and english prem team at the same time, im sure many people do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

It is not unlike Munsterwegians in pubs telling other punters to shush during conversions at Rugby matches.

This is infinitely worse than anything else described in this thread.

• Advertisement

yes, i still do but i dont pretend to support them while knowing nothing about them. you can support a loi team and english prem team at the same time, im sure many people do.

Was it Man Utd?

The tide is turning…

I'm not running it down, I just don't support a team. I don't say it's $hit, and I'll take your word that it's improved a huge amount.

Just because I like Liverpool doesn't mean I actively dislike the LOI. I'm very happy for it to do well.

a lot of paddy premierships run the loi down while never having been to a game.

what i dont really get is if someone has a genuine interest in soccer, how they can get more satisfaction from watching liverpool on tv than watching live soccer, loi live beats champions league football on tv for me but look everyone is different i suppose.

Was it Man Utd?

No,iv never seen any man united fans who stopped following man united and now follow loi. most man u fans i know, you wouldnt be able to pay them to go to a loi match.

what i dont really get is if someone has a genuine interest in soccer, how they can get more satisfaction from watching liverpool on tv than watching live soccer, loi live beats champions league football on tv for me but look everyone is different i suppose.

Exactly. And try taking a flight to Liverpool, Manchester or Birmingham at a weekend or midweek between now and May. You'll see that plenty do go to see live soccer. But even those who don't still enjoy it.

And as you say, you can do both. It's not like you can go see a LOI game this weekend so why not watch the EPL on tv?

You can also have plenty of knowledge about a team purely from watching them on tv. There's also plenty of information online, podcasts etc. Moreso than LOI who might have some local coverage, a twitter and FB account to follow.

Liverpool are one of the best teams around right now, even many non-Liverpool fans get satisfaction by watching them on tv these days. Try it this weekend, Crystal Palace away. You might like it.

I support them too. Unfortunately for them I idolised Eric Cantona before I discovered that their was such a thing as the LOI. Ultimately when I was a kid everyone who played football had an EPL team and it was a few years later when I learned that we also had a professional league in Ireland

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

bnt wrote: »
    When I lived in London I tried to pretend to like football teams, to see if it made a difference to how I fit in there. But how to choose which team? I had no family history with English teams, so I started by looking at location. I lived in Earl's Court, so who's the local team? Chelsea, since Stamford Bridge was just down the road? Maybe, but what about Fulham is closer than Chelsea (the suburb)?

Then I moved to Muswell Hill in North London, and there are two famous rival North London teams. So I got out the map and a ruler: which team's ground was closer? White Hart Lane (Spurs) or Highbury (Arsenal)? They were both an equal distance away from me. At that point I thought I might as well pick one and go to the match, but when I looked in to getting a ticket, it was instant sticker shock.

Turns out I wasn't that interested after all, and have still never been to a football match in the UK. I've been to an ice hockey match in Denver and a baseball game in Houston, that'll do me.

London is a tricky one BNT, thanks for adding this contribution, it is a very relevant one.

London is massive, quite literally. I often see it as an entirely different country to the rest of the UK. It is a bit like a little principality subsumed within the island itself. No other city in the UK can really identify with this. The population is diverse. For example a lot of Jamaican Yardies are more likely to be found attending the Oval for a game of cricket in June, as they are to be found at the Den in Millwall, even though they all live in Peckham. It is a cultural thing underneath it all.

I can remember attending Upton Park when Paul Ince made his first appearance there after selling out to Castle Greyskull, in I think 1989. I will never forget the tension in that stadium that day. The entire first half was essentially a chorus of boos from the Hammers fans. Ince rarely left the circle, he was terrified. They were hurling half filled plastic soft drink bottles, coins, flares, west ham jerseys, dirty condoms and you name it at the poor guy. Every time he tried to touch the ball the booos and the wanker gesticulation was everywhere. I was an independent observer, but for fear of getting lynched I even faked a cockney accent and joined in.

The fans were constantly chanting " you'll never make the station, you will never make the staaaaayyytion , oh you will never the staaaayyytion.....

never make the station , oh you'll never make the station , you little xxxxxxxx, you never make the phucking staaaaaaaytion " etc etc.

Ferguson took him off after 50 minutes, he was in tears.

I went home, quite shell shocked myself let me tell you, Upton Park is one of the scariest places I have ever been to. I was living in Islington at the time. The tube was tense and there was a lot of scraps and violence going on, I was terrified at times.

That night when I at home watching the highlights I distinctly remember that the crowd interference had been muted from the game. You could not hear any of the bile that the crowd were shouting at him, I mean some really racist stuff including aping etc. They managed to avoid showing most of the missile throwing, but the pitch looked like a halting site on a bad day with the amount of litter and shight all over it.

The real point I am making here is that if you are living in London, but your not from London... your never really from there at all. I got lucky travelling with a work colleague who was a Hammers fan. But I never returned to Upton Park again. No thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    This is infinitely worse than anything else described in this thread.

Very off topic in fairness Cranky, and in hindsight your probably right.

Put don't forget there that a lot of Munsterwegians are also Cork City and Limerick City fans. Fair play to them.

Anyone with half a brain cell knows that Waterford is really in Leinster. Waterfordwegians are not really Munsterwegians, they are the wrong side of the river Suir for that. Don't let them forget it either.

But I never returned to Upton Park again. No thanks.

I'm a West Ham fan. Spent years living in Plaistow. Back in them days it was proper east end. Mad shop. I remember scraps up and down the barking road (It's a long road)

These days (obviously they are gone now) it has changed. Huge bangladeshi/pakistani population in the area.

I miss the Boleyn and it's namesake pub.

Anyway, to your point, that was a proper football ground with real fans and that is why i still follow them today. Although i only get to them maybe 4/5 times a year i would class myself as a proper supporter even though i don't attend every game

True lots of EPL fans talk down the LOI, sadly in life lots of people talk down things before they give it a fair chance. The really sad thing is if they gave the LOI a fair change they would more than likely love it.

Because the fan is emotionally invested in Liverpool but there not invested in a LOI team yet and it takes time to get invested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Tallaght Stadium, Turners Cross and Sligo's Showground are all great stadiums. Not a thing wrong with any of them. All very modern.

I've seen people turn their nose up at Europa League football in Tallaght against Bundesliga opposition because "the swimming is on". Not always a case of build it and they'll come.

Advertisement