Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Julian Assange arrested after Ecuador withdraw asylum

• 11-04-2019 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47891737

Wikileaks co-founder Julian Assange has been arrested at the Ecuadorian embassy in London. Looks like they got fed up with this spoilt egomanic and withdrew his asylum.
    I have always considered him a loathsome self serving prick.
    Betting on the US now seeking his extradition?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange has been arrested after Ecuador withdrew asylum this morning.

It comes after WikiLeaks last week claimed Assange would be expelled within "hours to days" and Ecuador had an agreement with the UK for his arrest.

Assange, 47, had been holed up in the embassy in posh Knightsbridge for 7 years, initially to avoid being extradited to Sweden to face allegations of sexual offences.

He fears he could be extradited to face charges in the US, where federal prosecutors are investigating WikiLeaks.

In a statement, Scotland Yard said: "Julian Assange, 47, has today, Thursday 11 April, been arrested by officers from the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) at the Embassy of Ecuador, Hans Crescent, SW1 on a warrant issued by Westminster Magistrates' Court on 29 June 2012, for failing to surrender to the court.

"He has been taken into custody at a central London police station where he will remain, before being presented before Westminster Magistrates' Court as soon as is possible.

"The MPS had a duty to execute the warrant, on behalf of Westminster Magistrates' Court, and was invited into the embassy by the Ambassador, following the Ecuadorian government's withdrawal of asylum."

So time has run out for Julian Assange.

With the accusations Sexual Offences in Sweden and the Leaks in the US I dont see how this guys life will ever be normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Gonna be interesting to follow this one. For what it's worth, I think he did the world a service. The assault accusations against always seemed contrary to me. Then again, he could be a despicable sex pest and still have done the world a service with his leaks on illegal activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Your quote is wrong. He has been in the embassy since 2012.

7 years of self imprisonment. A bit stupid if you ask me. The problem was never just going to go away. So you might as well just face the music and fight it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I thought the Swedish prosecutors dropped the charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Yurt! wrote: »

They did, eventually. Now he has to deal with skipping bail for 7 years.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Nixonbot wrote: »
    They did, eventually. Now he has to deal with skipping bail for 7 years.

So he is guilty of being innocent?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Samuel Vimes

Expect an extradition request from the US almost immediately, perhaps as soon as today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

7 years of self imprisonment. A bit stupid if you ask me. The problem was never just going to go away. So you might as well just face the music and fight it.

Ya that's realistically possible:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Well if he just ends up on that Island Prison the swedes have then grand, but if he ends up being best friends with big hank in the slammer stateside, i'd chose the 7 years eating ceviche thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

What?

• Advertisement

Yurt! wrote: »

They did.
    But he broke his UK bail conditions by fleeing to the embassy. So he is arrested for breach of bail conditions.

Extraordinary photo. Looks like he was not going quietly

xaqgVlm.png

He didnt go quietly at all. haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY6v63jMyl4

Zorya wrote: »
    Extraordinary photo. Looks like he was not going quietly

xaqgVlm.png

Get your hands off me, you'll do nothing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Expect an extradition request from the US almost immediately, perhaps as soon as today.

They’ll just create a martyr.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

What with Chelsea Manning in jail and Assange now arrested it is clear that whistle blowers are not welcome. We do not really live in democracies at all.

I thought someone had embedded an old bearded fellas head on his shoulders! Then I watched the video clip :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Nah, bail was set, he did a runner. There's a charge that goes with that on its own.

• Advertisement

I thought someone had embedded an old bearded fellas head on his shoulders! Then I watched the video clip :D

So did I. He looks dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Who actually remembers him? And for what?

is_that_so wrote: »
    Nah, bail was set, he did a runner. There's a charge that goes with that on its own.

I know if charges are dropped, surely the bail conditions attached to those charges should be scrapped also.
    But having said that, what would I know I'm just a farmer

it's noticeable that all of his celebrity "Friends" have one very silent about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Samuel Vimes

Trump will be delirious with this, he will totally go to town on Assange.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,124 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I know if charges are dropped, surely the bail conditions attached to those charges should be scrapped also.
    But having said that, what would I know I'm just a farmer

Makes sense.

The guy's still a dick though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Zorya wrote: »
    So did I. He looks dreadful.

I thought it was Padre Pio.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The PewDiePie generation, ladies and gentleman.

We are f*cked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

One of life's true hero's. Sacrificed so much for the greater good. The world needs more people like him.

• Advertisement

Some of us do. He is a significant person. History doesn't die with every new day.

Summary of some things from wiki
    The group has released a number of prominent document dumps. Early releases included documentation of equipment expenditures and holdings in the Afghanistan war and a report informing a corruption investigation in Kenya.[11] In April 2010, WikiLeaks released the Collateral Murder footage from the 12 July 2007 Baghdad airstrike in which Iraqi journalists were among those killed. Other releases in 2010 included the Afghan War Diary and the "Iraq War Logs". The latter allowed the mapping of 109,032 deaths in "significant" attacks by insurgents in Iraq that had been reported to Multi-National Force – Iraq, including about 15,000 that had not been previously published.[12][13] In 2010, WikiLeaks also released the US State Department diplomatic "cables", classified cables that had been sent to the US State Department. In April 2011, WikiLeaks began publishing 779 secret files relating to prisoners detained in the Guantanamo Bay detention camp.[14]

During the 2016 US presidential election campaign, WikiLeaks released emails and other documents from the Democratic National Committee and from Hillary Clinton's campaign manager, John Podesta.[15] These releases caused significant harm to the Clinton campaign, and have been attributed as a potential contributing factor to her loss.[16] The U.S. intelligence community expressed "high confidence" that the leaked emails had been hacked by Russia and supplied to WikiLeaks, while WikiLeaks denied their source was Russia or any other state.[17] During the campaign, WikiLeaks promoted conspiracy theories about Hillary Clinton and the Democratic Party.[18][19][20] In private conversations from November 2015 that were later leaked, Julian Assange expressed a preference for a GOP victory in the 2016 election, explaining that "Dems+Media+liberals woudl [sic] then form a block to reign [sic] in their worst qualities. With Hillary in charge, GOP will be pushing for her worst qualities, dems+media+neoliberals will be mute."[21] In private correspondence with the Trump campaign on election day (8 November 2016), WikiLeaks encouraged the Trump campaign to contest the election results in case they lost.[22]

WikiLeaks has drawn criticism for its absence of whistleblowing on or criticism of Russia, and for criticising the Panama Papers' exposé of businesses and individuals with offshore bank accounts.[23][24] WikiLeaks has also been criticised for inadequately curating its content and violating the personal privacy of individuals. WikiLeaks has, for instance, revealed Social Security numbers, medical information, credit card numbers and details of suicide attempts

Advertisement