Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-01-2019, 17:16   #5926
TheChizler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubadub View Post
It is not a law. In the RoTR they use the word "must" and "should", and "must" refers to laws, "should" is their own recommendations.

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%...f_the_road.pdf
Shock! It's actually a law for a group! Or at least was in 1964. Who knew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1964/si/294/made/en/print
35.—

(3) During lighting-up hours at least one person from a group of twenty persons or more walking along a road shall carry a lamp showing a white light visible for a reasonable distance in the direction in which the group is walking and a red light visible for a reasonable distance in the opposite direction.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
09-01-2019, 17:30   #5927
Tombo2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by xckjoo View Post
What annoys me about the High Viz push is that it's treated like they're protection from a speeding car, instead of the minor visual aid they are. The primary personal responsibility should lie with the person controlling the car and all this recent High Viz talk is being used to obfuscate that responsibility. It also fosters the mindset that you can drive faster and with less care because you'll see everyone from miles away (untrue).
The illustration I hark back to - and it seems to apply to so many walks of life these days, largely I feel due to social media and the platform this gives people to voice their opinions - is one used by an American pastor with reference to the American far right.

He was talking about why the far right has deep concerns about for example abortion and relative lack of concern about divorce or adultery......

And his point was - people are far more vocal about the sins that don't apply to them.

And I know that's true for personal experience - for example, I don't own a dog - and I give out yards about dog owners and dog crap everywhere. If I owned a dog, probably wouldn't do that so much.

I think at this point, social media and media - I'd be reluctant to say it should grow up - but I wish it would grow up. Social media has become a tool for divisiveness in society, and this conversation about hi viz for cyclists or pedestrians, its just an other example of that. So its really not even worth discussing this one instance of it - albeit I brought it up myself - because there will be many more punters in the Irish Times, the Journal, Facebook etc etc who don't walk in country roads at night, but believe that because they saw someone in a black jacket while driving the car ...... that this is a scourge and needs to be outlawed.

Last edited by Tombo2001; 09-01-2019 at 17:34.
(3) thanks from:
09-01-2019, 20:16   #5928
CramCycle
A wholly unreasonable man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford2600 View Post
It was a national primary road.
Apologies, it was a straight stretch of road, so not sure what the excuse was if he had his high beams on. He says it was a drissly evening, damp roads, dark, not really the time to be doing the limit, but thats not the attitude here.

Quote:
Skid marks? He didn't emergency brake.
Apologies

Quote:
Skid marks even analysed correctly and with an accurate measure of friction factor of surface is a very accurate method of establishing speed.
The Garda in that case used a throw distance calculation which is flaky at best but very dependent on initial conditions at impact;pedestrian posture/movement, car bumper/bonnet geometry, precise location of impact. The garda couldn't have had accurate reliable information an all initial conditions and shouldn't have used it.
I must have gotten confused, I was talking to friends working in forensics in the UK and France when they were back for a wedding and they said the methodology used was a crock of sh1t, my memory must have merged me thinking he breaked and their statement, so sorry about that. All they told me was the methodology used here is flawed(they used less polite language), so my mistake. The fact that the driver openly admitted he thought he was doing 85kmph (just above the limit your honour), says to me that it is far from accurate.
I am not blaming the driver here, i am blaming the culture. I have been berated by passengers for dropping below the speed limit when I lose sight lines or can't see far enough ahead of me. The last time someone done it, the irony was we passed where a school friend had passed away, in an accident directly attributed to speeding.
Don't get me wrong, the pedestrian was an idiot for running across the road with oncoming traffic as well, two wrongs don't make a right though.
09-01-2019, 20:38   #5929
magicbastarder

posts on hi-vis move to the hi vis megathread, found here
(3) thanks from:
11-01-2019, 13:24   #5930
Tell me how

Interesting piece on start of Ciara Kelly show from an architect/cyclist listener talking about issues with cycling lanes being blocked.
The architect part is relevant as he has some awareness of current guidelines and practices in allocating space to cycle lanes.

A delivery driver called in and said they would love to deliver items in the middle of the night but A, businesses are usually closed and B, residents don't want the sound of delivery trucks at 04:00.

Be interesting if electric-vehicles could alleviate part of this issue.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-01-2019, 13:29   #5931
Mc Love

That architect was Ciaran Ferrie I believe!
Thanks from:
11-01-2019, 13:45   #5932
magicbastarder

it was indeed.
https://twitter.com/ccferrie/status/1083703729797382145
Thanks from:
11-01-2019, 14:23   #5933
Hurrache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell me how View Post
A delivery driver called in and said they would love to deliver items in the middle of the night but A, businesses are usually closed and B, residents don't want the sound of delivery trucks at 04:00.

My wife at one stage worked alongside Dublin City Council in trying to come to an agreement as to best practice for deliveries into stores in the city centre.

As it is drivers should be switching their engines off anyway. But the noise complaints usually stem from either the noise of roll cages being dragged back and forth, or the hum of the refrigeration units as opposed to the noise of them arriving and departing.
11-01-2019, 14:26   #5934
Tell me how

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrache View Post
My wife at one stage worked alongside Dublin City Council in trying to come to an agreement as to best practice for deliveries into stores in the city centre.

As it is drivers should be switching their engines off anyway. But the noise complaints usually stem from either the noise of roll cages being dragged back and forth, or the hum of the refrigeration units as opposed to the noise of them arriving and departing.
Or the beep beep beep of the reversing siren.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
11-01-2019, 14:27   #5935
xckjoo

Quote:
Interesting piece on start of Ciara Kelly show from an architect/cyclist listener talking about issues with cycling lanes being blocked.
The architect part is relevant as he has some awareness of current guidelines and practices in allocating space to cycle lanes.

I don't really blame delivery drivers for this kind of thing. They pull up where they can and are usually under tight time constraints so can't spend 20mins looking for parking nearby. Like most of these things it's a planning issue. I'm sure most delivery drivers park loading bays where available.

Now the lads that pull up to nip to the shop can f right off
11-01-2019, 14:31   #5936
AndrewJRenko

Quote:
Quote:

I'm sure most delivery drivers park loading bays where available.
Not in Ranelagh at SuperValu - grand loading bay at the back, but vans and trucks regularly block the cycle lanes for deliveries. They even put out cones to keep cars off the cycle lanes so that only their vans can block them.
(3) thanks from:
11-01-2019, 14:34   #5937
xckjoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJRenko View Post
Not in Ranelagh at SuperValu - grand loading bay at the back, but vans and trucks regularly block the cycle lanes for deliveries. They even put out cones to keep cars off the cycle lanes so that only their vans can block them.

I was thinking my comment was fairly anecdotal when I posted it
(3) thanks from:
11-01-2019, 19:56   #5938
tomasrojo

Quote:
I don't really blame delivery drivers for this kind of thing. They pull up where they can and are usually under tight time constraints so can't spend 20mins looking for parking nearby. Like most of these things it's a planning issue. I'm sure most delivery drivers park loading bays where available.
It is an indirect subsidy to them though, meaning they're more competitive with small delivery vehicles than they would be if the parking/unloading rules were enforced properly.
(2) thanks from:
12-01-2019, 18:36   #5939
Hurrache

Apropos of absolutely nothing, Ed Power writes this in an article about the Irish nightclub in the Irish Times
Quote:
A thriving nightclub is as rare a sight in Irish cities as a cyclist stopping at a red light.

Last edited by Hurrache; 12-01-2019 at 18:49.
12-01-2019, 18:47   #5940
Qrt

[quote="Hurrache;109122133"]Apropos of absolutely nothing, Ed Power writes this in an article about the Irish nightclub in the Irish Times
Quote:
A thriving nightclub is as rare a sight in Irish cities as a cyclist stopping at a red light.[/url]
I came here to post the exact same thing. It’s quite shocking.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion