Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-09-2018, 19:00   #1
OleRodrigo

Gran Canaria

Heading over in a few weeks and will be based in the south, in Maspalomas. Anyone any tips for cafe stops, recommended routes, recovery establishments, restaurants etc?
Advertisement
19-09-2018, 09:36   #2
1bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleRodrigo View Post
Heading over in a few weeks and will be based in the south, in Maspalomas. Anyone any tips for cafe stops, recommended routes, recovery establishments, restaurants etc?
go to free motion in playa del ingles, down by the beach. Buy a route map from them for around 7 euro. That'll give you all the info you need, including cafe stops. But really, if you see a cafe and you fancy a coffee, just stop. All the ones in the mountains are quality.
Thanks from:
27-10-2018, 23:47   #3
Old Perry

Quote:
How did ya get on?
29-10-2018, 14:18   #4
OleRodrigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Perry View Post
How did ya get on?
Was good. Got a few spins along the GC60 and back along the GC505. Was steeper than I was expecting but great scenery.

Maspalomas is quite touristy though, with lots of traffic.

If I go again to GC, it'll be an airbnb somewhere not far from the airport. Taxi with the bike was 45 each way to Maspalomas.

You need to bring climbing legs, mind you - there are no easy days there. I found Mallorca, Fuerteventura & Lanzarote more agreeable in that regard. You can plan recovery days there.

Recovery in GC is going up 10% + a bit slower
Thanks from:
30-10-2018, 13:14   #5
NBar

Been to Maspalomas this year and last and love the climbing, only this year found a great coffee place when not cycling but wanted a good walk on the days not cycling which was every second day, only gripe was the roads that were closed last year still closed so limited my routes, will be back again next year as love the climbs, the roads and the courteous drivers etc

best coffee is this Italian place il caffettino, look it up on Facebook, real Italian community, fresh pastries and the coffee is the best you will get anywhere and very very cheap as well and worth going to early in morning either walking or before a spin
Advertisement
30-10-2018, 19:22   #6
Tenzor07

Going this week for some biking in the dry and warm temps!
31-10-2018, 09:29   #7
OleRodrigo

God I struggled to find good coffee in Maspalomas.

il caffettino - Noted.
31-10-2018, 09:32   #8
1bryan

Quote:
God I struggled to find good coffee in Maspalomas.

il caffettino - Noted.
La Esquina in San Fernando. As you cycle up that first hill through the built-up area if you're heading from Maspalomas towards the climb to Fataga. It's at the first or second roundabout. Lovely coffee and good tapas.
31-10-2018, 11:15   #9
OleRodrigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bryan View Post
La Esquina in San Fernando. As you cycle up that first hill through the built-up area if you're heading from Maspalomas towards the climb to Fataga. It's at the first or second roundabout. Lovely coffee and good tapas.
Think I saw it, after the turn off to LIDL... just before the start of the GC60. Actually there was a couple of riders stopped there too.

The damage had already been done at that point though. Sachets of ' gold blend ' from the local grocer.
Advertisement
31-10-2018, 22:58   #10
Old Perry

So I've been thinking of heading of to warmer climate for some cycling, had GC in mind and then I heard about the climbing. I've very little climbing experience. So had a look at Tenerife, this seems to be the same but not as hard-core.

Anybody with exp. of both able to advise. I'm a beginner by all means and would intend on this being mostly leisure and fitness oriented, would like to enjoy it rather than kill myself slogging up hills every day.
04-11-2018, 17:25   #11
lukegjpotter

I'm heading over just before Christmas. Aiming for two climbs of Pico de las Nieves during the week. I'll be using the Strava route generator extensively to avoid going up the steep grades.

Alpe du Zwift will be getting a few reps, once they get rid of this New York bulloni.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Perry View Post
I've very little climbing experience. So had a look at Tenerife
Are we talking about the same Tenerife? Are you mental?
Maybe cycling up the volcano from the Northside.
The Southside, more touristy (English Speaking), would be tougher.

Might I recommend Sierra Nevada with http://www.sierranevada.cc/ , it was my first climbing holiday and the climbs are nice. A group just came back from there and the temperature was very high teens, so you'd want to go quick.
Thanks from:
04-11-2018, 21:57   #12
Old Perry

Thanks . Will have a look at that..... for next time. I threw caution to the wind a few days ago. I'll be heading to gran canaria at the end of the month for 5 days. Will take it as it comes have routes fairly well researched so I'm not caught out. Looking forward to it, with apprehension ðŸ˜
07-11-2018, 09:43   #13
1bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukegjpotter View Post
I'm heading over just before Christmas. Aiming for two climbs of Pico de las Nieves during the week. I'll be using the Strava route generator extensively to avoid going up the steep grades.
curious to know the route you end up taking. The most direct route would seem to be from maspalomas to ayacata, via fataga, then up to Pico via Roque Nublo, but the road does go back down across the east of the island. I've never cycled that one, but have driven it. The road goes on forever. I guess it depends on where you're based when there also.
07-11-2018, 18:39   #14
cunavalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bryan View Post
curious to know the route you end up taking. The most direct route would seem to be from maspalomas to ayacata, via fataga, then up to Pico via Roque Nublo, but the road does go back down across the east of the island. I've never cycled that one, but have driven it. The road goes on forever. I guess it depends on where you're based when there also.
Probably one of the tougher ways up to the summit is "La Pasadilla" via Ingenio. Those who have done the Summit Tour with Free Motion are probably familiar with the route but normally their tour descends this way after climbing through Fataga - Ayacata.

The Strava for the segment is https://www.strava.com/segments/711517
This climb also features as the Hill Climb part of the annual cycle tour sportive festival held in December. I have only descended this way and can imagine it is a bit of a grind all the way up.

Last edited by cunavalos; 07-11-2018 at 18:43.
Thanks from:
21-11-2018, 21:35   #15
Old Perry

https://www.flickr.com/photos/698471...posted-public/

Well that was epic. I've never had so much fun on a bike as chasing cars down some of them hills. I started out from peurto mogan, so probably one of the easier routes from what I have read, I have no gps or tech on board but left at 9am ish and back in apartment about 3/3.30. I'm just happy I made it to the top having tried the 1st day I was here and giving up, took it easy the second and managed it today.

I'm a bit sore now, reckon the bike was slightly to big for me, cannondale supersix evo, but how and ever it was well worth it. Gonna be very hard to go back to my alu frame and winter/ waterproof gear 😣

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion