Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-01-2019, 16:22   #6826
twinsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiparus View Post

Is this appropriate "taking the lane"?
What a walnut
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-01-2019, 16:29   #6827
CramCycle
A wholly unreasonable man

Quote:
no he continued on until the third turn right.
As Enfalide says, unless he was taking that right it seems inappropriate.
11-01-2019, 16:30   #6828
Tombo2001

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

There are hundreds of thousands of international students/ young migrant workers in Ireland; and the first thing a lot of them do when they get here is buy a bike.

I would bet a tenner that lad is from continental Europe.
Thanks from:
11-01-2019, 16:40   #6829
Enfilade

I don't know the road or what traffic is like on it so maybe he feels it's better to be there than have to attempt to cross 2 lanes when his turn comes up.

I do this on one similar stretch which wouldn't be a good idea to cross from left to right close to the junction to go right but it's about 250-300 meters and If I get anything behind me I stick my right arm out to let the driver know why I'm there.
Thanks from:
11-01-2019, 16:45   #6830
Mickiemcfist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfilade View Post
I don't know the road or what traffic is like on it so maybe he feels it's better to be there than have to attempt to cross 2 lanes when his turn comes up.

I do this on one similar stretch which wouldn't be a good idea to cross from left to right close to the junction to go right but it's about 250-300 meters and If I get anything behind me I stick my right arm out to let the driver know why I'm there.
Coming out of Waterford I think, but either way it's pretty clear it was not busy at that time. We don't have to find excuses for every cyclist. Like car drivers, a lot of cyclists are twats
Advertisement
11-01-2019, 17:31   #6831
Chiparus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombo2001 View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

There are hundreds of thousands of international students/ young migrant workers in Ireland; and the first thing a lot of them do when they get here is buy a bike.

I would bet a tenner that lad is from continental Europe.
I think you may be correct , he caught up with me about 600 m later at the traffic lights , He had a exotoc look about him ( last few sec in the vid)

11-01-2019, 17:46   #6832
Duckjob

Quote:
Is this appropriate "taking the lane"?
Even if he was trying to "take the lane" his positioning within the lane is very odd - too far to the right - like he's nearly encouraging drivers to skim by him on the left. Doesnt seem like a very safe riding strategy.
(2) thanks from:
11-01-2019, 20:10   #6833
5uspect

So I got run over this evening. I was coming down through Inchicore on Suir road north towards Kilmainham. There’s a junction on the left as you come around a bend. I had to brake as a car decided to cross into the cycle lane and mount the footpath to take the turn. As I came around the corner a VW pulled out in front of me and I went over the bonnet and down on the main road on my back.

Next thing I know some sort of people carrier coming the opposite direction uses this as their opportunity to turn into the side road and over my back wheel with me under the bike. ****er didn’t stop either.

The VW driver in fairness was contrite and I got his details. Not sure what state the bike is in but the back wheel wasn’t too bent out of shape and I was able to limp home.

I guess I should go see a doctor and get checked out. The adrenaline has started to wear off and I’m sore all over and I’ve a cut on my face.
11-01-2019, 20:14   #6834
ED E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5uspect View Post
I guess I should go see a doctor and get checked out. The adrenaline has started to wear off and I’m sore all over and I’ve a cut on my face.
Do. If only for the painkillers you'll soon be in need of.
(5) thanks from:
Advertisement
11-01-2019, 20:34   #6835
Pinch Flat

Four days commuting on the bike this week, same junction, two crazy incidents. So a 50% hit rate of craziness.

The junction is the one turning right into the Phoenix Park at Park Gate St. It is where I’m going to come a cropper some day. Traffic a bit lighter and I’m leaving work a bit later, so motorists build up crazy speed before hitting this junction.

Incident 1 - Tuesday

Turning right into the park. Hand out. Well lit - hi vis etc. Some crazy bint comes outside my right hand side, horn blaring. She’s going straight on towards chapelizod. But hey there’s a cyclist in her way.

Incident 2 - today

Same junction, turning right, hand out, well lit. Crazy woman behind comes up my left, swings across in front of me. Almost hits me and the cyclist in front of me. She’s going right as well, up the Phoenix Park. I’m almost forced by her into traffic coming the opposite direction by her idiotic move.

I’m going to have to avoid this junction. Just getting too crazy with too many impatient idiots in cars who see cyclists as mere objects, not humans making their way home.

Last edited by Pinch Flat; 11-01-2019 at 20:43.
(3) thanks from:
12-01-2019, 09:29   #6836
CramCycle
A wholly unreasonable man

Quote:
So I got run over this evening. I was coming down through Inchicore on Suir road north towards Kilmainham. There’s a junction on the left as you come around a bend. I had to brake as a car decided to cross into the cycle lane and mount the footpath to take the turn. As I came around the corner a VW pulled out in front of me and I went over the bonnet and down on the main road on my back.

Next thing I know some sort of people carrier coming the opposite direction uses this as their opportunity to turn into the side road and over my back wheel with me under the bike. ****er didn’t stop either.

The VW driver in fairness was contrite and I got his details. Not sure what state the bike is in but the back wheel wasn’t too bent out of shape and I was able to limp home.

As well a s a doctor, did you call the Gardai. Great that the VW driver was contrite but the people carrier left the scene of an accident and caused property damage.

Either way, get too doc first, getting yourself checked over first is the most important thing.
(2) thanks from:
12-01-2019, 16:36   #6837
5uspect

Haven’t gone to the doctor yet nor have I called the Gardai. I was doored a couple years ago and the driver drove off and it felt like I was wasting their time.
12-01-2019, 16:52   #6838
jjpep

Quote:
Haven’t gone to the doctor yet nor have I called the Gardai. I was doored a couple years ago and the driver drove off and it felt like I was wasting their time.
One of the sad things for me that seemed to mark the transition from childhood to adulthood was the realisation that the gardai are not some kind of wonderful protectors who are there to look out for us. There civil servants, and unfortunately like many civil servants (apologies for the generalisation but I can only speak of my experiences) have to be cajaoaled to do there job.

Make sure you report what happened. Tell them you want to make a statement. They may or may not try to put you off or make little of the incident. Don't let them. Make the statement, give as much details as you can. It may lead to nothing. It may be useful to the next person who reports some one but don't let them try to put you off. What happened you was serious and could have been a lot worse.
14-01-2019, 13:02   #6839
Enfilade

Witnessed a seriously close pass this morning in the car, but not in the usual way.

Cyclist up a head was keeping out from the kerb as there are a series of diy concrete ramps added beyond the kerb to allow people easier entry to their driveways...... thats another rant, but I'd guess he was about 75cm away from it so correct position. Car in front of me overtakes him and gives him plenty of space but not so much for the on coming car who felt the need to swerve a little to avoid losing her wing mirror followed a prolonged beep. Even with the swerve I'd have said there were only cm's between the cars. There were only 2 cars on coming so it would only have been a matter of seconds for the car to have waited.
14-01-2019, 13:47   #6840
benjamin d

Not a near miss really but I was driving to work this morning and there was a jeep in front of me with a cyclist in front of him who was all the way in against the kerb approaching a traffic island with cars parked on the left of it just beyond. The guy on the bike was basically inviting the jeep to squeeze him, and he did. I held back until he got to the parked cars and sure enough he lurched out around the first car without so much as a glance behind. If I'd followed the jeep through he would've swerved right under my car. Not to victim blame but people who cycle like that must have an awful impression of how dangerous the roads are since they're asking for trouble.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion