Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-01-2019, 14:23   #1
Squall Leonhart

Indicators on Bicycle

I'm (very!) new to the cycling game, having only recently braved my first cycle to work.

It's in Limerick and it's busy but not too bad, most of my 11km route has wide roads, few parts are sketchy enough but overall not bad.

I was wondering if something like these are ridiculous/likely to be missed or ignored, or are they a good idea to improve visibility on turning etc?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WingLights-...b_title_sports
Advertisement
08-01-2019, 14:25   #2
Tenzor07

What's wrong with your arms?
08-01-2019, 14:34   #3
CramCycle
A wholly unreasonable man

Another poster has a good solution where he attached lights to his gloves to make hand signals more visible.
08-01-2019, 14:35   #4
TheBoyConor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzor07 View Post
You've to take one off the bars and steer and keep youself stable with just one arm while signalling. If you hit a bump or your other hand slips you will fall.
(3) thanks from:
08-01-2019, 14:36   #5
Squall Leonhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzor07 View Post
Nothing... and I use them...
But it's January. It's dark at 7am and it's dark at 6pm.
Advertisement
08-01-2019, 14:36   #6
ronoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoyConor View Post
You've to take one off the bars and steer and keep youself stable with just one arm while signalling. If you hit a bump or your other hand slips you will fall.
It's something that improves with practice.
08-01-2019, 14:37   #7
Lumen

Reflective wristband.
08-01-2019, 14:37   #8
CramCycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoyConor View Post
The same will happen regardless if your that unsteady.
Thanks from:
08-01-2019, 15:01   #9
JMcL

They'd probably just be confusing if they're noticed at all. Find a quiet carpark or somesuch to practice in and get comfortable with using hand signals
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-01-2019, 15:05   #10
Grassey

Galibier have reflective winter gloves - handy I find for signalling in the dark commuting times.

I'd be worried that the light is so small it will go unnoticed as drivers wont expect to see it as it's non standard

Sure you could get this instead - a jacket that uses your back as an indicator (that likely also will go unnoticed)

Thanks from:
08-01-2019, 15:05   #11
oLoonatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CramCycle View Post
Another poster has a good solution where he attached lights to his gloves to make hand signals more visible.
I had thought of doing this, I'm cycling about 30km round trip to work. I use my arm but people still have a habit of trying to over/under take me when i am signalling to turn (pretty much pretending i dont exist as to not inconvenience them). I wonder would that make a difference.
08-01-2019, 15:08   #12
punisher5112

I love those jackets that near light up with vehicle lights shining on them, only issue is the amount of numpties going around with their 5 watt side lights on where a candle would be brighter.

Get the reflective arm bands with flashing red lights and make sure to have at least one really good lights front and back.

Stand out from the the rest.
08-01-2019, 15:13   #13
ED E

Quote:
Originally Posted by oLoonatic View Post
I had thought of doing this, I'm cycling about 30km round trip to work. I use my arm but people still have a habit of trying to over/under take me when i am signalling to turn (pretty much pretending i dont exist as to not inconvenience them). I wonder would that make a difference.
It wont. The problem is them not you.

There are jackets with indicators if you want. Bar ends arent the best place IMO as they're obstructed hugely by you, your bike, your bag etc.
08-01-2019, 15:20   #14
CramCycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by oLoonatic View Post
I have indicated in good time and with more than enough time to pull out with drivers seeing me and then speeding up to cut me off intentionally. Hate to say it but Id have been better off not indicating at all.

The long and short of it is, they may help you get more seen on a dark night but they won't stop d1cks being d1cks. Indicating grants you no right of way but it doesn't stop people being d1cks either.

Indicate before a turn, look around and check over your shoulder. If it is safe to go, do it, if its not, hold back, simples.

A light on your wrist may increase your confidence, it might alert someone who is simple and didn't cop from your arm or road position but don't ever presume it will make anyone give way.

i
(3) thanks from:
08-01-2019, 15:35   #15
oLoonatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CramCycle View Post
I have indicated in good time and with more than enough time to pull out with drivers seeing me and then speeding up to cut me off intentionally. Hate to say it but Id have been better off not indicating at all.

The long and short of it is, they may help you get more seen on a dark night but they won't stop d1cks being d1cks. Indicating grants you no right of way but it doesn't stop people being d1cks either.

Indicate before a turn, look around and check over your shoulder. If it is safe to go, do it, if its not, hold back, simples.

A light on your wrist may increase your confidence, it might alert someone who is simple and didn't cop from your arm or road position but don't ever presume it will make anyone give way.

i
Thats a fair point alright. Very frustrating though. I used to drive alot for work from bikes to extra large vans and know all too well how vulnerable cyclists are. In particular around the city centre. On reflection maybe i'm mad to commute by bicycle now, But for health and financial reasons its fantastic.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion