Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-01-2018, 22:08   #61
tnegun

I emailed Waterways and in fairness they called me back that day there is a precast section being installed under the accommodation bridge so thats the reason behind it. I guess once thats done we've a great piece of Greenway on our doorstep. I know I'm looking forward to it reopening its great for the kids and their bikes!
Advertisement
13-01-2018, 09:29   #62
guanciale

I have mixed feelings regarding the development of the canals.
On the sections I have been on that have seen redevelopment they are simply a replacement of grass with rather ugly hardpacked gravel, less compatible with nature. Also i enjoyed cycling the canal because the terrain was challenging and it is significantly less challenging now.

I think a compromise could have been a narrower path with a grass verge between the path and water. Also a surface more compatible with nature would have been preferrable.

Fully support cycle and walk ways away from roads but feel this could have been more sympathetic and better thiught out.
Thanks from:
19-01-2018, 07:19   #63
blueballfc

"http://irishcycle.com/2018/01/18/royal-canal-greenway-in-dublin-city-delayed-by-nearly-a-year/"
19-01-2018, 08:30   #64
Weepsie

Yet they'll disrupt everything around Clontarf to the tune of 500 k for a few weeks/months
Thanks from:
19-01-2018, 22:50   #65
Carawaystick

Quote:
Originally Posted by guanciale View Post
I have mixed feelings regarding the development of the canals.
On the sections I have been on that have seen redevelopment they are simply a replacement of grass with rather ugly hardpacked gravel, less compatible with nature. Also i enjoyed cycling the canal because the terrain was challenging and it is significantly less challenging now.

I think a compromise could have been a narrower path with a grass verge between the path and water. Also a surface more compatible with nature would have been preferrable.

Fully support cycle and walk ways away from roads but feel this could have been more sympathetic and better thiught out.
You do realise the canal is an entirely human built thing? not a natural feature of the landscape.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
20-01-2018, 09:19   #66
Harrybelafonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carawaystick View Post
You do realise the canal is an entirely human built thing? not a natural feature of the landscape.
He/She referred to the surface around the canal and made a point with which I totally agree.
20-01-2018, 09:57   #67
magicbastarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carawaystick View Post
not sure what your point is; we can't favour grass over gravel?
21-01-2018, 20:40   #68
CapnHex

In my opinion, the best sections of the royal canal are the gravel sections all the way to Ballymahon. Looking forward to Meath completing their sections. Much of Grand Canal is way behind and hard to cycle outside of perfect dry conditions.
Thanks from:
22-01-2018, 09:49   #69
TooObvious

Yeah, gravel sections from Mullingar all the way to Ballymahon are lovely, just the right amount of gravelliness! I'm going to cycle from B'Mahon to Clondara at the weekend, hopefully it won't be as pissy as last weekend.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
22-01-2018, 09:59   #70
marvin80

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooObvious View Post
Yeah, gravel sections from Mullingar all the way to Ballymahon are lovely, just the right amount of gravelliness! I'm going to cycle from B'Mahon to Clondara at the weekend, hopefully it won't be as pissy as last weekend.
As far as I know Longford County Council have been working on the section after Ballymahon for the past few weeks - let us know how it looks.
Thanks from:
22-01-2018, 11:30   #71
TooObvious

Thanks for letting me know - will advise how i get on!
(2) thanks from:
25-01-2018, 07:25   #72
Gorteen

Quote:
PM sent
29-01-2018, 08:50   #73
TooObvious

So, I cycled from Brannigan Harbour in Ballymahon to Clondra via the canal at the weekend. Gorteen joined me for the outward leg. The full route can be cycled without dismounting on a CX bike, though it is at the moment fairly muddy in places - chiefly where works are being carried out to lay down the track. I don't recall any singletrack so all of the route is either paved now or to be completed imminently. I spoke to a Inland Waterways chap whilst en-route and he said that the work would be completed in about 6 weeks.
30-01-2018, 00:03   #74
Carawaystick

Quote:
How do they compare with the dust sections immediately east of Mullingar?
30-01-2018, 10:46   #75
TooObvious

The surface is a mix of older tarmaced (road) surface and the new surface which is a grit surface with a similar grade to that used between Mullingar and Ballymahon. Once complete should be happily doable on 25's, 23 even if you want to.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion