Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-06-2017, 11:34   #16
loudymacloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr spuckler View Post
yes beyond Hill of Down is great, i cycled it on a carbon road bike a couple of years ago just as the Athlone greenway was due to open.

funding was recently allocated (according to this) for the completion of Maynooth to the Hill of Down. It's previously been stated that it should be complete in 2018.

edit: i'm from Athlone but live in Dublin so the completion of this will make a huge difference to me for weekend bike based visits home!
From Athlone but living in Dublin too, will definitely make a difference. Cant wait.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
02-06-2017, 12:47   #17
De Bhál

Is the full distance possible on a bike at the moment, I'm planning on giving it a go in early July?
Thought I read somewhere on here about works on one section forcing you onto the road or something.
02-06-2017, 14:34   #18
Carawaystick

You can't get from Seville place to north strand road (yet) as a train line blocks the way. A bridge is planned

From Hill of Down west to the next bridge is a public road, but isn't there still a very rough mile or 2 on south bank to Westmeath border?
Thanks from:
02-06-2017, 14:40   #19
De Bhál

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carawaystick View Post
You can't get from Seville place to north strand road (yet) as a train line blocks the way. A bridge is planned

From Hill of Down west to the next bridge is a public road, but isn't there still a very rough mile or 2 on south bank to Westmeath border?
ok, in fairness i'm not too woried about the bits in the city as i'd get around them easily enough, just thinking about out in the middle of the country and having to do a long detour.

I found the thread that i mentioned above and the poster says the canal towpath in unpassable around Moyvalley due to works.

I've emailed Waterways Ireland
02-06-2017, 14:48   #20
loudymacloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carawaystick View Post

there is, but manageable enough if its not wet
Advertisement
02-06-2017, 15:27   #21
devonp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberGold View Post
Did it a few years ago on the Long Heron Audax. I was on a road bike with 23's and mudguards, I was the only one not to puncture, others had 28's and the odd mountain bike, sacralidge for an Audax ride.
last yr i did it on an MTB(no regrets), mea culpa ??

i sometimes commute out through the DS to leixlip,there is a very short stretch (maybe 20-30m) of the DS with some exposed bedrock which can be treacherous when wet
06-06-2017, 09:12   #22
Mercian Pro

Useful link with distances in kms http://royalcanal.ie/leisure-activities/distance-table/
Thanks from:
06-06-2017, 09:38   #23
Mercian Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonp View Post
i sometimes commute out through the DS to leixlip,there is a very short stretch (maybe 20-30m) of the DS with some exposed bedrock which can be treacherous when wet
This might be the bit of the Deep Sinking you're referring to:
image sharing
06-06-2017, 10:10   #24
smacl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercian Pro View Post
This might be the bit of the Deep Sinking you're referring to
Last time I was down there, there were a few short collapsed parts on that rooted section, don't know if its been patched since. The sign at the start is fair warning

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ds.JPG (152.8 KB, 655 views)
Advertisement
06-06-2017, 10:21   #25
mr spuckler

with multiple tyre tracks visible in the mud

i watched that documentary linked earlier in the thread as i'd never heard of the deep sinking, definitely keen to wander down for a look at some stage though might be on foot for now . is it reasonably accessible from the road?
06-06-2017, 10:37   #26
smacl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr spuckler View Post
with multiple tyre tracks visible in the mud

i watched that documentary linked earlier in the thread as i'd never heard of the deep sinking, definitely keen to wander down for a look at some stage though might be on foot for now . is it reasonably accessible from the road?
Its actually fine by bike (hybrid, MTB, CX) once you're sensible and get off and push for any short stretches you're not comfortable with. The narrow rooted bits are short enough. I got onto it here by coming out of the Asthown gates of the Phoenix park.
(2) thanks from:
06-06-2017, 10:48   #27
mr spuckler

it's not that i'm concerned about being able to cycle / navigate it, moreso that i struggle to get out for spins long enough to get me there at the moment!

so am most likely to take the young lad for a walk rather than cycle it right now.
06-06-2017, 17:52   #28
P_1

Is it from this spot the Royal Canal Way becomes all smooth and road bike friendly going West?

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Ann...961!4d-7.12342
06-06-2017, 18:28   #29
velo.2010

Thinking that the route along the canal from Maynooth to Kilcock had been tarmacked, I went down that way last week. Got onto the canal path and found it to be that loose bitumen/asphalt surface - completely inappropriate for road bikes and skinny tyres. Tried again from the Kilcock side and the same thing. The only piece that is properly surfaced is the one kilometre stretch approaching the town from the Maynooth side. I'm guessing that was done for photographic purposes when the upgrade to the quayside in Kilcock was completed.
06-06-2017, 19:51   #30
Mercian Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_1 View Post
Is it from this spot the Royal Canal Way becomes all smooth and road bike friendly going West?
Maybe even from a bit further east on the county boundary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by velo.2010 View Post
Thinking that the route along the canal from Maynooth to Kilcock had been tarmacked, I went down that way last week. Got onto the canal path and found it to be that loose bitumen/asphalt surface - completely inappropriate for road bikes and skinny tyres. Tried again from the Kilcock side and the same thing. The only piece that is properly surfaced is the one kilometre stretch approaching the town from the Maynooth side. I'm guessing that was done for photographic purposes when the upgrade to the quayside in Kilcock was completed.
Was able to average about 23kph on the blinded stone sections on 25mm tyres. There has been a lot of debate elsewhere as to whether the full route to Galway should be Tarmac or a mix of blinded stone on the rural sections and Tarmac near towns. This seems to be Waterways Ireland preference and I for one would have no problem with it.
(4) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion