Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-01-2019, 10:50   #16
Wishbone Ash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassey View Post
... I'm tempted to get another set of nicer boots for weekend spins and ditch the overshoes completely
Don't ditch the overshoes. While boots are great in the winter when wearing tights/legwarmers, they don't look right with shorts so you'll still need the overshoes for wet rides in warmer months.
Advertisement
09-01-2019, 11:00   #17
magicbastarder

also, if you're going to be doing multiple cycles using the same set of gear, overshoes are useful - most obviously on the commute. i leave them in my backpack, because a dry commute in does not mean a dry commute home.
09-01-2019, 11:37   #18
AlanD

Add a pair of knee high sealskinz socks and you're all winter ready. Knee high so that spray doesn't roll down the inside of the sock.

I added sealskinz waterproof leg warmers to this combo for total waterproofing. Only change I had to make was to seal the seams with Fabsil spray Add overshoes to protect the good summer shoes and you're in business.
09-01-2019, 13:56   #19
Frankirish

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrydel View Post
Those spatz things look great but look like they'd be as difficult as a wetsuit to get on and off!
Surprisingly not! They are very pliable and you can either pull them up and down or roll them up or down. I notice on the packaging they state that they mustn't come in contact with your crank arms during cycling or they will prematurely ware through, that’s how soft the waterproof material is. So check your crank arms to make sure your cleats are positioned properly and you have no rubbing issues and you'll be good to go.
Thanks from:
09-01-2019, 14:02   #20
Weepsie

I've specialized defroster boots. Used for roughly 10 mins to try them out. Hoping for a dip in temperature soon to give them a proper go.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-01-2019, 15:01   #21
Wishbone Ash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankirish View Post
Surprisingly not! They are very pliable and you can either pull them up and down or roll them up or down. I notice on the packaging they state that they mustn't come in contact with your crank arms during cycling or they will prematurely ware through, that’s how soft the waterproof material is. So check your crank arms to make sure your cleats are positioned properly and you have no rubbing issues and you'll be good to go.
What's the sole like? Will they take a bit of wear caused by foot down at traffic lights, junctions etc.
09-01-2019, 15:49   #22
Frankirish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Ash View Post
What's the sole like? Will they take a bit of wear caused by foot down at traffic lights, junctions etc.
There is only a velcro strap that goes under the shoe between the heel and cleat so there is minimal road contact if any. The heel section doesn't go below the sole and the toe part is keep off the road via your cleat.
Thanks from:
09-01-2019, 17:59   #23
The Noble Nudge

Anyone using the Fizik Artica boot?

https://www.fizik.com/eu_en/artica-r5.html
09-01-2019, 18:03   #24
Wishbone Ash

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noble Nudge View Post
Anyone using the Fizik Artica boot?

https://www.fizik.com/eu_en/artica-r5.html
07 Lapierre - see post no.8 above.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-01-2019, 18:06   #25
The Noble Nudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Ash View Post
07 Lapierre - see post no.8 above.
The word Spatz caught my eye and brain more than Fizik
Thanks from:
09-01-2019, 18:13   #26
The Noble Nudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Lapierre View Post
Fizic Artic R5 winter shoes and Spatz “Road man” knew high overshoes.

Quite impressed so far, although it’s been pretty mild so far this winter.
Lapierre
The fact youre wearing spatz as well with these is that just for keeping the wet out completely?

No vents on the sole compared to the Northwave version I can only imagine your feet will sweat anyway??
09-01-2019, 19:52   #27
07Lapierre

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noble Nudge View Post
Lapierre
The fact youre wearing spatz as well with these is that just for keeping the wet out completely?

No vents on the sole compared to the Northwave version I can only imagine your feet will sweat anyway??
Yes. They work in tandem. Wearing the boots on their own means my feet can get cold. If I wear the Spatz over summer shoes, my feet get wet and cold!

I better mention that I really, really feel the cold, and my feet have never been sweaty while cycling. Fizic shoes and Spatz combined could be too warm for some people, but Not for me.
Thanks from:
09-01-2019, 21:46   #28
The Noble Nudge

On a serious note having tried a few of the options above...IMO

Northwave...very difficult to put on...Looks just like a sock darned onto a road shoe...will take both cleats..vents on the sole...

Shimano M7’s..Big and bulky wont take a road cleat...a hardy boot to be fair

Shimano R5’s...nice price, a few air holes...will take both cleats road/mtb that is..again like a sock darned onto a shoe.

Spatz...back to overshoe scenario..rip no zips mind...like wellies

Fizik...back for another look tomorrow.....looking like a favorite but back to zips...

Specialized...must drop in the new shop and have a gander

I dont really suffer with the cold to be fair..

Last edited by The Noble Nudge; 10-01-2019 at 09:12. Reason: spelling
09-01-2019, 21:52   #29
Mc Love

Any options for those of use that dont use cleat type pedals? i've bought overshoes but they dont really fit over my runners.
09-01-2019, 21:56   #30
07Lapierre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc Love View Post
Any options for those of use that dont use cleat type pedals? i've bought overshoes but they dont really fit over my runners.
Get clipin pedals?
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion